Home Stamps Forum
Options

Redoing my revenue stamp gallery pages...

Before I get too deep into the project I thought I'd get some feedback.

I'm redoing all of the stamp images for my revenue stamp gallery. Rescanning them at high resolution and incorporating the zoomify plug-in. I will also be adding a lot of information on handstamped and preprinted cancels.

An example can be found here: http://www.revenue-collector.com/mult.shtml

Only the first few stamps on that page have been redone thus far, and none of the stamps on my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd series pages have been redone yet; I didn't want to take those images down in the interim, since it's the reference I use when checking to see what I have versus what I still need to get, or when upgrading a piece.

The popup pages offer both the scan and zoom option of the high-res images, along with simply a link to the full high-resolution image. That way those with small monitor resolutions can still view a closeup as well as those who want the huge image all at once.

You may think that 1200dpi images are overkill, but when checking varieties and cancels, there's no such thing as too much resolution.

Comments? Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Does a really good job.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    Hi, i think its great & gives alot more detail to pics.keep us up
    to date & the process of changing the pics.
    cheers peter
  • Options
    coinpictiures - looks good. My only suggestion would be to include more information on your main thumbnail page. Scott catalog numbers are meaningless to the vast majority of people in the world. Maybe include decription with denomination, WHEN the particular variety was first used (important as certain varieties occur at a time that makes it easier to determine fake imperfs, etc), what kind of document the stamp was used for, etc. Also shade identification ....

As it is now, it is just a internet record of your collection.

Have fun and make it great!

(edited - found a picture in one of my old brochures) These are the most atttractive revenues I have handled (in 1986) - bought together from a direct decendant of the person who signed it (Erastus Corning). Have been resold for much more ...

imageimage
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>coinpictiures - looks good. My only suggestion would be to include more information on your main thumbnail page. Scott catalog numbers are meaningless to the vast majority of people in the world. Maybe include decription with denomination, WHEN the particular variety was first used (important as certain varieties occur at a time that makes it easier to determine fake imperfs, etc), what kind of document the stamp was used for, etc. Also shade identification ....

As it is now, it is just a internet record of your collection.

Have fun and make it great!

(edited - found a picture in one of my old brochures) These are the most atttractive revenues I have handled (in 1986) - bought together from a direct decendant of the person who signed it (Erastus Corning). Have been resold for much more ... >>

Well in actuality, all it really is *is* an internet record of my collection. That's the primary purpose. When I'm out shopping remotely, I can access information online at will. The information for others is really just a bonus. I make it public because (a) it's good reference material, and (b) I enjoy seeing high-resolution pictures of other people's collections and I assume others do likewise. image The multiples page I linked above is just for photo display purposes (although I will be adding more cancel information as I progress). I think the type of information you're referring to is the reference grid page I have for 1st series revenues that shows the possible denominations and perf varieties (excluding double transfers, cracked plates, etc. since I don't collect them). That page is here. That page, along with its counterpart for 2nd and 3rd series revenues have more actual useful information for the novice/fact seeker than my gallery pages.

I love those examples you show, but those pictures are as close as I'll ever get to owning them. *sigh* They are virtually unobtainable by the vast majority of revenue collectors today, especially in the condition shown. That pair of stamps catalogs almost $20K today.

I've moved away from trying to be a completist, since I know that there are holes in my revenue collection that I will never be able to fill, given the increases that revenues have seen in the last decade. Instead I'm having fun with cancels, looking for as many different printed and handstamped cancels as I can on the 1st series revenues, along with fancy cancels and color combinations that are aesthetically appealing. Tolman et al. spent decades just on the insurance, railroad, and straight line cancels on 1st series revenues. I consider myself a fairly serious collector of them, and I've only just scratched the surface of what exists.

The following example popped up on Ebay the other night and I pounced on it so fast it would make your head spin. Common stamp, but exceptional condition with large margins, and a lovely cancel strike in a contrasting color. Pieces like this have beautiful eye appeal IMO.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Update: I've rescanned all the imperfs through the 50-cent denomination at 1200dpi and also replaced the thumbnails with slightly larger sizes.

http://www.revenue-collector.com/usrevs.shtml

It's slow going...