Home Sports Talk
Options

Old topic, different twist. Maybe.

First situation

Your team is tied. Two outs, bottom of nine. You have a runner on second. Who do you want up?

Game seven of the World Series is on the line.

Second situation

Game is tied. 2 outs, bottom of nine. Noboby is on. Homer brings home the trophy. Who do you want up?

Why? If you want to spend the time!
Man I miss the 80's!!!

Comments

• Options
    First Situation: David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox

Second Situation: David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox

Why? His AVG with RISP and 2 out is astounding. This year he only had what one or two walk-offs? But still, he's good for a clutch hit.

Yes, I'm a Sox fan, so call me biased, that's cool, but you cant fake those stats... I'd say someone else if they had a better AVG w/RISP.

Just my $0.02 :-)

• Options
    Based on the way most fans evaluate things, they would have to choose Bill Mazeroski or they would be kidding themselves on their other claims.

-skin

But then when the player reverts back to his true ability, they would be scratching their head.

Real answer?

You take the best offensive player? Why? Because you won't be in as many of those situations where you are losing or tied as you propose! The better player will have you winning more often than a guy with the higher avg(whom most would prefer to happen to be up in that situation).

Those situations come up so rarely for an individual player, that his one dimensional ability(which is good for that specific situation) doesn't offset the overall hitting ability of a player with a lower average, but higher OB% and SLG%(which wins more games, and which is the goal).

So you take the best hitter.

• Options
    Nothing wrong with being biased. That is what makes a fan. Not an autbiographer.

It's up to each person to pick anybody they want.

Ortiz is a true " clutch hitter"

My All time favorite is Will Clark. He alway's seemed to come through. Very intense, clutch, Every at bat was like his last one ever!

I loved that quality in a person. 100%, 100% of the time! Good stuff.

As far a a guy for the homerun, I would take Puckett!

Im sure that many will think that's lame. But he was a stud in my book.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ortiz for both. I'm a Sox fan and I don't care about the statistics, even though his are quite good.
  • Options
    For sure.

I think last year was the very defintion of "clutch"

I dont ever remember a player making that big of a difference in crucial situations. That was un-real!
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    Both situations I'll take either Arod or Pujols...as they are hands down the best players in the game.
  • Options
    With those two guys you cant go wrong.

I know in baseball, anything can happen.

What do you think they will do to the record books.

A-Rod in 5-7 years?

Pujols in 10-12?

Crazy numbers if no injuries befall them in that time.
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take either Arod >>

Pop up to the infield or a strikeout.
  • Options
    In all of baseball it has to be Ortiz. He plays on another level in the post season.

On my team, the Yankees, I'd have to say Jeter for scenario # 1 and Damon for scenario # 2. or bring Paul O'Neill out of retirement image
  • Options

<< <i>With those two guys you cant go wrong.

I know in baseball, anything can happen.

What do you think they will do to the record books.

A-Rod in 5-7 years?

Pujols in 10-12?

Crazy numbers if no injuries befall them in that time. >>

IMO, there's absoulely NO QUESTION that A-Rod will be the HR king someday. I cant wait for the day it happens actually. I hate everything about Barry Bonds.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Ortiz has a lifetime batting average of .289. In the late innings of close games, with runners in scoring position, he has a lifetime average of .289. Of course we all know that he is the greatest clutch player in the history of sports, so the only explanation is that the stats are wrong. We all know that he is batting 1.000 in clutch situations. The only reason the Red Sox ever lose a game is that Ortiz occasionally lets up just to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    how about with the bases loaded!

career wise hit nearly .500 with the bases loaded image

one of my favorite cards from the 80's
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how about with the bases loaded!

career wise hit nearly .500 with the bases loaded image

I believe it is around .375-.380. You can check it out at www.baseball-reference.com. Despite my sarcasm, I do love Ortiz and am pulling for Boston in the series. I just do not think a player can turn it up a notch in tight situations. BTW ARod's numbers in his 3 LCSs are better than his regular season #s; he has fallen short in the Division Series.
  • Options
    In his career, Tabler was also known for his uncanny ability to hit with the bases loaded, batting just under .500 in such situations (43 for 88).
  • Options
    Andy Etchebarren
  • Options
    I'll take Tony Perez.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    But,

If I am pressed for an answer, and in the spirit of the question, how about this guy...

