Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any information on this Papal Medal- Innocent VII

As best as I can gather, this medal is listed in Spink as number 298 or 299. Not sure which.
This is a large bronze medal, extremely high relief, measuring 40mm. Pardon the greasy look, but I have this one soaking in oil and just removed it to photograph it. It shows the obverse of Innocent VII and the reverse shows A pyramidal rock with winds blowing on it.

There are a couple of planchet flaws on the reverse right field and some yahoo tried to clean the reverse at K6.
The medal had a lot of gunky buildup on the reverse under the cleaned area that came right off with a little acetone. The discoloration was already present, as was the scratches. I wish that the person who tried to scrape off the residue had tried acetone first and avoided the obvious attempt at removal.

The medal has a rough edge to the surface- not sure if it was cast.
Any help would, as always, be appreciated by those who know more than I.

Sorry for the pics quality--I am still in the learning curve with a new camera.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Lincoln 298 and 299 are the same medal as this. If you look at the notation, 299 is a "c3" inferior in quality to 298, a c1.

CNORP indicates that this is part of a series of restoration medals created by St Urbain in the late 17th & early 18th centuries and apparently struck for years thereafter. Saint Urbain designed a number of wonderful late baroque coins (Innocent XII and Clement XI that I'm aware of) so the fine design of the medal is not a surprise. The medal is not in Mazio since that reference considers the series to officially start with Martin V in1417. CNORP makes note and provides a list of the earlier resortations, but starts the analysis with Martin as well.

There are a number of series of these restorations, some of very fine style others very crude. The idea was to extend the series back to S. Peter.

Another nice item.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I can't add anything to what STLNATS has mentioned, but wanted to say nice medal! I look forward to more posts of your medals as you grow your collection.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys,
    Your help is appreciated.
    Aside from those reverse scratches, this is a really nice medal.
    After about a year in oil, I will hopefully be able to store this properly and let the scratches re-tone over normally and pass this medal on to the next generation in better shape than it is nowimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"