Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting email I got from Centsles re: Ebay coin policy

HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
I dont think I can get myself into trouble for reposting an email I received, can I ? if so I hope this goes poof.

October 9, 2007

To: The Customers of Centsles

Many of you have e-mailed us at Centsles regarding the sudden change in the way our coins are listed for auction. Due to a recent eBay decision, eBay sellers are limited in the information that can be used in the title and description for some coin auction postings. We have been advised that this is an effort by eBay to reduce fraud and fraudulent listings. The following link will direct you to their new coin selling policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-coins.html

As you can see under the title Some Examples, we are no longer allowed to list the certification (grading) company name, or the grade assigned, in the title or the description of the auction listing for any coins not graded and encapsulated by PCGS, NGC, NCS (owned by NGC), ICG and/or ANACS. We will still be able to list coins not graded by those 5 companies mentioned in the policy, but they will now be considered by eBay as raw/uncertified. This policy is now being enforced as of October 1, 2007.

Susan McMillan, American Numismatic Association (ANA) Consumer Awareness Coordinator has stated in the ANA press release of September 18, 2007:

In order for consumer fraud to occur, three elements must be present: a person's
desire, ability and opportunity to commit the fraud, said ANA Consumer Awareness
Coordinator Susan McMillan, We cannot control a person's desire or ability, but we
can try to remove the opportunity.

In our opinion, her statement implies that Centsles and those dealing in coins not certified by the 5 authorized companies are committing fraud. Also in our opinion, it implies that collectors and resellers of coins purchased from Centsles, and other dealers, are also committing fraud. As stated within this press release, those representing the ANA, applaud and support this decision as an improvement by eBay to protect you, the consumer, from yourself. A link to the ANA statement has been provided below for your additional clarification. Also keep in mind while reading, ANA President, Mr. Stuppler (eBay id verypq ) and ANA Acting Executive Director, Mr. Kenneth Hallenbeck (eBay id Hallenbeckcoins), both quoted in the ANA statement, are eBay Powersellers who only sell coins certified by NGC, PCGS, ANACS & ICG coins.

http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=11936

In fact, the value of the coins certified by those five approved grading companies could now have the potential to have an artificially inflated cost due to the decrease in supply of available alternatives.

While we strongly disagree with eBay's new policy, we are making every effort to comply. However, it is our opinion that this policy may in fact violate antitrust laws. If you feel the same, we strongly encourage you to do some research into this question, and if convinced, contact the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). We are supplying the following link regarding the antitrust laws found at the Department of Justice website:

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/contact/newcase.htm

It may interest you to know that some of the unauthorized grading services, eBay sellers and consumers, such as yourself, have made the effort and have already contacted the Department of Justice regarding eBay's policy. The more people to protest eBay's policy to the DOJ the stronger the demand for an investigation into the overall impact this policy will have.

If you do not feel as strongly about this as an antitrust issue, but still feel this policy is in some way unfair and unjust, please contact eBay to make your statement at: http://pages.ebay.com/help/newtoebay/questions/contact-support.html

We thank you, our customers, for your continued confidence in and support of Centsles as an eBay Powerseller!

This email was sent by: CENTSLES
PO BOX 621748 ORLANDO, FLORIDA, 32862, UNITED STATES

Comments

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I smell another lawsuit???
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126
    The old antitrust word in conjunction with ebay tossed around again. I don't see how this policy on its face benefits ebay other than to prevent fraud. In fact ebay is more likely to lose revenue. Just my humble opinion.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    ONETHREEONETHREE Posts: 1,126

<< <i>Do I smell another lawsuit??? >>

They would not be asking you to contact the DOJ if they were serious about funding their own lawsuit. However, they are attempting to get the government to file one.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Centsles is a pretty shady dealer anyway, I always thought. Maybe they'll fade away now that they can't sell "garage-graded" coins. Check out this Trade Dollar they're selling: some say AU55, some say cleaned VF30

Trade Dollar
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

I know Larry Briggs has already been making some noise about it.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Oops
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I find amusing is how he infers conflict of interest by others yet he purveys his own overgraded self-slabbed NNC crap. Gimme a break. This is just one more "that's not fair" schoolyard whine from one of many power scammers that are going to (hopefully) see a reduction in their bottom line thanks to ebay finally implementing a beneficial policy. They infer lawsuits, antitrust issues, etc. ... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a settlement check.image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I got the email also

Once you I got by the blah ... blah .. blah .. I did notice his statement:

<< <i>In fact, the value of the coins certified by those five approved grading companies could now have the potential to have an artificially inflated cost >>

AS oppesed to WHAT ???

The "artificially inflated prices" some put out on the unapproved grading companies by citing the PCGS price guide ...

• Options
    Wow! Good to know that RJ aka Centsles is so concerned with ethical issues. My favorite part:

"In fact, the value of the coins certified by those five approved grading companies could now have the potential to have an artificially inflated cost due to the decrease in supply of available alternatives."

