Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ebay-World coin changes

I guess I am showing my age and my inability to accept change for the sake of change... Let me just ask the following:

Was there a real need to change the ebay World coin section?

I am willing to listen to everyone here tell me how wonderful it is and that I am out of touch with reality in this wonderful age of technology...

In the alternative, if there is anyone out there that liked it as it was... well you can speak your mind before I do and perhaps that might be a good thing...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'kat go to the end of the page and and click on the 'opt out' this will bring you back to the old way.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by change? It looks the same to me. Or did you get stuck in eBay's beta for their proposed "new look"? If so, look for an "Opt out" link on the page. The new appearance and seach functions suck moose testicles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks funseekers... please excuse the embarrassing rant... but wasn't it okay the way it was? image

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I opted out as well. IMHO it makes searching for coins a bit of a knightmare, but apperntly its just a trial.
    I wrote to ebay cutomer services to voice my concern (maybe if enough people do they might take note).

Heres their answer:

"
    Thank you for writing eBay in regard to does not like our new search
    format.

I am sorry that you aren't pleased with eBay's recent changes to our
    search results. Enhanced search results was designed using input from
    our members. The new design displays seller information in your search
    results, allows you to quickly view pertinent information about each
    item. You can also instantly add items to your Watch list.

Please be aware that this is a test of our new design. A small
    percentage of randomly-selected buyers will see the new design when they
    view all search and browse results pages, along with Sellers Other Items
    pages. In a few weeks, selected users will also see the new
    functionality and design in item lists within an eBay Store.

I hope as you become more familiar with our enhanced search results
    you'll agree it makes eBay an even better place to buy and sell.

We are committed to making your eBay experiences pleasant and
    fulfilling."
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Thanks for giving me a clue about the opt out option. I couldn't hit that opt out prompt fast enough. I found the new system unwieldy.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    What's scary is that eBay has a tendency to ignore what it's customers want, and just make changes because they can.

The horrid reality is that if this is implemented and made non-optional, it will effectively doom sellers of world coins, ancients, and classic U.S. since prefilled details are not available to the extent needed to make searches functional.

eBay: "If it ain't broke, we'll fix the feck out of it!"
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    "Thank you for trying out our new search format. I hope as you become more familiar with the fact that our enhanced search results will be shoved down your throat regardless of whether you like it or not, you'll agree it makes eBay an even better place to buy and sell."

The eBay Customer Service Team
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree - if its not broke, dont fix it. image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the other posters that the new layout is pretty poor. I hope we can opt out - permanently.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to agree with the other posters that the new layout is pretty poor. I hope we can opt out - permanently. >>

I was using some old bookmark searches today, and thought WTH. It was a major pain. Thanks for the opt-out tip.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... at least its not just me...image

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The new search options definitely blow.

Anyone else miffed about the fact that you can only search 15 days back for completed items now?
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    This CONSTANT "tinkering" with eBay features is ridiculous !!!

Until eBay notices a drop in revenue _Because of these code changes, they'll continue "improving"..

Hopefully, this will be the straw that breaks Meg's back & she finds herself Fired !!!!

Hey Meg.. opt-out of this nIn
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've got this feeling that the youngsters eBay hires don't know much about numismatics.

I see the tell-tale signs of youth which have a glimmering of understanding but no real numismatic knowledge. They think they're going to change the world...
    They create a numismatic playground, a loose conglomeration of country titles and coins, related but unrelated insofar as searching with any precision, listing with any precision (can you imagine if we listed our coins the way they do?), we'd never sell (or buy) anything!

Numismatic buying and selling is based on accurate research of specific types and up to date completed results and has to be handled in a precise and regimented way, there's no room for approximates in a hobby this annotated. Subjective Grading is argueable...image

When I did my due diligence last week researching items sold in various categories, I thought I had been banished to the inner circle of hades for
    doing a baaaad thing at some point. Absolutely horrible, I thought the system had merde the brick, gone bonkers!image

To find out that this was a conscious structure, deliberately organized that way, put me in mind of the Bush Administration- hapless... you figure non-reading youth will recognize this word?, another topic-sigh. image

Thank God I immediately went to the eBay coin forum (figuring I'd find the salient complaints there first) and discovered the opt-out back door. Do you think that if eBay knew what they were doing they wouldn't place the "opt-out" in big letters, front and center, so that they could discover the truth. Is someone trying to obfuscate in order to save their job? At this point I'll believe anything!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I've read that they trend like crazy, collecting an incredible amount of user and behavior activity. They can trend maximum usage by 5 minute increments, precise forcases of what "free gallery post" offers will do to revenue, etc. I am certain that they are tracking the number of people selecting 'Opt Out' with interest. Whether they do anything about it is another story.
  • Options
    I had sent ebay the following message 4 days ago, and have not yet had a response from them...... Maybe the fact that they changed their viewpoint and went back to the original search parameters is the reason..... See this thread on the LITESIDE

The new search function that is being tested in the coins category is terrible.... For both buyers and sellers....

I have yet to find one collector or dealer who likes it.....

It is COUNTERINTUITIVE and LENGTHENS the search process....

For a collector, it makes it more difficult and less likely to find what you are looking for...

For a seller, it makes it more difficult and less likely that your coin will be found.... and if it is, it is less likely to sell for a reasonable market value....

Maybe the new search options work for other collectables, but I do not feel that they are appropriate for coins....

Collectors want and need to search along the parameters in which they collect..... NO collector collects using the newly provided search options....

I sincerely hope that you will NOT implement this (dubious) improvement (?) into ebay, as myself and many other legitimate coin buyers and sellers will cease to use ebay as a primary source (both for sales and purchases), and will find a more numismaticly oriented forum to use.....

Please check out the forums at http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=26 and
    http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=6
    for comments and opinions of many other eBay buyers and sellers, all apparently negative to this so-called improvement.....
    I have not checked ALL the other forums, but of those that I have checked, none have anything positive to say....

Thank you for allowing me to vent... I've been a user for almost 10 years, and this is the first change that affected me, that I disagree with so vehemently, and thereby prompting me to contact you.......

Anyway, I'm glad to see that they listened to reason and logic.....
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thats great news. In the end they have seen sense. image
    Well done to everyone for letting them realise what a bad idea it was.