Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thinking of starting a set

Some of you that know me know that im a 95% vintage guy from 1952 to 1975 that likes ripping some newer stuff as well. Lately ive been thinking about starting a raw pre 1952 set (nothing bowman), but I don't know which it will be yet. Im sure it will be in mid to lower grade condition, but with eye appeal and nice presentation for binder viewing. Affordability definitely plays a role in the decision, as does ability to complete it (i.e. not chasing rare cards like the 33 Goudey Lajoie)

1934 Goudey is definitely a strong candidate, and 1936 Goudey black and white seems easy enough to complete, but lacks the heavy hitting star power (which would save my bankbook). Anyone that wants to weigh in on a pre WWII set that sounds like it fits a lot of my criteria, I would love to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    1941 Play Ball

Only 72 cards
    Heavy Hitters - Williams, DiMaggio, Ott, Foxx
    Beautiful Set
    Reasonably Priced
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1941 Play Ball >>

Definitely falls in line with what I described above. I am going to consider that set as well in my decision making process. Thanks.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"ll 2nd '41 Playball. 2nd choice would be '34-36 Diamond Stars, heavy stock so creasing is less prevalent, and if you forgot the last few cards (tough high numbers but exact repeats of a few cards in the lower series) it's very affordable.
    T201 is also reasonable affordable. 50 cards of 100 players, with Cobb, Johnson, Matty, etc. Even the Cobb won't kill you.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>T201 is also reasonable affordable. 50 cards of 100 players, with Cobb, Johnson, Matty, etc. Even the Cobb won't kill you. >>

Thanks Anthony. The T201 set you mentioned sounds very interesting, but I cant seem to find in my thick yearly Beckett (2007 29th edition with Cal Ripken Jr on the cover)
  • Options
    The T201 set will be listed under Mecca Double Folders. Here is the link to the T201 Set Registry

T201 Set Registry

I think the 1941 Play Ball and T201 suggestions are great sets to pursue, and not just because I have about 10 extra 1941 Play Balls including Ted Williams and Pee Wee Reese in PSA 4 & 5 to sell.

A couple of others to consider are the 1933 Delong and 1935 Goudey sets. Short checklists and a few big stars to add some sizzle to your collection.

The 1933 Delong has 15 Hall of Famers out of the 24 cards including Lou Gehrig but nothing else that will break the bank.

1935 Goudey has 36 cards, lots of Hall of Famers and only the Babe Ruth card will set you back significant cash. If you are into variations you could even pursue the complete variation front/back combination cards but then you need 4 Ruth cards.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    In no particular order...

'35 Goudey
    '41 Play Ball
    '38 Goudey

Edited to add: I'll second the T-201 set.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i love 41 playball,beautiful colors in em ,they just dont make em like the goudeys/sportkings,and 50 bowmans bb and fb anymore-rest of 50's bowman fb sucked,but 1950 was beautiful
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick I would vote for 34-36 Diamond stars. Good luck with whatever set you chose
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    diamond stars are beautiful card too-i love anything from 30s-40s baseball-also cost alot lol
    ihave a few psa 8s in diamond stars and they are awesome looking
  • Options
    I am not a baseball guy, but I have always coveted the 1933 Delong set. I am curious how rare and expensive this set is to put together compared to some of those already mentioned, Playball and Goudey for example. Anyone know?

Snorto~
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>T201 is also reasonable affordable. 50 cards of 100 players, with Cobb, Johnson, Matty, etc. Even the Cobb won't kill you. >>

Thanks Anthony. The T201 set you mentioned sounds very interesting, but I cant seem to find in my thick yearly Beckett (2007 29th edition with Cal Ripken Jr on the cover) >>

T201 is a great set that has not gone through the roof recently. I've enjoyed assembling one myself, with PSA 3s and 4s very affordable.

Wait a second, I'm only 13th on the registry with 23 cards still to go in this set. So maybe you should hold off on starting this one for now...image
  • Options
    Dare i suggest R302? Its cheap, has big names, and is a small set. (although it is a love it or hate it design)
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey