Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice on 1985 Topps Football

I thinking about buying some unopened 1985 Topps football and submitting for the special with the hopes of turning a few of them around. What would be the best buy for doing this?

A. 9 grocery racks $135
B. 8 Regualr racks $128
C. 1 Wax Box $135

Thanks for the help. Once I make up my mind I'll post some results here.

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'd avoid grocery racks and stick with the regular racks. Grocery racks are packaged in such a way that makes it easy for the cards on the ends to get dinged up. You don't want that.

Wax is nice, sometimes, but you can loose up to 4 cards per pack to wax and gum stains. I've bought a few boxes from BBCE in the past few years. Funny thing is, the box where the gum bled through 3 cards per pack was the box that yielded two PSA 9 Moons, a PSA 9 Munchack, Dorsett, Passing Leaders, and a common 10.

Regular racks are probably the best way to go. No gum or wax to worry about, plus it seems that cards are preserved better in rack packs than in other packs.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    1985 Topps football is fool's gold.

You can buy a whole case and not get any 10s and the 9's do not sell for high enough to make a good return.
  • Options
    But they look so nice and $135 really isn't that bad for the fun of the rip, plus if I do get any 10's it pays for itself.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    champs,
    good luck. i just ran across a rack box (non-grocery) and looking at the top 2 racks, the centering looks very nice. i usually try to sell the 9s and 10s and keep the 8s for my set, but the 9s are being had for very very low prices (someone posted a psa 9 dorsett for less than $2 a few weeks back).

i agree with digicat in that normal racks may yield your best results.

leiasascards is correct as well, it is fools gold, but i like the adventure in trying to obtain the elusive 10s for this set. you may want to check the pop reports before submitting if you are planning to sell. sixdart may chime in on this post as he has some great insight as to what you might expect to get for common 10s if you are lucky enough to pull those. if he doesn't, pm him.

good luck and i may start an additional thread on a rack rip if i decide to bust the box...it is very very tempting.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Champs
    I would also buy any 85's you pop a 9 or 10 on if I dont have them

Some basic prices are about $35-$40 for a psa 10 if its a pop 4 or greater, common of course. You might fetch about $50- $60 if it gets to a pop 3 or 2, and about $100 if its a pop 1.
    As usual, it depends on whos watching, and if someone already has it and it gets picked up by a newcomer to the set.

Id got for it, all work and no play makes Johnny a very dull boy

joe
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've never built a football set, raw or otherwise, so I'm thinking about making '85 Topps my first attempt. Love the look.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    5 and a half years later 1985 topps football boxes are 195 from BBCE, an increase of 44.4% over that time. No other point to this post, just thought that was somewhat interesting
  • Options
    Thats a nice return. Any idea what the Pop 10 report has done in that time......
  • Options
    Nice dig up on this thread. Perhaps Champs ended up buying and ripping few cases since 2007, hence the price increase, haha.

Not sure I would have the strength to buy a box of 85 Football for the purposes of subbing. Way too condition sensitive. I'd have to either admire it as an unopened box or just enjoy the ripping.

2500 PSA 10's on 32000 subs. 13500 PSA 9's Not sure where things were at in '07
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    I've been building this set for years. The ultimate goal is all PSA 10, but PSA 9 minimum to be in my set. Over the years, I've had good results submitting from cello boxes. Better tyhan from rack or wax.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Ive broke plenty of 85 Football product in my time building the ultimate set , Raw of coarse.

The real "fools Gold" here is the obsession for PSA 10's, which are really only 9's on any given day and vica versa with the 9's.

I immediately sell any 10's to the "Collector" with more money than brains.
  • Options
    I've been building this set for years. The ultimate goal is all PSA 10

Wow. I've never been publicly called a fool or having a lack of brains.

Still, if you have any 10's, you can PM or email me, and I'll send some of my "dumb a$$ cash" your way. image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that collector has so much brains !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    that he makes enough $ to buy those cards

I also will pay the extra for a nice card for a set I enjoy.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets