Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The mint's secrets???

An article in the Oct. 22 issue of Coin World (p.111) has got me wondering...does the U.S.Mint often keep "secrets" from us? image I mean...have they done this before? Could they still be doing it today?

If you haven't seen it, it is talking about the experimental $5 gold Sacs and the fact that it's taken 5 yrs. for them to respond to Coin World's questions about them. That's 5 yrs. of zipped lips!

What's got me wondering is that I'm still not convinced that the 2 Texas state quarters released in the BEP's "Texas Coin & Currency Set" aren't satin finish coins! I know, I know... I've read all the threads about them, I've talked to Pcgs and the mint, a year ago, about them, but knowing now that they, the U.S.Mint, have been "keeping" things from us kinda rekindles the thought. I can imagine the day they recognize them as such...imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    You didn't appreciate their openness on the Wisconsin extra leafs and how they happened? The folks who persisted in the accidental die gouge theory (how did they slither off that hook btw?) did it in full knowledge of the mint's history of not talking, and used that to further their absurd insistence that they were not intentional.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You didn't appreciate their openness on the Wisconsin extra leafs and how they happened? The folks who persisted in the accidental die gouge theory (how did they slither off that hook btw?) did it in full knowledge of the mint's history of not talking, and used that to further their absurd insistence that they were not intentional. >>

So they DO have a "history of not talking"? Does this go way back, or a much more recent "phenomenon"?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    smokin -

I am with you on the Satin Finish Texas Quarters released in the Texas C&C BEP set.

They are not circulation strikes. They certainly appear to be "test" SATIN finish strikes, bearing the 2004 date,

I know, I know, forum members will start to rip into me for saying it, but

we will learn the truth someday.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHHHH.....all the Sac 1$ in the US Mint issued jewelry has a burnished finish.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Absolutely. They are forever doing things that they
    don't announce or make generally public. I doubt that it
    usually rises to the status of "secret", but is more along
    the lines of the right hand not knowing what the left is
    doing.

For many years the mint never really explained the nature
    of mint set coins. When asked they used a set spiel about
    these being regular issue coins like those in circulation. A
    casual glance at the coins showed this simply was not the
    case. It was not until 1998 that the true nature of mint set
    coins was generally known and even today many of the de-
    tails or pictures of the operation have never been made pub-
    lic.

One never knows what's next when he collects these coins.
    It's not like it's just numismatic products either. They release
    lots of coins to circulation that are very nonstandard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>smokin -

I am with you on the Satin Finish Texas Quarters released in the Texas C&C BEP set.

They are not circulation strikes. They certainly appear to be "test" SATIN finish strikes, bearing the 2004 date,

I know, I know, forum members will start to rip into me for saying it, but

we will learn the truth someday. >>

You know, what really gets me is that one lady, I talked to several a year ago, at the mint told me they were satin finish coins! I was stoked when she said that! Maybe she slipped. Maybe she lied to me. Maybe she didn't know what the heck she was talking about. I assumed the third was probably the case knowing them. image Pcgs said that if & when the mint declared them as such then they, Pcgs, would recognize them as well. I don't understand how they, Pcgs, doesn't already know? Hopefully someday someone, like an attorney/researcher will uncover the true story about them. You know...just like the $5 gold Sackies! Took 5 yrs, but someone decided to talk. Till then my hopes remain! Imagine the value of a '04-D or an '04-P Satin Finish Texas State Quarter with a mintage of only 3,000???image
  • Options

<< <i>Yes. Absolutely. They are forever doing things that they
    doing.

lic.

lots of coins to circulation that are very nonstandard. >>

Thanks Clad! That's what I wanted to know!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    What's got me wondering is that I'm still not convinced that the 2 Texas state quarters released in the BEP's "Texas Coin & Currency Set" aren't satin finish coins! I know, I know... I've read all the threads about them, I've talked to Pcgs and the mint, a year ago, about them, but knowing now that they, the U.S.Mint, have been "keeping" things from us kinda rekindles the thought. I can imagine the day they recognize them as such

I am with you. I have 6 of these sets and also believe they are Satin Finish. However they are only the D coins not the P. Which makes them even more suspicious. Why two D coins in this set and not a P and D. If they had a P in their it would only cause attention to the D maybe? Other than the Freedom of Information Act, how else to do you get any acknowlegdement from the mint?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

doing.
    >>

Cladking is dead on. Never attribute to maliciousness what you explain by incompetence.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have known about the gold Sacagawea $5's for years, but we just could not prove it until the Mint 'fessed up. It's like the Cheerios dollar reverse design which I saw on a die trial in 1999, but which the Mint kept telling me had never been made in die form until the pictures of the gold Sacagawea $1's came out with the same reverse.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>What's got me wondering is that I'm still not convinced that the 2 Texas state quarters released in the BEP's "Texas Coin & Currency Set" aren't satin finish coins! I know, I know... I've read all the threads about them, I've talked to Pcgs and the mint, a year ago, about them, but knowing now that they, the U.S.Mint, have been "keeping" things from us kinda rekindles the thought. I can imagine the day they recognize them as such

I am with you. I have 6 of these sets and also believe they are Satin Finish. However they are only the D coins not the P. Which makes them even more suspicious. Why two D coins in this set and not a P and D. If they had a P in their it would only cause attention to the D maybe? Other than the Freedom of Information Act, how else to do you get any acknowlegdement from the mint? >>

Thanks for the reminder pf70. I have two of them as well and haven't touched them in over a year. Forgot they were both Ds.image

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    I believe at one time a few collectors found the 69-s doubled die cent..and asked the mint if they was a mint product.

the mints response was that a doubled die such as that surele wasn't possible...asked everyone that had one to send it in for verification.

some people did ...they immediately declared them as "countefeits" AND DESTRORED THEM!

THEN LATER THE WERE PROVED TO BE REAL! ......case in point....they're still finding them today in bank rolls.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

doing.

lic.

lots of coins to circulation that are very nonstandard. >>

image you said it sam!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

doing. >>

“In explaining any puzzling Washington phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit.” —Charles Krauthammer

While the mint isn't in Washington, the confines of the mint walls in P, D, and S surely can be considered little "remote Washingtons."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

doing. >>

“In explaining any puzzling Washington phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit.” —Charles Krauthammer

While the mint isn't in Washington, the confines of the mint walls in P, D, and S surely can be considered little "remote Washingtons." >>

If they are so incompetent, why are there so many MS/PF70's being slabbed?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember folks...it's all a conspiracy against you.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>
    If they are so incompetent, why are there so many MS/PF70's being slabbed? >>

Cause the TPG's are grading them as such.....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Note to self. Don't send anything to the mint for verification.
  • Options
    One researcher requesting 19th century records was told by a mint spokewoman "We rather burn them first." And I think a lot of old records were destroyed at about that time.

I have found that asking an embarassing question will cause your letter to disappear. One has to get a congressman to interecede to get an answer.

• Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    The US Mint has never admitted to melting gold coins confiscated
    in the early 1930s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file