Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

rip cards?

got out of collecting in about '94 so I dont know all the new terms. What is a Rip Card?
Molon Labe

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    A card from Topps Allen & Ginter that features a card within a card. You can leave the larger "rip card" intact, or take your chances at a limited pull sealed inside the card, by, literally, ripping the card open to reveal its contents.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • If buying on ebay check sellers fb and ebay completed auctions to see if that card has sold before. Apparently you can see whats inside. Toppa was supposed to fix it this year but I heard not.
    imageimageimage
  • Didn't Pinnacle (RIP) first introduce this concept with their NFL or NHL Studio 8 x 10 release back in 1996 or 1997?

Snorto~
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Ross pretty much explained it, but I have a question about them trying to stay on topic. I purchased this.

Has to be unripped, right?

Based on the grading, It should be intact, right? Pretty good price and I got two last year (one pulled and one purchased) and they both panned out well. It looks like the seller automatically sends almost everything in for grading, I just wonder why it went for so cheap. Even BGS wouldn't grade the surface 9.5 for a rip card that's already been ripped, right?
    IWTDMBII

<< <i>Didn't Pinnacle (RIP) first introduce this concept with their NFL or NHL Studio 8 x 10 release back in 1996 or 1997?

Snorto~ >>

I vaguely remember baseball cards who's packages were actually larger sports cards. It was either one of these large cards per box or every pack was designed this way. I can't remember. I believe these larger cards had complete packs inside of them. Maybe...it's a vague recollection and very possibly incorrect.

edited to add: 1997 (I believe) Studio baseball came in large packs (but not large sports cards), each with an 8x10 and 10 or so regular cards. It was a neat concept because not only were the base cards included in the 8x10 chase, but the "MasterStrokes" insert set was blown up and individually numbered for the set as well. I have a stack of them somewhere. I know I have Thomas, Griffey, Gywnn, plus several more, including a Mike Piazza MasterStrokes.
    Kurt,

I hope that is an un-ripped card, did you ask the seller or just gamble? I know of several sellers who carefully cut the sides of rip cards open with an exacto knife, pull out its contents, and have a decent looking shell left. The only thing is, BGS shouldn't be grading altered cards, and that's exactly what that would be. So that lends me to believing you got a heck of a deal on a rip card, and that this is one of those cases where grading became the downfall of the item in question from a retail standpoint.
  • Seller said this.......

Was graded by beckett and card was unripped so the card is still in the Ivan card but in the beckett holder, never to be opened unless the individual wants to destroy the card

I ASSUME it went so cheap as...

A. Buyers moved on to new product
    B. Seller has some reputation or history. Either bought it recently and possibly checked it.
    C. Luck or thats the curent price. I saw one BIN for $50 a month back or so.

imageimageimage