Home Sports Talk
Options

Are the Rockies really just a farm club that snuck into the major leagues and got lucky for awhile?

Red Sox 6 Rockies 0 bottom of the 5th inning.

Comments

• Options
    Or could it be that the red sox are the best team in the majors this year?

Yeah, it could be that.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    sox 6 rockies 5 now,top 8th -now that was a very quick screw up,should have left other sox pitcher in , think they would have been better off!
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not lucky, they were just the best in a league that wasn't too good this year. Parity, I guess, but the even the best teams in the NL had weaknesses. Mets collapsed, San Diego blew it in the last game, Cubs struggled at times. Strange year.
  • Options

<< <i>Or could it be that the red sox are the best team in the majors this year?

Yeah, it could be that. >>

It was not meant as a putdown of the Red Sox just a comment on how bad the Rockies seem right now. The Red Sox are clearly the
    superior team.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Three cheers for the 2nd highest payroll being the best!

Edited to say: I'm happy for Red Sox Nation. Going to Games 1 & 2 in '04 made me a distant fan of theirs. However, I do find it humorous that some will bash the Yanks for their payroll yet have ZERO issues with the BoSox's. Can't have it both ways.

I'm just sayin' image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Three cheers for the 2nd highest payroll being the best!

Edited to say: I'm happy for Red Sox Nation. Going to Games 1 & 2 in '04 made me a distant fan of theirs. However, I do find it humorous that some will bash the Yanks for their payroll yet have ZERO issues with the BoSox's. Can't have it both ways.

I'm just sayin' image >>

This "payroll" thing that the Yankees get bashed for is a thing of the past as far as Im concerned. Red Sox brass finally figured it out- In order to beat the Yankees we needed to play their game, hence the Red Sox opening up their wallets.

But I will add that the Sox young guns have been a HUGE factor in our success this year.... Ellsbury, Youk, Pedroia, Papelbon, hopefully Lester and lets not forget about Bucholz- the sky is the limit for this kid!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    And don't forget Dice K getting the win last night and in game 7 of the ALCS. Not to mention Okajima out of the bullpen.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And don't forget Dice K getting the win last night and in game 7 of the ALCS. Not to mention Okajima out of the bullpen. >>

• Options
    did anyone think the rockpile had a chance? seriously? was anyone that drunk or delusional?? image The only good series in the post-season thus far was the Sox/Indians and Indians/Yankees.

NL series were a snoozefest and simply a prelude to their inevitable defeat...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Three cheers for the 2nd highest payroll being the best!

I'm just sayin' image >>

This "payroll" thing that the Yankees get bashed for is a thing of the past as far as Im concerned. Red Sox brass finally figured it out- In order to beat the Yankees we needed to play their game, hence the Red Sox opening up their wallets.

But I will add that the Sox young guns have been a HUGE factor in our success this year.... Ellsbury, Youk, Pedroia, Papelbon, hopefully Lester and lets not forget about Bucholz- the sky is the limit for this kid! >>

Absolutely. The big payroll (still $50+ Million less than the Yanks) is necessary, because the Yanks reside in the AL East with the Sox. They raised the bar, and the Sox had to respond in order to remain competitive. But, forget that for a minute - look at the great young nucleus of the Sox - a group of young players that should keep them at the top for a good long time.
  • Options

<< <i>
    However, I do find it humorous that some will bash the Yanks for their payroll yet have ZERO issues with the BoSox's. Can't have it both ways.

I'm just sayin' image >>

The Sox spend $50+ million LESS than the yankees, and do so because they have to do so in order to keep up with the yankee spending. But unlike the yankees, the sox actually make that spending payoff (this will be their second world series title won since the yankees have won one).

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    However, I do find it humorous that some will bash the Yanks for their payroll yet have ZERO issues with the BoSox's. Can't have it both ways.

I'm just sayin' image >>

The Sox spend $50+ million LESS than the yankees, and do so because they have to do so in order to keep up with the yankee spending. But unlike the yankees, the sox actually make that spending payoff (this will be their second world series title won since the yankees have won one). >>

Actually, you are wrong, as usual.

Unadjusted payroll link

It was less than $50MM and that's not pro-rating Clemens' contract nor Dice-K's $50MM signing bonus.

And the BoSox were about $30MM ahead of the next team, again not including Dice's signing bonus.

So if the troll talks trash about someone's payroll (whos bandwagon team is over $100MM) and complains about payroll, is eating their cake and having it too.

Period.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>
    Unadjusted payroll link

It was less than $50MM and that's not pro-rating Clemens' contract nor Dice-K's $50MM signing bonus. >>

But Dice K didn't get a $50 million 'signing bonus' you simpleton - that went to his team for negotiating rights, so it's not salary. And you say I am 'wrong as usual'? Lame. Your own link doesn't include Clemens' contract which would have pushed that difference well OVER the $50 million I referenced...nice try, twit.

<< <i>And the BoSox were about $30MM ahead of the next team, again not including Dice's signing bonus. >>

IT WASN'T A SIGNING BONUS. Good god you are dense. The money went to his TEAM, not to HIM.

<< <i>So if the troll talks trash about someone's payroll (whos bandwagon team is over $100MM) and complains about payroll, is eating their cake and having it too. >>

Talking trash about payroll? Oh you mean how a team is able to spend MORE than $50 million more than #2 and still stink it up? That it took a herculean effort from Arod to single-handedly drag that franchise kicking and screaming into the playoffs?

But then, when your team is out of playoff contention by May, I wouldn't expect YOU to have any clue when it comes to baseball.