Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

TOREX this weekend.

Anyone in Toronto for it this weekend?

To me, it was a little disappointing. Same dealers, very little new Darkside inventory. There were two common date Mexican 8 Reales, both in XF, both overpriced ($175 and $195). I was also very surprised by the lack of Mexican Cap'n'Rays, which are usually plentiful. Couldn't go home empty-handed, so picked-up Spink's "Coins of England" as a general reference, as well as a Chilean Revolutionary Peso from Randy Weir, who is a very knowledgeable dealer with some nice coins.

Here's the Peso - I really liked the toning on it:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    image I love it. I have a soft spot for revolutionary and siege coinage.

I had looked at a couple on eBay but not as nice as that one!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TO is getting so expensive now, especially with the strength of the C$.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I overheard dealers talking about losing U.S. customers due to that, Don.

Hus - I know what you mean about siege/revolutionary coinage image
  • Options
    What does it cost to park in Toronto these days? $50/day?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I paid $10.50, but that's Canadian - so around $50 U.S. sounds right image (just kidding, just kidding...) Plus Don, you should know that you don't have to worry about a place to park your car, as long as I'm here. Just give me a holler next time you're coming this way.

Btw - I re-shot the Chilean. Under-exposed it a bit to compensate for all of the light bouncing off the surface. It's a pretty tricky toner, since the reverse is not completely flat.

• Options

<< <i>I paid $10.50, but that's Canadian - so around $50 U.S. sounds right >>

May be soon.

Toronto is a great city. We have gone to a few TOREX shows but as you stated, mainly the same dealers and the show really isn't all that big. The last one we went to had about 40 dealers. Is it much bigger now?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Nope, about the same. Perhaps more will show-up next year, when they move the show to the Airport area.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know Weiss was still in business. He has helped me long ago with some very nice GB bits.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    D-oh, it's not Weiss, it's Weir... I edited the original post.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody have access to a list of price realized from the Charles Moore auction at Torex? I've contacted Moore's firm without response.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, Weir, I even forgot his name....I want to get back on his list and need to look him up.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody have access to a list of price realized from the Charles Moore auction at Torex? I've contacted Moore's firm without response. >>

From what I understand, these are not going to be available for at least another week. Charles Moore is at NUPHILEX in Montreal this weekend.