Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Scher's Assault/ok baby steps back to the registry.

I got all the way out in 05..now I am all the way back in..excited and feeling competitive about building some great sets before I hit retirment age..My goal is to eclipse my previous sets by getting to the top in the Proof Seated arena for all denominations from 1858 forward and possibly older..im about halfway accomplished towards this part..Mint state Lib Nickels,,gonna be a tough one there are some rough customers above me..And the tip top of the classic commems in the 144piece version..i have already add'd the subsets Oregon,Texas etc..Watch out Big E,Mr Li and Mitch..im gonna do my very best to ferret out the stars..im way way behind here and its gonna be fun to grow the set.. when i get it around 80% done or to the point that i am proud of it i will list in the 144 section..probably wouldnt even make the first page today...all the best fellow registry enthusiasts..and feel free to send me a line about any of those crusty extra's layin around..
Bruce Scher

Comments

• Options
    Bruce - we need pictures
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>..Mint state Lib Nickels,, >>

Looks like i may be dropping down a spot image

Good luck and i'd love to see pics as you go!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    yehawwwwwww....he is back

however

no need to rush into it....granted when the opportunity presents itself buy a group...but as you know those deals are few and far between so be prepared for the long haul

it cant be done in a few years with coin after coin after coin with what i call " THE LOOK"...now you can do what jfs did....half monsters and half not ...but it showed up in the end and the " players " all knew it......and for ever more when mentioning that set they all talk about the monsters and then sniker about the poo as the end result in it`s entirety shouldnt show up on the richtor scale...and for those in the know....it doesnt

as you know it takes time to grow a set that coin after coin after coin after coin is a moose ......where as you wouldnt kick one of them outa bed....btw there are some albino moose out there......love the deep dish look on the cali ....monster toned or lustering white....also there are some coins that just dont come monster toned...period...but if they have the " star " look....buy em

i have been working on my set for 2 decades now so its almost impossible to improve my set....so i started another....so im still around....its called " star treck " and captain kirk`s instructions were plain and simple...to be in it..it must have a " star" so as you can imagine its a beaut.....since they dont give ms 69 coins stars....my ms 69 antietam cant even be in it...so the bar is high

as for myself...speaking of the ms 69 antietam....i enjoy the hunt and the comradre just as much as my coins...i love eating dinner with a few of the guys ( and girls ) telling stories like the time a dealer ( who wrote a book on commems ) sold me a card of antietams....( they come 5 to a card )....and when i asked him how much he said 5 times 6 money....i said mmmmmmmm ok ( with a big fat grin ) ....walked over to the tpg and got them back in a few hours...as i peeked ( like a kid getting his final exam scores ) .....the first coin was graded 68...I SAID..................YEHAWWWWWWWWWWW....it was such a rush...while i have never done drugs ...there is no cocaine in the world that could do what seeing that first 68 did to me..WHAT A RUSH...then comes the second one.........68 again...............holy sheet...payday for reading all those grading books...&^%$$*(*(((&*&...then the 3rd.....67.....ok ok..not bad....heck i paid 6 money...so i was way way ahead.....then the 4th...68 again.....HOLY SNIKES.....TOUCHDOWN!!!!!....by then i was jumpin all around the borse and nobody knew why or what the heck was wrong...rrrr or right i should say

now the last.....door number 5.....come baby 67 or 68 as now i was gettin greedy.....greed is good ya know....sometimes...anyway here comes the 5th...come baby..as i peeked

then i sheet my pants.............A WHOOPER WHOOPER WHOOPER...DING DING DING...you of thought i picked the the millon dollar case on howie`s show....

a whoopin ms 69..............i hit the roof....in fact i stayed up there 15 minutes....that was cooler than cool....later that night i went back to the hotel.....took the pillow from the empty bed next to mine and proped them up against it like soldiers and stared at them ...sure was cool...to me at least...i was on a high for a week

next day i wondered over to sheps table and he said...'have you heard...i ate dinner with one of the graders last night....and they made a 69 antietam and 3 68 s on 1 invoice.....there comes that rush again.....as i reached into my bag and pulled em out and said...you mean these!!!!

