Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Holey newp- 1650 Nurnberg silver ducat klippe!

Rick E. ("Ricke") wanted my 1794 Peruvian 2 reales, and so I held it for him, but we hadn't quite agreed on a proper swap for it.

The stuff he was offering was nice, but I wanted something "special".

Then he offered me this holey klippe, which is something I've always wanted for the Holey Coin Vest. Previously, I have only owned one klippe, and it wasn't holed (Ye Dead King ended up with that one). I did see a nice holey one at a show, but didn't have the money for it.

A silver coin from 1650 is cool.

A silver klippe from 1650 is even cooler.

A silver klippe with a picture of a little kid riding a stick horse across the front of it falls into the category of supercool.

Using the Cool-o-meter, I get a reading of sixty-five megafonzies on this one. image

Here's a reduced-quality pic that suffered a little when I shrank it to meet filesize limitations. The coin has a nice grey, original look to it. I dare say it's a near "CircCam™".

Here's an unholed one that went for $276 on Heritage.

Now, who knows anything about this issue? Rick says it isn't listed in Krause, which wouldn't surprise me. I didn't look for it there. Is it some sort of medallic issue? Were most klippes medallic/commemorative issues of some sort, and why were they made? They obviously circulated, though in the case of this piece, the wear could've resulted from it being worn as a pendant or something.

I really like this piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin lordm. It will look great on the holey vest.
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677

Wooo! I contributed to the holey vest. That has to be worth an award for the sig line image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    LordM, I doubt if I will ever see your holey vest in person. It's been an object of great fascination for me since I first saw you
    wearing it in an image from a coin show you attended.

Would you be up to having some pictures taken of all four sides, or in the "round" as it were, with you wearing it?

I would love to see it in more detail... ed to add: the hat as well please.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome klippe image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laurent, it would be such a project to photograph all the coins individually that I haven't yet done it. It would need a webpage of its own, almost.

I have thought about offering one of the gold coins off my hat (or perhaps a suitably nice unholed swap) to anyone who's up to the challenge of photographing the coins off the vest. I can take pics of front and back of the vest itself, and the hat, of course, but the closeups of each coin are what would take so long. Without them, it would be difficult to see everything on there.

I don't even completely know, myself, since pieces get added, traded away, etc., and in between coin shows, it sits mostly in a state of dissasembly. I have never done a complete inventory of the vest.

This shot of the front of the vest (from which my avatar picture derives) is about all I've got.

And this old collage pic of some highlights.

It includes the O-129 Discovery Draped Bust half that I didn't even know I had (and now no longer do), and my previous Feuchtwanger cent, which I have since upgraded.

The "dark side of the moon" (the side of the vest never seen in photos yet) is a mostly-complete US large cent date set. I am also working on a date set of Capped Bust halves, but have not put them on the vest or figured out where they'll go, since the holey large cents take up almost the entire back. The bust halves might need another vest.

I also find myself tempted to do a date set of US Seated dimes with love token reverses. So many holey coin projects, so little time! (And so little space, on the vest!) Looks like I might need to make Holey Coin Vest III to accomodate any more. (This version is Holey Coin Vest II- the original was a one-sided deal with many fewer coins).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Wooo! I contributed to the holey vest. That has to be worth an award for the sig line image >>

Your wish is my command. You're the first to ever ask for one. Now everyone else will be saying, "Hey, where's mine?" image

Here's a really sucky one. (Hey, all I had here at work was Paint.)

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Uber-Cool! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    slick!
  • Options
    You're the first to wear one of those. image

• Options
    I was an underbidder on the Heritage coin. Cool coin.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Hey, where is mine?

imageimage
  • Options
    Udo, you definitely qualify. Your coin-tribution is one of my favorites!

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    That klippe is a 10 on the coolness scale, not only because it's a klippe, but because of the design. Nice score!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    LordM - awesome design on that klippe! Definitely high on the Cool-o-meter.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Lovely klippe, congrats. Almost enough to make one want to dust off the German collection......

Wear it in good health!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    After some research I found an old pic of the coin I cointributed to the vest.

Not as cool as the Klippe but image as well.

imageimage
  • Options
    Awesome klippe LM image

~
  • Options
    I believe I have mentioned before that Udo's coin there has been one of my favorite holeys. He gave it to me at a time when I was still reeling from having inadvertently sold an important rarity off my Holey Coin Vest. It was a nice consolation coin. 'Tis a big, hefty, thing, too.