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

>>

Johnson is whistling Dixie, Teletrade has had pretty much the same policy for a long time and no one has overturned it.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Hey, they got the date AND Mint Mark correct on the Trade Dollar. That's more important than the grade.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Centsles is a pretty shady dealer anyway, I always thought. Maybe they'll fade away now that they can't sell "garage-graded" coins. Check out this Trade Dollar they're selling: some say AU55, some say cleaned VF30

Trade Dollar >>

This is the type of auction that is very misleading and should be pulled. Calling out Choice Uncircluated in the title is saying a grade AUXX. This coin has absolutely no luster to be consider for AU and it has too much wear. VF30 is generous.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Johnson is whistling Dixie, Teletrade has had pretty much the same policy for a long time and no one has overturned it. >>

Good point! But I think ebay will eventually be forced to come up with a application of criterias that will have the final say as to who can list and who can't. It's hard to believe that they (ebay) could assume who's legit and who's not. I don't belive it will be too long before one or two of the omitted come up with 3 certified graders as part of some agreement to relist under 3 letters again.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I got the same email from centsles.
    I cherrypicked a rare variety Seated Quarter from him a while ago, so I'm on his mailing list.
    I'm not a lawyer, and I have no idea if Ebay is running afoul of the antitrust laws.
    I do believe that this is just the beginning, and that the listing requirements will evolve and change for the betterment of the hobby.
    The ANA is behind this, and they'll make revisions as they get flak from their members until theres a reasonable policy in place.

Ray
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    You can reply to the email, so I told him I agree with the policy and think that it's intended for sellers just like him.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    The auto industry has been successful in ordering dealerships
    and approved repair centers into using what they refer to as genuine repair parts.
    They have also warned the public that all other parts including foriegn made parts
    are substandard and, in some cases, dangerous.
    This seems to equate with eBay's policy of approving some grading companies
    and restricting others they deem to be substandard. In view of this, eBay is
    not in violation of antitrust laws.

• Options
    The most shocking thing about this thread is that you hadn't yet moved Centsles to the "auto spam" filter. I haven't gotten an email from them in about 3 years image
    Member SSOF

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My copy of the email got the old click....click.....delete. Never have purchased anything from them that I know of. It looks as though some seller I have purchased from has given out my email address because lately four or five dealers that I have not done business with have been sending emails. Lots of click.....click.....delete garbage.

Ken
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the email too. They amuse me. When Bob first started with NNC, I emailed him to ask about them. He said they'd been grading for a few years and were very good. Needless to say, I don't play there anymore. There's only one type of support I'd lend him now, but it's in the wash and I don't think he could lift it anyhow. Mike
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get an email so I guess that means that I never bought anything from him. Good for me image

He is entitled to his opinion, but IMHO Ebay is right on the mark by targeting sellers like him.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a plea of survival letter to legitimize the seller who almost never sells any PCGS, NGC, ANACS, or ICG coins.

I just heard the worlds smallest violin playing in the background as I read it. image

Feedback of over 30K... there's going to be a lot of upset Senseles buyers when it comes to resell.

I personally feel that the new Ebay policy will protect the newbies to this fine hobby by adding a bit of fraud protection... by taking out the trash. image

As once bitten, twice shy... image

However Ebay may not have a big enough broom to really clean up their mess?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When Bob first started with NNC, I emailed him to ask about them. He said they'd been grading for a few years and were very good. >>

That's interesting, since he founded NNC.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact, the value of the coins certified by those five approved grading companies could now have the potential to have an artificially inflated cost due to the decrease in supply of available alternatives.

If find this statement to be misleading and patently untrue. The available alternatives have not been changed due to the refusal of ebay to accept the grading on their plastic slabs. They can offer their coins with their grade estimates embedded in the text of the auction, just like I can.

If they had maintained any grading standards within a semblance of the ANA standards, I doubt that there would be an issue. ANA has been around alot longer than they have been and has a right to endorse the TPGs that more closely follow ANAs written grading standards. Ebay has every right to enforce their own listing rules.

Am I missing something? If NNC wins, I plan to start my own NGS (No Grading Standards) company, and I'll even throw in a sticker with every purchase. Heck, my business model is already established for me.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not get one of those emails, of course I never bought anything from him so I guess I would not be on his mailing list...image
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centsles should watch out for what he wishes. The DOJ just may step in look at the schemes being perpetrated by these 3rd tier holders, and require the parties behind them to make restitution. Now that would be worth seeing. If just few of the buyers of these 3rd slabs decided to get them regraded at top TPG's, that world would begin to cave in.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    What I would like to know is how they got my email address. I never bought a thing from them yet I receive frequent email from them.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Assuming this is the same Robert Johnson of Centsles, then he can, in fact, grade to the PCGS standard, and quite well too.

Which poses the question . . . . . . . image
  • Options
    I have never been able to figure something out.

What state does Bob Johnson as centles work out of? I'm under the impression it's WS or MI. The one time I took it in the shorts a few years
    ago I believe my centles package came out of MI.

I've emailed, talked on the phone once, and helped out a Bob Johnson
    that started and operates my favorite numismatic list.... www.coinsheetlinks.com I don't
    believe you can find a better A - Z numismatic list on the web. This
    Bob Johnson has a San Diego address. A querywhois, which he has a spot to a the coinsheet link
    shows a San Diego address.