his face lit up with a huge smile and he said....well i`ll be dammed ...congradulations

now i have dozens of like kind stories and way too numerous for right here now...but sometime i will tell another...maybe at dinner sometime as i also have some whooper football stories as well

so enoy the hunt..its blast

monsterman

ps i sold the 3 68s and the 67.....kept the 69....and put the 60k into 12 other commems ( some 68s some 67s and are all 68s today).btw 68s back then were a lot cheaper than the goin fare today.....and put the original 5 k back in the bank....the 67 i sold and bought a certain very unusual coin with the money that i really new was special ..i guess eveyone else missed it in this auction i was at....actually the fact is i was sitting next to kenny duncan and as the coin was getting closer to be sold i asked him about it...i said i was thinking about buying it as it looked unusual but i had doubts...he said buy it..trust me..its very special....do your homework son and youll love that coin....so i did....as it turned out i did my homework..did a paper on it......it was my first discovery coin....when i finally got pcgs to understand it.....they graded it ( a morgan dollar ) bmpr...pop 1 and only 1 ( aka branch mint proof) and i traded it heads up for my ms67 lafayette...

and that is how one ends up with 12 ms 68s monster wonder coins to die for...a wonder coin monster 69 antietam ...and the to die for "last word" 67 laffayette all for free....which just tickles the bejeebers outa me even to this day.....

and as paul harvey says...now you know the rest of the story

but i have alot more...many more....some day at a show i will share some of them with you
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

monsterman.......brother, I sure do enjoy reading your posts.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce is back! That's good news .... I love how you build your sets.
    Doug
  • Options
    Greg..you crack me up..
    Bruce
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    "since they dont give ms 69 coins stars"

Oh yes they do......

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Glad to hear you're back in the hunt Bruce. image Competition is always good. Makes you appreciate the wins that much more. image

<< <i>monsterman.......brother, I sure do enjoy reading your posts. >>

• Options
    onlyrosies

>>>Oh yes they do......

your right ...now they do...but when they first started the star they didnt

the star is only seen on the bolder type for the grade.....the 69 antietam has the old thin stroke on the script

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

• Options
    i dont know how to post a pic...but here is the link...to my 33-d oregon in 68*

any one know how??

monsterman

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice Oregon.
    Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Heck Greg..I havent even figured out how to post or take a decent pic..i have a lot of cool stuff im gonna true view maybe that will make em ez to post..but i have seen the script change you speak of..wonder how many different pcgs/ngc holder and varieties there are..someone here collects em. Thats a cool looking dime roosie shows and looks ez(maybe) with holder and all..a scan?
    Bruce
  • Options
    The 46 Roosie was graded about 5 years ago. Here's a pic of your oregon

• Options
    roosie

you da man....can you do another..

.here is a cool coin..its white but realy cool.....came from john sinoock estate and as you can see he made a few for himself.....the key to this coin is the concave and convex die polishing lines where as both the die and the planchet were polished to strike the coin........and a coupla thousand more punds of striking pressure and wa la....a peronal coin for the man who made all the grant stars

it is so stuck up ( like no other ) you can read the note on the cabin door...it says " gone fishing be back at 4:00 "

monster man

ps..thanks in advance roosie

• Options
    Here you go Greg.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet coins Gregg! Eyepoppers!
    Doug
  • Options
    doug

>>>>Sweet coins Gregg! Eyepoppers! >>

thankyou

augie

augie augie augie augie...oi oi oi

thanks my friend as you can see i did it.....bad pic of my 38-p texas....but its a monster through and through.....next job is to get better pics

monsterman

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    What a GREAT thread, when I was a kid I used to make deliverys to Mr. Scher shop.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go, Bruce - a present for you! image

• Options
    Hey..I know that coin.. thanks for the post Bruce..I lack the computer skills(for a bit anyways) of posting my coins here..I would venture to say that is the top dog for that date and type..I will treat it nicely and not bang it up or nothin.
    Bruce Scher