Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the point of copied coins????

I notice on Ebay their are copied Morgans, Barbers, Idian Cents, etc. What is the point of buying them. I know most are copied rarities, but why pay $17.95 and $6.95 shipping for a fake and worthless coin?image

Comments

• Options
    In the case of rarities, they serve the purpose of filling a hole in a collection that otherwise would reamain unfilled. There are some copies that may be wothwhile reproductions, while others are just cheap fakes.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What FLBH said. Filling holes is one aspect of collecting. It's also human nature to want something desirable, even if it isn't real.
  • Options
    to hope buyers do not read the description and bid on an authentic coin!!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how else would a person of average means be able to own a 1792 half disme?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fax me a couple hundy. I'll hang it on my wall and pretend I'm rich image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    Forgot to add:

a reasonable FACSIMILE image
  • Options
    I love to collect small cents but how does a person tell a fake from a real one?
    Looking for the best or the best I can afford.........Doug
  • Options
    I just noticed a topic tonight about 1870-CC 20$ copy coin that someone trying to sell as real. Thought I bring up an old topic.image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody thought it had merit as it sold for $7,100. You can buy the exact same coin here for $19.95.

Again, I am shocked that EBay let that auction run its course even after having been notified of the fraud being perpetrated.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    An 1856 Flying Eagle in any grade is more than most people can afford.....but like others have said, it finishes the set none the less....
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love to collect small cents but how does a person tell a fake from a real one? >>

buy the books...then read them...learn!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the point? It's fun to look at

teensy tiny stars!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Just bringing up an old topic. I am seeing more copied coins than ever. Anytime I go search on Ebay for a certain date, their seems to be more copied than real. image
  • Options

<< <i>I notice on Ebay their are copied Morgans, Barbers, Idian Cents, etc. What is the point of buying them. >>

One reason not mentioned: crooks buy fakes in order to re-sell them as real.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    It's been a tradition since Joe Mickley allegedly tried to help collectors fill the difficult 1804 hole in their cent date sets. The Gallery Mint (I thinkit was them) did some spectacular chain cents and similar back in the mid-90s. I meant to buy some from them for the novelty. I think the ones we see on eBay are filling a weak need for such goals but more as a way to get something out of dies made in China that were intended to defraud originally. Makes then semilegitimate and saleable still at a profit.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file