Does anybody know: Is Bob Johnson aka centles the same Bob Johnson that owns and operates coinsheetlinks?

Jerry

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is really disgusting is that Mr. "Centsles" has won a few PCGS grading contests, so its not like he does not know the standards.

The crap in those NNC slabs is intentionally overgraded to play the old "overgrade by 2 or 3 points" then "sell for 1 point below the stated grade", making the hundreds of less experienced collectors think they are getting a bargain, when they are really getting screwed. The new Ebay coin policy should put a HUGE dent in this "white collar overgrading", and is a welcome change.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Jerry,

The Bob Johnson of Centsles is in Florida.

Edit: In fact, he's still listed with a Florida address as the registrant for the domain name nnccoingrading.com.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i><STRONG>The auto industry has been successful in ordering dealerships
    and approved repair centers into using what they refer to as genuine repair parts.
    They have also warned the public that all other parts including foriegn made parts
    are substandard and, in some cases, dangerous.
    This seems to equate with eBay's policy of approving some grading companies
    and restricting others they deem to be substandard. In wiew of this, eBay is
    not in violation of antitrust laws.</STRONG> >>

Except for the fact that auto makers support the dealerships and part of that relationship is that they agree to use genuine parts. Last I knew, ebay doesn't support any of the sellers on ebay.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I would like to know is how they got my email address. I never bought a thing from them yet I receive frequent email from them. >>

Centsles paid strong money for an EF cleaned (net graded) $20.00 ANACS slabbed coin I had on Ebay, no doubt landing in an AU58 NNC crapslab. I'm sure that is where he got my email addy.
  • Options
    I got that email too.
    My take is here is a guy selling lots of overgraded third tier slab coins claiming it's his right to stick it to the uneducated collector. He seems miffed his sucker parade is getting rained on. And what really gets me is even if the grade is correct that only means it probably has been cleaned. Bravo to EBay
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got the email also

Once you I got by the blah ... blah .. blah .. I did notice his statement:

<< <i>In fact, the value of the coins certified by those five approved grading companies could now have the potential to have an artificially inflated cost >>

AS oppesed to WHAT ???

The "artificially inflated prices" some put out on the unapproved grading companies by citing the PCGS price guide ... >>

I got the email too (he does have PCGS coins from time to time)... and I completely agree with you!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Amazing!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    here one for Russ from Centles.... lol
    1964 50c NEAR PERFECT DCAM GEM PROOF ACCENTED HAIR
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here one for Russ from Centles.... lol
    1964 50c NEAR PERFECT DCAM GEM PROOF ACCENTED HAIR >>

Sleezy.

Man, that's sleezy!!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought several coins from this seller....always PCGS graded and fairly priced.

Also a few NNC's that I liked and wanted.

Super fast shipping.

NNC grading???....50/50 crapshoot.

IMHO???.....a very reputable eBay seller with a generous return privledge.

Main point here: Honest seller, let the buyer beware!!!!
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Never heard of them but I got the email as well. I'd be just as happy if they narrowed the list from 5 to just 1, PCGS. IMHO. image

G
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take is here is a guy selling lots of overgraded third tier slab coins claiming it's his right to stick it to the uneducated collector. He seems miffed his sucker parade is getting rained on. And what really gets me is even if the grade is correct that only means it probably has been cleaned. Bravo to EBay

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The crap in those NNC slabs is intentionally overgraded to play the old "overgrade by 2 or 3 points" then "sell for 1 point below the stated grade", making the hundreds of less experienced collectors think they are getting a bargain, when they are really getting screwed. >>

Not to mention that these NNC slabbed coins have very often been cleaned (at least based on the photos, I've never been tempted to buy one), making that "bargain" even more of a royal screwing.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    This guy whining and trying to make this sound like a detriment to collectors has some freakin' nerve. And like others have pointed out, he knows better and really knows how to grade, which makes it that much funnier...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In our opinion, her statement implies that Centsles and those dealing in coins not certified by the 5 authorized companies are committing fraud. >>

You smelt it, you dealt it.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how antitrust laws apply to this situation. Ebay does not compete with the TPGs.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I believe it's called "grasping at straws".

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand how antitrust laws apply to this situation. Ebay does not compete with the TPGs. >>

Last I knew, ebay doesn't compete with anybody. Ebay doesn't sell the stuff listed on its website. So then to limit it to only the top 5 (which can be argued why these 5) is really stupid. If my wife goes on ebay to buy a Gucci bag, ebay doesn't verify that each bag is or is not authentic. If they find out that you sell fakes, they'll kick you off. But they don't require proof that it is authentic. Why are coins being focused on?

( I know that didn't answer the antitrust law question. )
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe it's called "grasping at straws". >>

The funny thing is that he's hoping someone else will do the research and make the anti-trust case for him. (Here's the DOJ website. Go nuts.... please!) He's either clueless or he believes that bluster will make up for not having a case. Given the craven NNC grading described here, I believe it's the latter.

Another logical stretch of his is that the policy implies that collectors are "commiting fraud" by buying his stuff. Boy, that should rally his customers round him! Right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file