Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

alwistert.com- 43-51 eagles-al "the ox"-wistert vote for nfl hof in 2008

help me get my buddy in nfl hof -website speaks for itself and his accomplishments-all ya gotta do is write note to hall on addy provided on website and nominate him!!!take you 2 minutes and 41cents , he got on senior vote last year, i dont know if that carries over to 2008 and he stays on the ballot or not?check it out please,al is 87,should have been in 40 years ago
al wistert deserves nfl hof
thank you
randy
need a counter and a remarks part of site if i can figure out how to make one, i cant even get a counter on it,tried 4 diff companies,i hate html

eagles fans help me,getting in the hall after you are dead is like getting the purple heart for dying,it dont do ya much good thenimage
tryig to get it on eagles website,cant get my password and username to work on it?????
any help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on trying to recognize an all-time great of football. He deserves the the honor. Member of all-Decade team. Sometimes I wonder how players like this get overlooked ?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    very true,hes got voted for that much -what about the 5other eagles on 48-49 shutoutteams he was on, no other team has done it back to back like that,and they wouldnt have did it withpout al,al was bad news!
    need to talk to some eagles fans,where are ya?need help with getting it on eagles board but i can get on for some reason?
  • Options
    He only played 9 years? I guess the NFL HOF doesn't have a minimum years requirement?

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Football experts can correct me. Didn't Jim Brown only play 8 years? What about Barry Sanders??
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He only played 9 years? I guess the NFL HOF doesn't have a minimum years requirement? >>

Earl played 8 years.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    not that i see there is no minimum requirement for years played, back in 40s-50s 9 years was very good, considering they didnt have 1/4 of the padding the guys have today,half of em are crippled now or in wheelchairs!,was on ballot last year as senior,almost made it
    randy
  • Options
    two way tackle, look on my website link , its all about him,very impressive man, nice guy too www.alwistert.com
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't make the finalist for the 08 induction so he won't be eligible until 2009. Marshall Goldberg and Emmitt Thomas were the 2 seniors elected.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    i am not sure how the senior selection works dave, i thought he almost made it it in 2007?i cant find zilch on hall website of guys that are waiting like the mlb hall does-,they pick 17 and put in 2 like you said -does he have to be nominated all over again?,or does the vote stand as senior till he gets in???i wish somebody could tell me?

i dont see goldberg or thomas on the list for some reason, or under class of 2007,but i see the 6 reg guys names on there,irvin+ 5 more,that is who got in though as senior,i remember on tv now, one of em was in wheelchairimage-wonder why they are not on the roster-have 241 people on it
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    From the HOF website

How is a Senior Candidate Chosen?

To assure that older players will be considered along with the Modern Era players, a Seniors Committee, made up of nine veteran members of the overall Selection Committee, has been established to consider nominees whose active career has been completed by at least 25 years.

Like the full Committee, the members of the Seniors Committee are provided a preliminary list of eligible nominees. The list, which is compiled and mailed to the selectors by June 1, includes carry-over nominations from the previous year, first-time eligible candidates, and nominations from any outside source. By way of a mail ballot the Committee members reduce the list to 15 Senior Nominee finalists. Five members of the nine-man Committee, selected on a rotating basis, are designated to attend the annual Seniors Committee meeting held in Canton, where they are charged with the responsibility of nominating two candidates from that list to be among the 17 finalists for Hall of Fame election. In advance of the meeting, each selector is provided with detailed biographical information on the candidates.

Senior Committee members are assisted during their annual meeting by two Hall of Fame consultants, chosen by the Hall’s president, who were contemporaries of the majority of the nominees. The consultants offer only their opinions and are not entitled to vote. After each candidate is discussed thoroughly, the consultants are excused from the meeting. Additional discussion is conducted followed by a series of reduction votes that results in the naming of two Senior Nominees.

Although the Senior Nominees will be presented to the full Selection Committee as two of the 17 finalists, their election to the Hall of Fame is not automatic. The Senior Nominees must receive the same minimum 80% of the vote as a Modern Era candidate to be elected.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    so according to that al would be on the list of carry over nominations from the way i understand it?right?,baseball shows you who is on list and who didnt get on from every year,football tells you who got in and nothing else for some reason?should tell the names of the guys that didnt make the %,might be on there somewhere,i just cant find it
    al would have had to been on it in 2007 as they just did the vote on tv not too long ago,shoud be eligible for 2008 i think,
    i dont know all of hof process works, i just got alot of thier autographs lol

i dont see goldberg or thomas on the list for some reason, or under class of 2007,but i see the 6 reg guys names on there,irvin+ 5 more,that is who got in though as senior,i remember on tv now, one of em was in wheelchair-wonder why they are not on the roster,even loked alphabetically, irivin was on there-old guys dont count or something,im not getting it?-have 241 people on it

• Options
    looking for help and info
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Football experts can correct me. Didn't Jim Brown only play 8 years? What about Barry Sanders?? >>

Barry played 10 seasons 89-98
  • Options
    does his vote carryover to next year from 2007 is what im trying to find out?or does he have to be nominated,or does he stay on ballott?
    randy
  • Options
    anybody know??????
  • Options
    Randy,

Al's nomination will carry over to next year.

In June every year the Senior Committee (9 members of the 44 person selection comittee) will
    pick 15 SENIOR FINALIST from all senior players nominated.

From those 15 "senior finalist" they will pick 2 Senior nominees who will AUTOMATICALLY be
    added to the 15 MODERN finalist for a total of 17 finalist up for debate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

From there Al would be on his own merits verses the other guys

The committe is instructed to select between 4 and 7 new HOF'ers each year

The 2 senior finalist are almost always selected to be HOF'ers.

I think Al Wistert has been overlooked for years, as he was an All - Pro (best in the league at his position)
    5 years in a row !!!! 1944-48 Also voted to very 1st Pro Bowl team in 1950 (only 5 lineman selected)

These are not Modern day Pro Bowls where MANY players from each position are selected

I hope he gets in soon!

Gabbs,

BTW, Thanks for all your contribution to this board and especially to our country!!
    My dad was in Vietnam also..He never did talk too much about it.

Check out my PSA NFL HOF rookie card set
  • Options
    thanx for answer-i thought that was they way it worked but was not sure,at least he does not have to be renominated,but fan nominations are still a plus+ for him if anybody wants to take 2 minutes and 41 cents out of thier day-look at site-i think his accompishments pretty well tell the story! www.alwistert.com
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice tribute site, Randy. I love the pics on the Collectibles page. I'm curious about the playing cards--are they from a full deck?

Mike
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I'd like to see Wistert get in the Hall two. Those old lineman from pre 1955 that played two ways are often overlooked. It was a different game back then. Brutal and vicious, where justice was settled on the field and not by players being flagged by penalties.

Not to take away the direction of this thread from Al Wistert, but his linemate and teammate for many years Bucko Kilroy deserves to be in the HOF too in my opinion. Great player, coach, scout, who was involved in pro football for over 55 years!

A double Eagle landing in the HOF for them would be excellent.

Good luck in getting Wistert some HOF recognition.

I still don't see how Goldberg or Thomas got nominated for the seniors when more deserving players are still on the outside looking in, but what do I know.
  • Options
    very true, bucko just died earlier this year too;(, not too many of the old eagles squad left, they are few and far between,Greasy Neale is a home town boy of parkersburg here,ben trying to get pic of his tombstone for 3 days but all it does is rain!!!
    www.alwistert.com
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I must say, five consecutive All-Pro nominations is pretty impressive.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    so i a 2 way tackle/inventing the shoulder block,standard practice today,2 shoutout championsship team shotouts, never to be repeated, and awsome teams from 1945 up not back then,they thought he was nuts,,but it worked!
  • Options
    knuckles made me a guestbook to petition sign as fan votes count also and are a plus for al , they kinda lost me on making the guestbook partt ,thanx garrett!!!!
    randy www.alwistert.com
    randy
  • Options
    Another Eagle that really got screwed over by the HOF is Pete Retzlaff

Compare his stats to HOFER TEs Ditka and Mackey and you come away wondering what the heck was their reasoning with not voting him in

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    yeah, him and bucko kilroy, alot of old timers got over looked for some reason,als not if i got anything to do with it,been workin on this for 2 years now, got him on ballot last year thanx to letters from old timers he played with in the hall,
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Compare his stats to HOFER TEs Ditka and Mackey and you come away wondering what the heck was their reasoning with not voting him in >>

Ditka is wildly overrated as a player. He took the league by storm with four great years to start his career, then did diddly poo (borrowed from Jim Mora) the rest of the way.

| Year TM | G | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
    +----------+-----+-------------------------+
    | 1961 chi | 14 | 56 1076 19.2 12 |
    | 1962 chi | 14 | 58 904 15.6 5 |
    | 1963 chi | 14 | 59 794 13.5 8 |
    | 1964 chi | 14 | 75 897 12.0 5 |
    | 1965 chi | 14 | 36 454 12.6 2 |
    | 1966 chi | 14 | 32 378 11.8 2 |
    | 1967 phi | 9 | 26 274 10.5 2 |
    | 1968 phi | 11 | 13 111 8.5 2 |
    | 1969 dal | 12 | 17 268 15.8 3 |
    | 1970 dal | 14 | 8 98 12.2 0 |
    | 1971 dal | 14 | 30 360 12.0 1 |
    | 1972 dal | 14 | 17 198 11.6 1 |
    +----------+-----+-------------------------+
    | TOTAL | 158 | 427 5812 13.6 43
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    yeah 61-64 looks good, he kinda fell in hole after that-he prob got in because of da bears lol -did he get in as coach or player?

www.alwistert.com-knuckles made me guest book today-2 people have signed it -me and himimage pretty sad
  • Options
    Have you tried contacting Ray Didinger from the Phila Daily News

I think he used to be connected with the HOF voting

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    i will try and email him now if i can find it if hes still in philly, i saw where one of the vote guys is on a philly newspaper on hof website,not sure if it was him or not-
    randy
  • Options
    i have emailed les bowden and frank fritz in philiadelpha that are sportswriters for eagles, hopefully they can get some exposure to it, philadelhia press exposure is what it needs and an interview with al,hes done plenty of em before with em about waiting,now hes on ballot,about damn time
  • Options
    chad at nfl.com,you will eat those worlds i assure you , goldberg as hof lol-sanders, they should be in the outhouse behind the hall-hendrickson-he was ok-not even close to al-do some homework
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Davemri is correct, Wistert is ONLY eligible as a Senior candidate. There is no limit to how long he can or will stay a senior candidate, so he will be leigible every year. The hard part is that there are well over 100 possible senior nominees each year and the Senior Committee can only select 2. Your best bet to "help" Wistert get elected is to e-mail the senior committee voters next May or June and let them know how deserving you think he is. It's been proven (this year is a perfect example with Goldberg) that all it takes is one of the senior committee voters to puch a candidate and convince the others to go that direction.

You can find the list of voters on the HOF website.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    same with with sanders as a senior -lol- not even in the same league-dont know what they were thinking-the guy from philly would help im sure ,i saw one on the senior selection board its all a game of politics thats for sure-took 15-20 hofers from his era writing letters to joe horrigan that got al on ballot in first place
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159