Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 topps psa 7 complete set

I'm putting together a 1961 topps psa 7 set. I have about 70% of the set complete. I know that beckett says this set books for $12,000 in this condition. I was wondering if someone knew what a complete set would really go for? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    SMR is a very rough guide, and doesn't take into account low pops, etc. It's also based on values in PSA 8, and a card that is tough in PSA 8 can be easy in PSA 7.
    Beckett is a joke and completely irellevant, especially on PSA graded cards.
    Best way to get a value on a set like this is by basing it on realized prices in an open market- that is, ebay and auction house sales, where the market sets the value.
    In order to find this, I plugged in the entire set at PSA 7 into vcp. It came up with the following:
    Total recorded sales for '61 Topps in PSA 7- 572 out of 592.
    Last sale total of those 572 cards- $9871.19
    With the exception of Hank Bauer and the Braves Team card, each of the 20 that had no prior recorded sales were commons. A very large percentage of the commons had realized values of under $5 each, so I hope you're buying these already graded. I'm guessing 3 dozen or so had realized values of under a buck.
    All in all, with the missing cards, I'd say the break value is about $9950. max, and probably considerably less than that as a complete set sale.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Buying one or a few cards at a time off of eBay or from dealers,
    you're going to end up paying a thousand or two dollars in shipping too.

Should be figured into the equation somewhere ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I have a completed 1961 set in 7.34. All cards all logged into VCP and it shows a current value of about $13,500. Most of my stars are 7 and about half of the commons are 8's, only 4 9's in the set.

I hope this helps

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    I think the final value for an all PSA 7 set would have to take into consideration the centering of the cards. If the cards are PSA 8 quality but do not meet the centering criteria, then they are worth less than PSA 7 centered cards. If I were looking to buy a PSA 7 set, centering would be my most important criteria in determining final price.