Home Metal Detecting
Options

digging holes at the shore edge

I was out detecting today at a beach a few towns over and was having alot of fun finding fishing weights every 2 seconds, until I got to this one spot. It was about 3 feet from the waters edge so a hole deeper then a few inches would soon fill up from water seeping through the sides of the hole wall. The spot never changed from a solid coin range signal, but the problem I was having was the hole eventually got to over a foot deep, kept filling in with water and yet the signal kept coming from the center of the hole. I swiped the hole from several angles and all angles led to the center of the hole. I gave up on the target thinking the signal must have been rogue to start. It's happened before were a coin range signal in the center of the hole turns out to be a nail on the side of the hole but this hole was about 1 1/2 feet wide and 1 1/2 feet deep.

Any ideas what was going on with this target?

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Treasure chest? I know with my Garrett sometimes a large piece of iron will set it off like that, sometimes over a foot down.
  • Options
    "Treasure chest?" LOL..Good One.

I would think a beer can.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    What CrockofCoins said. Probably a beer or soda can.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've had that happen at the beaches here in Maine. Sometimes it's a can, sometimes it a battery. It's never been a treasure chest! image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I have to get me a pinpointer for these situations.
  • Options
    Keep digging... I found a car wheel like that one time. Took me almost an hour to dig it out of a creek bed.
    Wife thought I was crazy. LOL
    Molon Labe