Home Sports Talk
Options

The Red Sox logo on the infield grass.

PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
Anyone know how the groundscrew is able to cut the logo into the infield grass? My guess is they shoot a projected image onto the field and cut the grass in the opposite direction to make the image stand out, but it's just a guess.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an excerpt:

Dave Mellor is a painter with a canvas of grass and a palate with just two colors: green, and lighter green.

The Boston Red Sox groundskeeper's work is on display again this October, his gallery the lush grass of the Fenway Park infield. Using a combination of mowers and the spray from a hose to get each blade just right, Mellor has cut a 90-foot square Red Sox logo into the infield for the baseball playoffs and an eye-catching checkerboard into the outfield.

His designs, which he sketches out with the help of his two daughters, attract a lot of attention, and they landed him a book deal that allowed him to translate his techniques to the suburban lawn. But every good groundskeeper knows the real secret: You mow for show, but you rake for dough.

from

HERE
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Barndog beat me to it.

Think of it like a really big stencil.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts