Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where can I find a 1982 Topps psa 9 Bob Bonner?

Comments

• Options
    I don't have a Bonner, but I do have a Jeff Schneider!

• Options
    I will settle for him.image
  • Options
    My mistake, it is only an 8. Who is that guy in the middle? The name sounds famaliar!

• Options
    The name sounds familier, I think it may be because his dad managed and his brother played in the major leagues.
  • Options
    it's just some jerk that does hotel commercials
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    That Ripken guy had some potential I hear...
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. It gave me a good laugh. Has anyone ever seen the following auction titles (or something similar):

1. 1968 Topps Jerry Koosman PSA *
    2. 1967 Topps Bill Denehy PSA *
    3. 1963 Topps Pedro Gonzalez PSA *
    4. 1978 Mickey Klutts PSA *
    5. 1965 Topps Fritz Ackley PSA *
    6. And my all-time favorite 1935 Goudey Ed Brandt PSA *

Of course, WITHOUT mention to that other guy(s), in this title description.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Jeff Schneider. Because Bob Bonner is on the left side of the card, presumably the number one position, everybody remembers him but noone remembers Schneider.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great thread. It gave me a good laugh. Has anyone ever seen the following auction titles (or something similar):

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Don't forget, Jerry Koosman had a respectable career. He actually may have had more rookie card recognition if he would have had his own rookie card. The guy had 222 career wins. Not shabby.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Here is a good read on the background of the '82 Topps Schneider

link
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Cool article about Schneider. Hey, he should be happy that he made it to the 'show' and was able to strikeout Reggie twice! That's awesome!

Friend of mine/former co-worker made it up to the 'big dance' and gave up a homer to Mo Vaughn in his first appearance if I'm not mistaken. But, he can always say that he made it! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    When I was a sophmore pitcher in high school I struck out Rickey Henderson.

But, my proudest baseball moment came when a kid that I coached, Steve Hosey, got a September call up from the Giants and hit a homer during his stint. He got traded to the Angels when they had a loaded outfield and Hosey never got into another ML game but he did "make the show".
  • Options
    i like the Hosey story. he was in some early 90's sets, wasn't he? bowman maybe? i remember the name. i have a similar story with Troy Bell who tore up the big east for BC and then was a first rounder for Memphis. never panned out in the NBA, i think hes in Italy now. i coached him at a basketball camp at the college i was playing at the summer between his soph and junior years in HS. he wasn't the best player there by any means yet, but you could tell he was gonna be special. we actually spent a lot of time together that week and he seemed like a really nice kid too. so if any of you modern basketball guys (are there any of those here?) have any Troy Bell auto-refractor-jersey-parallel junk laying around i'd love to work out a deal.

luke
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    While I haven't seen any auctions advertising the "other" player, I did remember seeing a completed auction that ommitted the name AND the grader:

"1978 Topps #707 Rookie Shortstops NM-MT 8"

The card, of course, was for a 1978 Molitor/Trammell card. It was PSA graded, and sold for about $45, so more than one person found it hiding.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Talk about small world. I was curious about the information about Bobby going to Africa to do missionary work. Sure enough, I was able to find out some information about where his life took him and sent him a short e-mail. This morning I had a nice e-mail from him in response. I definitely wish him well.
  • Options
    Kinda funny the way things turn out. It looks like I'll be doing an interview with Bob once I have a chance to line up some questions. If there is anyone with any questions you're interested in knowing the answer to, feel free to let me know either here or in a PM. Of course I'll be interested in his recollections on the '82 RC.
  • Options
    Amazing, I started this thread to be funny and have a little fun and it ends up turning into a Bob Bonner interview. Pretty Cool.
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing, I started this thread to be funny and have a little fun and it ends up turning into a Bob Bonner interview. Pretty Cool. >>

I thought the same thing. FWIW I may have found Jeff Schneider but I'm not 100% sure. I would love to talk to him in depth about playing winter ball with Cal in Puerto Rico.

Then again, a triple signed '82 RC would be pretty neat to see. I don't think I've ever seen one although I'm sure copies exist.
  • Options
    Looks like when Topps went with the retro Ripken RC they left off Bobby and Jeff:

• Options
    Wanted to give an update. I was able to talk to Jeff Schneider and had a chance to talk about things from the '82 Topps RC to playing winter ball with Cal in Puerto Rico. Talk about a great guy and a great conversation. He did say that he would be more than willing to answer some questions for an interview when I have the time to come up with the questions.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome. Keep us posted on the interview image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>That's awesome. Keep us posted on the interview image >>

Will do. I'd like to be able to get all of my questions in order to get the sessions done ASAP. That will enable me to keep from bothering anyone as we get to the holiday season. Second, I'll have the benefit of the holidays to type the sessions out if I need the time.

Like I already mentioned, Jeff was great to talk to me on the phone today. You never know how a call like that is going to be received. I guess I could've sent a letter, but I really wanted to talk to him. I've been fortunate in that I have never had anyone to hang up or yell at me. However, I have had more than a little bit of "Is this serious?!?!?!?!" on the other end. I guess it has to be strange to get asked about stuff that happened nearly 30 years ago. FWIW he also told me that he would be more than happy to sign a copy of the '82 Topps card if I want to send one to him.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Please tell me he turned out to be a raging drunk who's fixated on Cal Ripken and hates his guts for all his success. That would be awesome.
  • Options
    Tell Jeff Schneider that he was great in the Dukes of Hazzard. Was he bangin' Daisy?image
  • Options

<< <i>Please tell me he turned out to be a raging drunk who's fixated on Cal Ripken and hates his guts for all his success. That would be awesome. >>

I'm pretty sure that's not how it happened. image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great thread. It gave me a good laugh. Has anyone ever seen the following auction titles (or something similar):

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I don't remember the '63 Pedro Gonzalez card image, but I do remember the last card I needed for my '63 Dodger team set was a Ken McMullen RC. Cost me quite a bit as I recall. Musta been the Al Weis kid on the bottom right.

Geordie
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like when Topps went with the retro Ripken RC they left off Bobby and Jeff:

image >>

I kind of thought that was a little insult to Bob and Jeff when Topps did that Retro card. Granded, they're not the 'big item' on the card, but at least they made the show!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!