Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Inclusion in a registry set?

What makes a coin eligible to be included in a registry set?

I thought it was 5 coins graded.

PCGS responded to an email this morning

<< <i>We do not have a 5 coin requirement for addition into the Registry >>

Funny, I need to lobby for some of my Lincoln cent varieties that are not included yet.

What do you guys think...or know to be the facts on this.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Your question to PCGS was ambiguous, that's why you didn't understand the answer.

There is no coin minimum requirement in the Registry. However, if you want them to include a variety coin not currently in a registry set, you have to make a specific request.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Actually my email included as the subjects:

The Jefferson dollar 2007 - Denver partial lettering coins, A & B - FIRST DAY ISSUE
    The registry only shows one of each and I asked for verification as whether those coins actually exist.
    Then stated that I thought there was 5 coin minimum.....

So maybe that clairifies my email to PCGS...

Sometimes coins seem to get added that shouldn't or really do not exist.

It like a few key presses away from making a coin required that has not been found yet.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I think you are referring to inclusion into the pop report. A guideline promulgated by PCGS that they have repeatedly ignored!!!

As for the registry, the guidelines for prospective inclusion are even more murky.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RB is correct here.

First, there was the rule of 5 (for pop report and reigstry) and why it is being ignored now - I have no idea.

There are a number of very strange things happening right now with respect to registry. Hopefully, with the assistance of dedicated collectors and dealers, things will improve. I have seen some positive developments of late.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>There are a number of very strange things happening right now with respect to registry. Hopefully, with the assistance of dedicated collectors and dealers, things will improve. I have seen some positive developments of late. >>

Mitch,

The only thing positive that I have seen was when Ron Goth send out his email asking for input. Whether or not PCGS will post any of the results remains to be seen.image

The population reports are another matter. On some of the new varieties, if you know the PCGS coin number you can check on what the population graded are but they are not included in the series population report. This makes no sense to me, the membership that pays (dues) for the priviledge of using the on line reports are being cheated by not having the information available. Every year PCGS adds the new issues of the series to the population reports so as a new variety is recongized by PCGS, why isn't that coin number added to the series population report. Just wondering.

Tim
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are a number of very strange things happening right now with respect to registry. Hopefully, with the assistance of dedicated collectors and dealers, things will improve. I have seen some positive developments of late. >>

Mitch,

The only thing positive that I have seen was when Ron Goth send out his email asking for input. Whether or not PCGS will post any of the results remains to be seen.image

The population reports are another matter. On some of the new varieties, if you know the PCGS coin number you can check on what the population graded are but they are not included in the series population report. This makes no sense to me, the membership that pays (dues) for the priviledge of using the on line reports are being cheated by not having the information available. Every year PCGS adds the new issues of the series to the population reports so as a new variety is recongized by PCGS, why isn't that coin number added to the series population report. Just wondering.

Tim >>

Tim,

The way I understand it, PCGS is working on changing the pop report, which I think is for the better. Here's what I think I heard Ron explain at one of the meetings. When you first pull up the pop report, it will show the date and pop information for that entire date/mm which will include the variety pops. When you click on the date, it will open and show the pops for each individual variety. It takes time to make that big of a change, so I'm being patient.

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks Doug for the information!

But why can't Ron Guth post a thread to let us know what is going on. Communication needs to be a "two way" street. By PCGS being silent on the issues only leads to frustration on behalf of the collectors.

Timimage
  • Options
    I wish they would do a mock up example so everyone could see it.
    Doug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that old 5 coin rule the reason a 69 S DDO Lincoln is listed, an a 1958 DDO is Not?..Mind you, neither should be included because they are too darn exotic IMO.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    WS - Yes, that is the case. And same case with some Silver Wash quarters - for example the 37DDO only was added to Registry set after 5 were in pops.

Tim- I feel your pain. But, I now have Doug's thick informational packet on errors to state quarter pops as well as some thoughts on greatly improving the registries (I ran some of the ideas past Doug and he was 100% in favor of them).

So... this time it might be different.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure PCGS is like any other job. The day to day gets over whelming sometimes. With Doug's research and Mitch delivering and helping explain the data 1st will help clean some inaccurate data, but in the long run may help PCGS identify what went wrong and possible put some safe guards in place to minimize the error rate.

Oh, and while you are there Mitch ask about the 5 coin minimum before including coins in the registry. I have a 1972-P Kennedy in MS66 that is a DDO, After I get it verified this makes it a total pop 2 coin but a top pop 1 in MS66 image

Warning very Large TrueView photo most notible on the "L" Liberty and "In God" We Trust. What a neat Variety image

Edited to add: Check the throat, chin and lips to see a cool double. And the Reverse Double Die image
  • Options
    What about in the case of the presidential dollars.

40 coins grade in a position A
    2 coins grade in a position B
    (This would only be possible in an Error coin)

Would the pop 2 coin be a line in the registry?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, and while you are there Mitch ask about the 5 coin minimum before including coins in the registry. I have a 1972-P Kennedy in MS66 that is a DDO, After I get it verified this makes it a total pop 2 coin but a top pop 1 in MS66 image

Warning very Large TrueView photo most notible on the "L" Liberty and "In God" We Trust. What a neat Variety image

Edited to add: Check the throat, chin and lips to see a cool double. And the Reverse Double Die image >>

Sorry but I don't see anything on the 1972 Kennedy that would lead me to believe this is a doubled die. I do see a lot that leads me to believe this is machine doubling on both obverse and reverse.

It is, however a very nice coin!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Yep. Strike doubling.
    Doug
  • Options
    The response back from PCGS is that there is no minimum number of coins required to find its way into a registry set composite.
  • Options
    With all due respect to BJ., I believe she is mistaken. I can show PCGS countless examples over the years where coins were not permitted in the registry unless and until -5- coins were in existence.

The Jefferson "D' Weak Lettering coins should be removed from the registry sets at once IMHO. First, I do not believe the coins even exist. Second, even if they do exist, they DO NOT qualify for registry inclusion.

Jim please let her know my thoughts and she can call me any time and I can fill her in with example after example of where this rule was uniformily applied.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    At this point it only affects the complete sets.

I did notice that the Madison ms65 business strike , pop 1, fall off after this last redo of the sets.

• Options
    What about the 1964 SMS coins? Certainly more than 5 graded for jeffersons. They were included in the variety sets before the sets were weighted but not today.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Frank - That is a different question - namely, which coins get placed in the variety set. For example, 1936 Ty 2 Lincoln cents were not required either even though there were more than 5 known.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I have noticed there are many classic sets with rare coins that are required in the registry sets.

Check the pop reports, then the sets.

Rare Gold are some that I checked. Some 3CS coins as well.
    Based on their inclusion in the registry sets....

All low Pop Coins should then be in the "New" Complete sets...

Who needs a coin added to the registry?

Of course "E" coins will not be added.