Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees Taking Spotlight Off Playoffs

I remember people railing against Pete Rose a couple years ago for releasing his book around the time of the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

Where is the outrage over the yankees dropping this bombshell in the middle of the playoffs? Couldn't they have waited and not had the media coverage taking away from the REAL baseball story - the playoffs?

Just seems classless to have this stranglehold of attention when the guys still playing baseball should be the ones in the spotlight - not the guys playing golf.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, the Yanks have gigantic decisions to make, and they're not going to wait until the World Series is over to announce them so that you can be more comfortable with the timing image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, the Yanks have gigantic decisions to make, and they're not going to wait until the World Series is over to announce them so that you can be more comfortable with the timing image >>

A new manager is 'gigantic'? And you dare to question those who call yankee 'fans' arrogant and self-centered?

MLB should make a rule prohibiting management changes until after the postseason is concluded, much like the NFL does...keep the game centered and get that outside stuff out of the news from taking the focus off.
  • Options

<< <i>A new manager is 'gigantic'? And you dare to question those who call yankee 'fans' arrogant and self-centered? >>

Yes, a new manager along with the decisions on Arod, Mariano, Abreu, and Posada I would classify as gigantic decision you complete dope. Man you sink fast image
  • Options
    They only take the spotlight if you let them. I despise the yankees but it is what it is - let it go man!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    This is a persons blind hatred for anything and everything NY. It is what it is. Thats baseball. Nothing has changed. This is what happens when its big players of the game, NY or anywhere else. It's not like the Yankees planned these issues to take any spotlight. This sounds like a bunch of 4 year old whining to me.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember people railing against Pete Rose a couple years ago for releasing his book around the time of the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

Where is the outrage over the yankees dropping this bombshell in the middle of the playoffs? Couldn't they have waited and not had the media coverage taking away from the REAL baseball story - the playoffs?

Just seems classless to have this stranglehold of attention when the guys still playing baseball should be the ones in the spotlight - not the guys playing golf. >>

Pete was doing it SOLELY to draw attention to his book, what better time and place than for him to do it then right then and there, if you were trying to sell a book, if you weren't trying to do everything you could to sell more copies, than you're a fool (and a poor businessman).

However, the Yankees are doing Yankees business, its not their fault that the things that go on with their ballclub takes the spotlight away from other teams, if people didn't care or didn't want to see or hear about it, the media wouldn't cover it, but evidently they do (you being an exception of course).

If a team coming to terms with a manager and not renewing a contract is "bigger news" than the playoffs, whats that tell you about the teams involved in said playoffs?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Pete was doing it SOLELY to draw attention to his book, what better time and place than for him to do it then right then and there, if you were trying to sell a book, if you weren't trying to do everything you could to sell more copies, than you're a fool (and a poor businessman).
    >>

And the yanks are doing this SOLELY to draw attention to their franchise which hasn't won a world series this century.

<< <i>However, the Yankees are doing Yankees business, its not their fault that the things that go on with their ballclub takes the spotlight away from other teams, if people didn't care or didn't want to see or hear about it, the media wouldn't cover it, but evidently they do (you being an exception of course). >>

When you are in the #1 media market, anything you do is going to be covered more than anything else.

<< <i>If a team coming to terms with a manager and not renewing a contract is "bigger news" than the playoffs, whats that tell you about the teams involved in said playoffs? >>

Again, it goes back to the size of the media market.

• Options

<< <i>
    And the yanks are doing this SOLELY to draw attention to their franchise which hasn't won a world series this century.

>>

and your proof is where? wheres the motivation? SOLELY is a strong word, back it up

<< <i>
    When you are in the #1 media market, anything you do is going to be covered more than anything else.
    >>

and thats their fault how?

<< <i>
    Again, it goes back to the size of the media market. >>

Again, and thats their fault how?

spin baby spin
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

spin baby spin >>

It's more like cry baby cry. Again, its just all his blind hatred for everything and anything NY. This coverage is not at all something perpetuated by the Yanks. If the media makes it a story, go whine to them. Call ESPN and your local affiliates.
  • Options
    The timing IS poor. There is an unwritten rule not to make significant announcements during the post-season.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The timing IS poor. There is an unwritten rule not to make significant announcements during the post-season. >>

Its all good though, the Yankees franchise is coming apart at the seams... Torre GONE, Arod soon to follow... who's next? image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely NOT a Yankees fan, but this is a mountain out of a molehill. The Yankees have business to take care of, and it's not their fault that the media eat up all things Yankees above all else.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Ironic thread of the day.

Hyprocrite.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Ironic thread of the day.

Hyprocrite. >>

How TRUE!
  • Options
    Axtell,

Who gives a crap? Is your whole existence about sports and the Yankees?

Do you do anything other than post on this message board about every event that comes up in pro and college sports? What was the last book you read? What did you do for a vacation this year?

You certainly need to step away from the computer once in a while.

Between your old and new ID how many posts do you have in the last year?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone even replied to this BS thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Can't remember what I did two years ago, but the Bronx Bombers dropping bombs seems normal rather than outrageuos, and I believe in classlessness
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball teams have fired many managers over the years the day after the regular season ended so it isn't just the Yankees discussing their manager in this case right after the regular season. Also many NFL teams have fired their head coach the day after the regular season ended so this statement "much like the NFL does" is factually incorrect.
  • Options
    What about the Reds timing regrading how they're going to bring on Dusty Baker? HOW DARE THEY? Don't they know it's the post-season??
  • Options

<< <i>What about the Reds timing regrading how they're going to bring on Dusty Baker? HOW DARE THEY? Don't they know it's the post-season?? >>

Enough with your sarcasm!!!image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

"Sorry, the Yanks have gigantic decisions to make, and they're not going to wait until the World Series is over to announce them so that you can be more comfortable with the timing "

YES!!!! WHO will lead them to August imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>"Sorry, the Yanks have gigantic decisions to make, and they're not going to wait until the World Series is over to announce them so that you can be more comfortable with the timing "

YES!!!! WHO will lead them to August imageimageimageimageimage >>

• Options
    Boy, it sure is a good thing that nobody announced a huge contract decision during the last game of the World Series and took some of the spotlight off of game 4!! It sure would have been a shame if someone opted out of the remaining 3 years of a contract that would have paid more money than some organizations pay their entire teams. It sure is a good thing that the above scenario never took place.

Axhole:
    Where are you now you freakin schmuck?
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, it sure is a good thing that nobody announced a huge contract decision during the last game of the World Series and took some of the spotlight off of game 4!! It sure would have been a shame if someone opted out of the remaining 3 years of a contract that would have paid more money than some organizations pay their entire teams. It sure is a good thing that the above scenario never took place.

Axhole:
    Where are you now you freakin schmuck? >>

+1
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Boy, it sure is a good thing that nobody announced a huge contract decision during the last game of the World Series and took some of the spotlight off of game 4!! It sure would have been a shame if someone opted out of the remaining 3 years of a contract that would have paid more money than some organizations pay their entire teams. It sure is a good thing that the above scenario never took place.

Axhole:
    Where are you now you freakin schmuck? >>

+1 >>

+2

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    + 3 image
  • Options
    +4!
  • Options
    +5
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    +6
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    LOL

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    How long before this count reaches double digits?