Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1969-S DDO Graded Top Pop!!! Recent discovery

PCGS Certifies 1969-S Doubled Die Cent

- October 25, 2007
Yes, you can still find valuable coins. Professional Coin Grading Service has certified a recently discovered modern rarity, a 1969 San Francisco Mint doubled die obverse Lincoln Cent. It’s graded PCGS Mint State 64 Red and tied for the finest known!

The coin was discovered by Michigan collector, Michael Tremonti, who was examining two rolls of uncirculated 1969-S cents on October 3. After consulting with well-known error-variety expert, Ken Potter, Tremonti submitted the coin to PCGS.

“I was totally amazed that this coin could turn up out of nowhere. The coin is completely original and full mint red. It’s a beautiful near-Gem example,” said David Hall, PCGS co-founder and president of Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT). “What an incredible find! This could be a six-figure coin.”

Including this latest discovery piece, the PCGS Population Report indicates only 23 1969-S doubled die cents from Very Fine to MS-64, and only two are graded Mint State Red.

The coin discovered by Tremonti has strong doubling on the obverse in the date, 1969, and the words, LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST. It’s described by Potter as “a Class I Rotated Hub with counter-clockwise doubling.”

A1969-S doubled die cent, graded PCGS MS-64 Red Brown was sold for $85,100 in the Bowers and Merena Auctions sale in August. The Tremonti coin is full red, tied for finest known with one other MS-64 Red, and with no higher grade examples in the PCGS Population Report.

How many more are out there to be discovered???

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody selling a roll of 69 S cents on Ebay is going to make a lot of money!!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I buy EVERY 69-S BU 1c roll that crosses my path at coin shops and shows in my sphere of hunting
    (Pacific Northwest), especially when they cost $1.00-1.50/roll. Someday, I'll have gone through
    each roll. I haven't found a DDO yet.

I have to think there have to be a few still undiscovered.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Top Pop is MS65RD.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Top Pop is MS65RD. >>

You are correct!image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Top Pop is MS65RD. >>

Why does the PCGS pop report not show a 65RD?image
    Dan
  • Options

>>>Including this latest discovery piece, the PCGS Population Report indicates only 23 1969-S doubled die cents from Very Fine to MS-64, and only two are graded Mint State Red.<<<

Wow! Only 23 of these Lincoln varieties have been graded. They shouldn't even be required in the registry sets. Most collectors can only dream of owning this coin. image

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    Heck, we might as well require the 58 DDO too. image

Why not?

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    Cool story. Thanks for posting!
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, we might as well require the 58 DDO too. image

Why not?

RegistryNut image >>

Don't give them any ideas lol.image
  • Options
    As I recall I saw two DDO two 69-S in PCGS MS65 red at auction in LA in the mid 90's and one was fingerprinted and one was not. Did not make opening bids around $5k... wish I had bought the nice one. dr
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    The printed one (I believe) is now the 64RB (post "fixing").
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I recall I saw two DDO two 69-S in PCGS MS65 red at auction in LA in the mid 90's and one was fingerprinted and one was not. Did not make opening bids around $5k... wish I had bought the nice one. dr >>

I think maybe you're referring to the Dr Juan XII du Suros collection; he had a complete set of U.S. overdates plus a bunch of really nice variety coins. I know he had a 1970-S Lincoln Cent DDO in a low uncirculated grade, along with the PCGS 65RD 1969-S DDO. He was a bit ahead of his time in his appreciation for the rare varieties... I'd love to go back through that catalog and wonder what some of his coins would bring today.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor