Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the hottest modern Eagle series???

First introduced in 1986, the silver and gold Eagles were largly ignored by serious coin collectors until the early 2000's. Witness the 1997 platinum series that also showed the same lackluster interest (and IRA abuse) until the price of platinum soured in 2004. Now with a incredible surge in Eagle collector/investors, which series, year or minatge is going to be the next 1907 UHR DE, 50, 60 or 100 years from now? Some laugh but I can remember Mercury dimes in change and I'm not that old. Granted the grade makes up a lot of the value so with the PCGS pops in mind can some of you experts let us know what your thoughts are? Oh, and where to buy such coins at remarkable prices??? image

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof Plats - if they are not the hottest now - check back with me in 5 years!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Changing reverse plats with mintages less than 6500 coins will be evil in their time.........

• Options
    Proof Plats..i dont know about any other modern and get all my modern advice from wondercoin..seriously though the proof plats sure look cool...i have some..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    I agree, Proof Platinum coins are the "Premium" collectable for me.

Steve
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    So what is the deal with the new platinum coins due in 2009. Reverse proofs? Anyone know?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griv - I don't know yet - too busy trying to keep up with 2007 coins, especially with Platinum closing in on $1,400/oz. What to do.....

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Your answer-pulled from another post.

Proposed six coin "preamble" themes 2009- 2015.

Changing reverse platinum Eagles Year-Design theme

2006.Legislative
    2007.Presidential
    2008.Judicial
    2009.We the people
    2010.Perfect Union
    2011.Establish Justice
    2012.Domestic Tranquility
    2013.Common defense
    2014.General Welfare
    2015.Blessings of Liberty
  • Options
    I don't know if I like the reverse proofs. They really aren't as visually striking as normal US proofs and I think the novelty has worn off. I've been collecting the Australian proofs for a while and they are all reverse and while very nice, the whole mirror effect is lost. I do think platinum is going to continue to go up as will gold and palladium. Platinum at 1,391 an oz and 4-5 years ago it was $600. I'm thinking of pulling my plat eBay items off with the price going up so fast. Look for the US Mint to suddenly "sell out". How many people are going to want to pay 4+ grand a set?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I believe the cost of platinum will cause the mint to stop issuing sets and only issue 1/4 or 1/2 versions. When it gets to $1800 an ounce these may be discontinued. One can alway hope. To answer your question it is the Silver Eagle Program. 20 to one over gold and probably 60 to one over platinum for a collector base.
  • Options
    I've read a lot of buzz lately over the UNC W Plat series and looking at the pops of the each denomination for 06 they are ridiculously low and with the premature stoppage of the 07s, it seems this will be a tough series to pick up 50 years from now. The price of platinum is skyrocketing hitting 1,415 /oz before pulling back to 1,408/oz so will the market be in a plat coin buy market next year as the series (as we know it) ends based on the assumed low mintages or will the Mint screw us all like they did with the 07 Sacs and over mint the darn things?

imageimage