Home Sports Talk

Woo Hoo! My Dream Of An 0-16 Season Lives On!

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
They were both close, but the NY Giants and the Cleveland Browns both came through and defeated the winless Dolphins and Rams. Rams and Dolphins both have byes in Week 9. And then in Week 10, Rams at New Orleans and Miami hosting Buffalo. I'm nervous.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    the Rams will win before the end of the year, but I'm not so sure about the Dolphins
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at their respective schedules and really haven't had a chace to see for myself how bad Miami is - not that I really want to - but the Rams look to be serious contenders for 0-16. I actually kinda hope it happens.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • an 0-16 season is just as an impressive as a 16-0 one image
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I think an 0-16 season is more impressive than a 16-0 season because, presumably, all teams try to win. But both are equally tough.

/s/ JackWESQ

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think an 0-16 season is more impressive than a 16-0 season because, presumably, all teams try to win. But both are equally tough. >>

Well, normally when a team clinches home field throughout the playoffs, they get easier to beat because they play their reserves more. Of course, if you're 15-0 into the last week, it's a little different than being 14-1. Also, given the way Belichick leaves Brady in the game to run up the score and pad the stats even when the score is 640 to 7, I'm not sure he'd put the subs in anyway.

The Hoodie had better hope no one tries to cheap shot his franchise while he's trying to throw a seventh TD with two minutes left in a 40-point game.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The Hoodie had better hope no one tries to cheap shot his franchise while he's trying to throw a seventh TD with two minutes left in a 40-point game.

Boy, times have changed, haven't they? If this type of blatent running up of the score happened even 20 years ago, the QB would be getting cheap shots all over the place. Guys have become too soft and too rich (mostly)...
  • I have never had to ask this before but if Miami and St Loius ends 0-16 how do they arrive at the no 1 pick - obvious they can't use head - to head or better record. So whats the tie-breaker?
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never had to ask this before but if Miami and St Loius ends 0-16 how do they arrive at the no 1 pick - obvious they can't use head - to head or better record. So whats the tie-breaker? >>

Strength of schedule is the next tiebreaker...
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never had to ask this before but if Miami and St Loius ends 0-16 how do they arrive at the no 1 pick - obvious they can't use head - to head or better record. So whats the tie-breaker? >>

Strength of schedule, based on the combined W-L records of each team's opponents.
    How awesome would this be?!

NEW YORK, NY. -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced today in the event the St. Louis Rams and the Miami Dolphins finish the season with identical 0-16 records, the Rams and Dolphins will meet each other at Wembly Stadium the Sunday following Super Bowl XLII, with the victor being awarded the first selction in the 2008 NFL Draft. All statistics from the game will count towards the 2007-08 regular season.

/s/ JackWESQ

0-16 is over for St. Louis. Which I guess was unrealistic from the start given that they have a decent offense. But Miami "manned" up to the challenge and gave up 10 points in the fourth quarter to Buffalo and came away with a 13-10 loss. Next two weeks? On the road at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and then, oh no, home to 1-8 Jets.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I hope no one breaks/ties TB's winless record.

No organization deserves it more.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Anyone know who the projected Top picks are for next year's draft?

Hey, I gotta have something to look forward to as a Dolphins fan. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pulling for the Niners to suck really bad, just to help the Patriots out!
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Damn! I was really hoping to go winless. I mean, once you hit 0-8, what's the point of winning? Oh well, the Rams would've just screwed up the first pick anyway.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    I don't want to jump the gun, but ESPN is reporting that rookie John Beck will start for the Dolphins this week.

Beck to Start this Sunday

This may bode well for another loss. But then again, it may not because the defense may not have much information on him. Similar to baseball when a rookie is called up and pitches a shutout because the hitters haven't seen him before.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope the Fins win three or four games, no sense San Fran having a crappy season not to give the Pats first selection in the draft. image
    I was a bit nervous with Philly down at half and McNabb going out. But Feeley came in and played fairly well. Good thing is that Miami's offense scored zero TDs. Their only TD came off a Ted Ginn punt return for a TD. Next week, on the road at Pittsburgh. I see at least a 15+ point spread. Thoughts?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miami is looking pretty good for about 3 quarters each week, much like my Jets (until today, of course). Unfortunately for the Fish, Pitt will be awfully ornery next week now!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I could see why, e.g., their habitat is in the ocean, but I've always wondered why the Dolphins are commonly referred to as the fish. All things being equal, dolphins are probably closer to being a human than a fish given that dolphins are mammals, e.g. warm blooded, aren't born in a egg, breathes air, etc. But I digress.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Grote15, you're right. The Steelers will be quite onery after the loss. How on earth did the Steelers lose to the Jets? But there is a silver lining. Maybe the Jets versus the Dolphins in Week 13 won't be so difficult a game for the Jets.

