Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I've been thinking about changing my collecting interests

Over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking of changing my coin collecting interests from U.S. based, Bust type coinage, to Ancient coins. Ever since I was a little kid I have been introduced into three main genres of numismatics: Foreign coins (1st), U.S. coins & Ancient coins (a close 2nd and 3rd).

My first interest, foreign coins, was fueled almost exclusively from my dad. He wanted to get me to understand and learn about as many foreign countries as possible therefore we tried to collect atleast one coin from every country. (Note this was when I was between the age of 5 and 7/8) We accomplished a lot from this and got most of the countries, but for me foreign coins were too broad of a collecting interest. So, I turned to U.S. coins.

My initial interest in numismatics was fueled by my find of a Buffalo Nickel when I was 5 and then finding out that this coin was worth more than just 5c. My early interest consisted of any U.S. coin that I could afford, which limited my collecting to Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels, Indian Cents, Wheat Cents, and anything else I could find that wasn't overly expensive. My collection of U.S. coins has become quite expansive in the past 12-15 years since I started concentrating on U.S. coins and I am amazed as to what I have acquired, and subsequently spent on my collection.

Finally, I was introduced to Ancient coins from my dad when he gave me an ancient coin for my First Communion. I always thought that ancient coins were underappreciated, even when I was only 10 years old. I used to see them in my local shops for between $1 for crummy/ uncleaned ones, to $25-40 for nicer ones. I picked up a few silver roman coins whenever I didn't see ay new U.S. coins I needed, and the Ancient coins I picked up were Silver Roman coins that cost between $15 and $25; which for my age was a bit up a burden thus I could only pick one up per visit. I slowly expanded my ancient coin collecting on a part-time collecting basis. I collected Silver Parthian coins for about 3 years and amasses about 8-10 coins in that time. I still see ancient coins as a fairly underappreciated series, but I do notice that coins are catching on in value; some more than others. Also, when I notice the exobitant prices U.S. coins are attaining today, I feel that that money could be put to better use in Ancient coins.

Because I am thinking of turning my attention to Ancient coins, would like to find one period to collect. There are three main genre of Ancient coins I would like to collect: Roman, Greek, or Parthian. Within these series are broken down time periods (excuse my novice ignorance in pronunciation). I would like to focus on Silver coins that have neat depictions and scenes on them (i.e. olympic scenes, battles, exotic animals, etc.)

If you collect ancient coins, please give me some ideas as to what series/ genre of collecting you like. Any input would be apprecited and I don't plan on selling my U.S. collection anytime soon. I also understand the bias for U.S. coins on this site thus I will post on the Ancient Coin Forum as well. Also, if many of you give me good enough reasons for not converting, then I don't think I will change my interest drastically.

Thanks for any and all input,
STONE

Comments

• Options
    Hi Stone:

The first step I would take would be spending a few weeks, or a few months,
    at the following site:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php

which is the Classical Numismatics Discussion Board. The resources available
    at the FORVM site, including the discussion board, are simply awesome.

Of particular interest is the Fake Ancient Coin Reports and Discussion section, as fakes
    are a big problem on online venues, like eBay... The "Known Fake Sellers" list, by itself,
    is worth its weight in gold, imho.

Next, checking out member's photo galleries would give you a good idea of the various
    areas to collect - there are some awesome collections assembled there.

Me, I'm into late roman bronzes (especially pieces with nice desert patina) but will soon
    start working on a high quality type set of roman rulers.

Hope this helped a bit.

John

John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CIVITAS, Josh Moran, is a forum member here and has an extensive inventory of Ancient coins. He is very easy to work with and is a endless source of information. He gets my highest recommendation.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep. Study plenty, but don't be afraid to get your feet wet in the meantime image

In addition to Forum ancients, just browse VCoins for a while. It'll get you in tune with what's out there and what the going rates are, plus there's plenty to simply drool over there too!

Other must see sites:
    Wildwinds
    CoinArchives

Enjoy! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have been collecting ancient coins on and off for 20+ years. I think a good starting place would be Roman Imperial coins. Those are fairly simple, the inscriptions are easy to learn to read and you will remember many Emperors from high school history class.

Greek coins can be a little more complex. Each city issued it's own distinct coinage and unless you know at least a little Greek, the inscriptions will be Greek to you (grin) making some hard to ID.

If you want to learn ancient Greek there are quite a few good books out there and it is not as hard as you might think. I have been studying it for about a month using a software program and a few textbooks and I have already been able to ID a few coins that were a mystery to be before.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've taken a crash course in ancient coins the past couple of days and must say that it is cool, expensive, and expansive.

I've not decided to focus on any one area yet, but my focus is beginning to narrow. Whenever I see a coin that I like or think is pretty unique, it turns out that it usually is and the price tag is so HIGH. Also, there are a lot of coins that are sold out (unfortunately) that I found to be appealing.

On the other hand there are a couple of coins that I like and may end up purchasing in the near future.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Here's another fellow you may want to get in touch with. Mike Covilli

http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/

Last I spoke with Mike he was living in San Diego though. Lots of info on his website.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    TTT