During the meat of his career(his first 12 years)....

He hit .373 with runners in scoring position in Late Inning Pressure Situations! Up until that time, nobody was higher with as many at bats.

He drove in 41% of runners from scoring position in Late Inning Pressure Situations! Nobody was even close with similar amount of At Bats!

Career with the bases loaded? .399 batting average, .739 SLG%, 299 RBI, and that was in 238 at bats.

Is it fair to use only 12 years of a career? Well, if you want a snapshot of a player when he was at his best it is, because the old man years aren't bringing down the percentages.

The best thing about those numbers? They occured before the live ball era.

Who was the guy? It was the player whom MLB pitchers voted the most feared hitter in baseball in a 1985 poll...Eddie Murray.
  • Options
    Eddie Murray was one hell of a slugger, and a hitter, and a clutch guy. He gets my vote too!
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The first scenario needs a guy like Boggs, Gywnn or Rickey Henderson. They tend to have an uncanny ability of getting a hit with some umf on it. They can get a double and hope the guy on second runs it in. Most importantly, these guys will get on base somehow even if they don't hit--any out they do not cause is a bonus to the team. They can work a pitcher while doing that. Boggs likes to foul off pitches until he sees one he likes--what a great ability. Henderson forces a real narrow strike zone, and that is an advantage.

A home run situation is a tough call, since home runs are tough to produce even for a guy like A-Rod or McGwire. I would choose Frank Thomas as the best candidate to hit one. He has some keen batting eyes and will work a pitcher much more than a pure power hitter. Thomas would be careful to select his pitches and hit it real hard. Guys like Bo Jackson, McGwire and Griffey all can hit home runs with frequency, but Frank Thomas has the same ability but is a much better hitter overall. Perhaps Ruth would be a better candidate, but I guess I am biased to my era and don't know much about Ted Williams or Babe Ruth to appreciate their abilities to be the same or better than Thomas in producing a home run when needed to win a game. I am sure Bonds is a good candidate, but he is so tainted I don't want to consider guys like that.

edit for grammer and bold type
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Either situation you want the best hitter in the game up...doesn't matter the situation.

Arod or Pujols.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just stick with Albert Pujols.

Objectively speaking, though, I am not sure. With Pujols, it would depend a lot on who is batting after him. What I mean by that is - in that scenerio with 2 outs, 9th inning, runner on second, tie game - Albert Pujols will get an intentional walk nearly every single time. I don't know if there is another player in the game that would get walked in that situation.

Now, let's turn this around a little bit. There has been a lot said about Ortiz in this thread. He is a great, great hitter. BUT - Who does Ortiz have hitting behind him? Who does Pujos have hitting behind him? I will say this - if Albert Pujols had Manny Ramirez hitting behind him, I think Pujols would clearly be the favorite. As a matter of fact, (I am not sure what the numbers are) I would venture to say that the numbers are real close the way things are now. I would like to see some numbers comparing Ortiz and Pujols - numbers like avg with RISP, 7th inning or later, and/or w/ 2 outs, etc.

Shane

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Lance Berkman.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biff Pocoroba or John Bocabella. Actually I just like saying those names.
  • Options

<< <i>Biff Pocoroba or John Bocabella. Actually I just like saying those names. >>

LOL

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Arod or Pujols? Brian, I think in the first scenario, the question is:
    Who would you want to get at least a hit to the outfield. I would
    choose Ichiro. Shame on you.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I don't care who you guys send up there in those situations, I'm going to intentionally walk him.

So, with that in mind, I pick David Ortiz in both situations. Why? Because when he gets walked, Manny Ramirez comes to the plate. I'm not convinced he cares, but he can RAKE.

• Options
    Since I am an "OLD" time Tiger fan, I pick:

Ray Oyler...........NO WAIT!

Don Wert!