Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How do I tell a Pete Rose RC Counterfeit?

Going to look at some cards tomorrow and the guy has a Rose RC among others. I know these were somewhat popular to counterfeit and wondered what are the telltale signs that would clue me in?? Any help you can offer would be appreciated!

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charlie

First thing you're gonna need is a loupe/magnifying glass - even 5x will do the trick.

If ya got good eyesight - I believe you can tell without a magnifier.

Just look at the "C" on Pete's cap - the black outline around the C will turn to dots if it's fake.

Also, in the fake, there's a black outline in his cap - not seen in the real one.

The stock is thinner in the fake also - I believe if ya hold it up to the light - you can see thru the card a bit?

The real one - the black outline will be a SOLID line - what happened with the fakes - they were photo copies - so any black printer's lines will be photodots in the fakes rather than solid black lines.

mike
    Mike
  • Thanks alot...that really helps me! Hope to have a good find tomorrow but want to also make sure I don't get taken.
  • If there is a dot (or small spot) just above Ken McMullen's cap - it is fake. When I googled the card, I found a fake one and an authentic.

(tried to attach the file but failed - you will find it)

• How'd it go, Charlie?

By the way, if anyone can give me help on inserting an "http" link, that would be great...
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How'd it go, Charlie?

By the way, if anyone can give me help on inserting an "http" link, that would be great... >>

PM sent.

mike
    Mike
  • Thanks everyone for the PM's on how to post links.....I'll do some testing later on our tester thread, but I still want to know how Charlie did.
  • Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Hey... sorry I lost track of this post. Never got a chance to see the cards but stayed in contact and we're going to try again this Friday if all works out OK. If there's any story to tell at that point I'll certainly let you all know. Wish me luck!