• << <i>I think an 0-16 season is more impressive than a 16-0 season because, presumably, all teams try to win. But both are equally tough.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

• Is there a deal for the 49ers pick going to the Pats? I've seen it referenced a couple of times here.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a deal for the 49ers pick going to the Pats? I've seen it referenced a couple of times here. >>

I think the pats traded their pick in round 1 last year for 49ers #1 this year and #4 last year, then traded the #4 for randy moss.
  • Sheesh....so the Pats could end up with a Top 10 pick for sure.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Had to believe that Miami can keep this streak going with following schedule

PIT--7-3
    NYJ--2-8
    BUF--5-5
    BAL--4-6
    NE---10-0
    CIN--3-7
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sheesh....so the Pats could end up with a Top 10 pick for sure. >>

That is correct! We do have the '49ers First Round pick in next years draft...........Good Stuff huh? image
    Man, I hope no one was hoping for a big game from ... well anyone ... to save the fantasy football week. I think I would have lost one (1) hour of sleep if the Steelers had lost tonight. In any case, the dream lives on. Next week, versus the Jets, who scored all of three (3) points last week.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe a team can go without a win in this age of supposed parity in the NFL.
  • so, do they have their best chance of a victory over the hapless jets??

<< <i>so, do they have their best chance of a victory over the hapless jets?? >>

YES!
    I guess the Jets didn't like being underdogs to an 0-11 team. Nice five (5) turnovers by Beck. The dream lives on. Next week, versus the Bills, who squeaked out a victory against the Redskins. I'm still waiting to see what the spread is going to be when the Dolphins play the Pats.

/s/ JackWESQ

<< <i> I'm still waiting to see what the spread is going to be when the Dolphins play the Pats.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Im thinking of 30 points maybe...
  • Pretty much sums it up right here. They had the 2-9 Jets at home and still lost by nearly four touchdowns.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this fish have given up now. I think even the Knicks could beat them.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, they still have to play the Ravens. I'm from the People's Republic of Maryland and think that the Ravens are playing very badly. The Dolphins might play well that game. It would be the perfect symbol of the Ravens . We'll see.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
    To Calaban7,

Typically, I take it one loss at a time. But when the goal is 0-16, you take it, well, now four (4) losses at a time. And I have to admit, @ Buffalo, versus Baltimore and versus Cincinnati are winnable games. I need more turnovers from Beck.

/s/ JackWESQ

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    from 17-0 in 72 i think it was?? to 0-17 this year more than likley image
    Great effort by the Bills, rolling out to a 24-7 lead after the first quarter and a 31-7 lead at halftime. Next week, the Dolphins are at home versus Baltimore.

/s/ JackWESQ

• << <i>Great effort by the Bills, rolling out to a 24-7 lead after the first quarter and a 31-7 lead at halftime. Next week, the Dolphins are at home versus Baltimore.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

You sure it was "effort" by the Bills? Looked more like no effort by the 'fins.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't worry, they still have to play the Ravens. I'm from the People's Republic of Maryland and think that the Ravens are playing very badly. The Dolphins might play well that game. It would be the perfect symbol of the Ravens . We'll see. >>

As I was saying, they still had to play the Ravens.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravens quit the season that Monday night vs NE.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Matt Stover sucks and I am heartbroken. This thread comes to an end.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • the dream is dead!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Sucs for being the only team in NFL history to go winless.

No franchise deserves it more.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Mammals for finally getting the big W! I wouldn't count on getting a second next week though. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    1 win woooooooooooimage mght go on a streak lol , make two just for chits and giggles,start a streak like in 72 when they could actually play football 17-0 not 1-14 or whatever they are now,patchetic is a pretty good word,that coach prob be looking for a job next year,whoever it isimage