Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL to speed up the draft

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 23 — The draftniks who flock to Radio City Music Hall for the National Football League college draft will have to adjust their schedules next spring.

In an effort to speed up what had been an excruciatingly tedious first round — and draw even more television viewers to one of the oddest days on the sporting calendar — the N.F.L. announced Tuesday that clubs will have just 10 minutes between picks in the first round instead of 15, and that the draft will begin at 3 p.m. instead of noon on April 26, the first day of the draft.

Clubs will have just 10 minutes between picks in the first round, instead of 15. That should help avoid a repeat of what happened this April, when the first round lasted six hours eight minutes — the longest first round in history. Even Jets fans, the emotional stalwarts of draft day, couldn’t sustain their excitement that long.

The time between picks in the second round has been reduced from 10 minutes to seven. The third round will be moved to Sunday, which means that there will be significantly fewer players who agents can accurately market as “first day players.” The second day of the draft will begin at 10 a.m. instead of 11 a.m.

“We believe these changes will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a meeting of owners here.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a good move. Certainly, I'd prefer a one minute clock as it would make for great entertainment image
  • Options
    Definitely think it's a good move. Like the later start time too.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I like the quicker times between picks, but I'm not sure that I like the late start on the Saturday. I like to have some pre-draft stuff in the morning with my breakfast and then sit and wait for the draft to start right before lunchtime.

Although, on my current work schedule I'm working Tuesdays through Saturdays 8am to 4pm and this would be good for me if it were in the next few weeks. I wouldn't miss anything but the first few picks image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The later start time is probably more convenient for west coast fans with the draft for them starting at 12 noon rather than 9 AM.
    It will also push part of the first round into the early evening hours for the eastern time zone which should help TV ratings as well.
    I'm sure that pressure from ESPN and the NFL's own network played a part in the decision.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    1st round should be 5 minutes, 2nd 3 minutes, and then 3rd down should be 1 minute.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I like the changes, but now Minnesota is in even more trouble. image
  • Options

<< <i>1st round should be 5 minutes, 2nd 3 minutes, and then 3rd down should be 1 minute. >>

That is cutting things too close, they still have to have time to run commercials and analysis of the pick and projected upcoming picks.