Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Dansco 7070

Comments

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat set. Many coins catch my eye as special. Gotta lose that gold though ... the ugliest classic design. Sorry, image.
    K

PS GREAT photo's.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice and quite interesting choices of key coins for some slots in that album!
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Nice set!
    Keithimage
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it alot! I wish I could get mine photo'd like that. Great job....
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting implementation of the Dansco gold page without buying a Dansco gold page
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    now that is the way to collect coins! thank you for sharing.
    i love posts like this.

question- do any coins fall out on occassion from their holes?
    a few seem to not even touch the sides.

nice job ryk. awesome dansco to leave on the coffee table for
    discussion!

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I gotta tone down a couple of those pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice set. Your two-cent coin is playing hookie, though. image I guess it ran off with your seated Liberty dime and got two golds to fill in for them.image
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Nice, but come on now, can't you get a sacagawea that does not have a big fat fingerprint on it?

I really dig the 1899 Barber dime.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and complete. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great collection RYK!!! My favorite kind of thread. Nice keys. Someday I'll post mine when I'm able to take decent pics.
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842

Very nice set. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coolest two center I've ever seen...
  • Options
    I have a serious problem with this 7070!

It's not mine. I like the evolution of the reverse eagles on those quarters!
  • Options
    Looks like the makings of a dirty DANSCO album. Can you get a blank page and punch your own holes (for gold)?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely set!! Is that a '12-S for the Lib nickel?
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job. Nice album.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Nice 1869 Shield 5c tall date nestled in that album. image What happened to the obv rim toning?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting two-cent piece and Seated Liberty dime with legend.image I also like the dates you chose for the Liberty nickel with cents and Seated Liberty with stars dime (same date I chose for that slot), Reeded Edge half and Seated Liberty dollar with motto.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very tiday , very nice image
    nice share image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I love the 2c piece the best image

Nice lookin set. Love that tonin' on the Morgan.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't you get a sacagawea that does not have a big fat fingerprint on it?

I had not noticed the print, until it was photographed. I will replace it when I can get another free one (or one for $1).

Is that a '12-S for the Lib nickel?

It's a 12-D. I "upgraded" the 12-D in G I had from my boyhood collection.

Your two-cent coin is playing hookie, though. I guess it ran off with your seated Liberty dime and got two golds to fill in for them.

I had a couple of raw classic gold coins that needed a home. I like them better than the selections provided by Dansco.

do any coins fall out on occassion [sic] from their holes?

Some of the coins are loose, but they are protected on either side by slides, so they cannot fall out.

Nice 1868 Shield 5c tall date nestled in that album. What happened to the obv rim toning?

You said I would have to pay extra for the obverse toning, and I passed. image

Many forum members (past and present) have contributed to this set by selling me or giving me coins. These include Tonelover, Tassa, Jade, Coinguy1, Legend, Keets, FC57, LucyBop, FatMan, BigBuffaloGuy, BigD5, Cladiator, stephunter, SDCollector, IGWT, Coinlieutenant, CharlotteDude, Russ, USCGCraig, mirabela, and probably others. Some coins are from my boyhood collectors and a subset of these are from my father's boyhood collection! Thanks for the props and constructive criticism. image
  • Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Hey! That's not a 2 cent piece! And that's not a seated dime! Haha.

I really like the 39-O half.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set RYK, is that a 70 cc dollar in there....?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty set.
    mirabela
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the story with that 2-cent piece???? image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Your coins and Mark's pics are one heck of a combination.image
    Becky
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Looks awesome! but whats with the gold thrown in there?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    outstanding!image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I love the fact that you have blast white, rim toning and monster toning all going on at the same time!!! image And although I don't collect them...I think the 1988 Silver Eagle looks amazing! Congrats! image

btw...what year did you start the book?

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    DAMN NICE!! AND GREAT PHOTOS!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Someone requested to see this, so I thought I would bump it back up.

I have swapped bust halves for a more crusty one and replaced the fingerprinted Sac.

I have not replaced the two cent piece slot, nor the Legend seated die. image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the photography! Who took those Ryk?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>I love the photography! Who took those Ryk? >>

mgoodm3
  • Options
    That is a great looking type set, I like almost every coin. How long did it take to put together?
  • Options

That is a beautiful set!

Chris
  • Options
    I am diggin' this set.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a great looking type set, I like almost every coin. How long did it take to put together? >>

When you consider that some of the coins were from my father's boyhood collection and were given to him by his grandfather, you could say that it took about 100 years!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing. Since joining these boards and becoming familiarized with this "type set", I have been suggesting to almost everyone that they should try collecting coins this way. You're so ahead in the game, RYK.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT's one heck of a beautiful set!! I could die a happy man if I managed to put a set like that one together!!

Unfortunately, I never got into collecting the early American coins - - I started out with the blue Whitman folders for the coins that were out there when I started collecting from change, and eventually only worked myself as far back as IHC's, Liberty nickels, Mercury dimes, a few Standing Quarters, Walking Liberty halves, and Peace/Morgan dollars.................

So I can pretty much fill up a 20th Century set, but nothing like you've put together there!! It would be awesome to start putting together a few of the older coins as well due to their designs and history, but I'm afraid they're priced beyond my reach at this point.............

One funny note, however.... it seems one of the very few coins I DO have from that earlier time is one of the two you replaced with your gold coins! I was lucky enough to have a family friend start me off with a few 2 cent pieces a long long time ago. I love them! I wish we'd drop the Lincoln cent & go back to the 2-cent piece (same design, maybe slightly smaller size?)!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A kool idea of using those classic gold pieces to fill in those holes... NICE !!! A great type set you have there.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be happy to have those hole-fillers when their proper occupants arrive.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those're nice

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because 3 pages of "nice type set" are not enough...

I gotta say yours looks really nice.
    great looking, evenly matched cents and the early copper has just the right amount of details.
    I like the white look on the commem halves also.
    Very nice type set... image
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good coins, as always ... mostly ... hate to say it, but your SBA is insufficiently spectacular. Proceed to BST directly image

mirabela
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great collection.

where's the gold page?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coins and a creative use of space

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer set! image

Interesting that every commem is a West Coast theme.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file