Home U.S. Coin Forum

1865 3 Cent Nickel Variety

On the side, I have been dabbling in varieties of Shield nickels and 3 cent nickels again, an obsession about 10 to 20 years ago. Here is an 1865 reverse I recently picked up. Huge cud in the 10:00 to 11:00 area. Also several radial die breaks. The die didn't likely last very long in this state. Anyone know if this is a documented variety? Is it represented int he latest CPG? Oh, it is also clashed.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
NSDR - Life Member
SSDC - Life Member
ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Comments

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea but I would love to read some answers from people who know.
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

According to The Cud Book, it looks like TCNC-1865-13RA-Ret. The retained cud later expands to meet up with the die cracks at K-12:30 and K-9and is given the -13RB designation. Those dies really took a beating.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Tahanks! I am going to have to pick up that reference. "-13RB" means....?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

The 13RB designation just means that it's a different die stage (stage B) of the same die variety.

TCNC denotes Three Cent Nickel Cud.
    1865 denotes the year.
    13RA denotes the variety- in this case, the 13th cud variety for that type/year, cud is on the reverse (R), die stage A.
    Ret denotes a retained cud.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool cud.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    TTT because I have been thinking about 3CN's recently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file