Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is this white stuff on my coin ????

I have had this coin for around 2 years and did not see the white 'stuff' on the coin when I purchased it.

Upon purchase I placed it in a 2X2 flip when I got home and later saw that the colouring had changed.

Perhaps the coin was dipped and had a reaction with the plastic window in the flip ?

I also noticed that a raw sovereign I bought from the same dealer was a slightly different yellow then my other sovereigns.

Many thanks.

The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your assumption is correct - sounds like the dealer might have not completely neutralized the surfaces after the dip.
  • Options
    Thanks Roman. image

Could NCS do anything about that ?
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea, Marcel image NCS does get back to you pretty quick if you post on their message board across the street.
  • Options
    Acetone is used by many to remove PVC contamination, since it doesn't react with metal and won't change natural toning.

If it is PVC contaminant, and that alone is the problem, NCS would be able to remove it and then pass the coin onto NGC for slabbing, rather than slabbing it NCS. At least, their advertising states such is the case. I've never tried it, and I don't know if you must specifically request it be passed on to NGC to be graded if there is no other problem. Perhaps, they do so as a matter of course, and perhaps you have to make the request in advance.
  • Options

<< <i> also noticed that a raw sovereign I bought from the same dealer was a slightly different yellow then my other sovereigns >>

If you were to line up all your sovs, you will notice quite a large variation in colour, some years quite gold, other years almost red.

It has to do with the amount of silver in the alloy, which sometimes was deliberately introduced to make striking some portraits easier other times its just natural variations in refining process.

The variations exist today, compare the 2005 coins with 2002 to give one example.
  • Options
    The whitish areas look like spots that were cleaned to me.
    knowledge ........ share it