Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I have PSA Grade T206 Cy Young?

Hi,

I have acquired some early baseball cards, and would like some opinions on whether or not it is worth having them graded by PSA. They will ultimately be for sale, so I want to weigh the cost and time of grading against the return on my investment. I've never dealt with cards like this, so this is new to me. I have a Tolstoi T206 Cy Young, a Mecca combination card with Frank Chance and John Evers, and 2 Recruit cigar cards of Red Sox players Stanley Yerkes and Olaf Henriksen. I will attempt to post scans of the cards shortly if I can figure it out, or would be glad to email them to anybody that would like to see them. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

Yes,

If you want to sell I highly recommend getting them graded. It will be well worth your grading cost.

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    grade them and remove all doubt from a potential buyer. the cost to grade will be minimal compared to the extra you will make by having them slabbed.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Least of all, have them graded as AUTH. Nice Cy Young card...It is the most common of the 3 versions, but, even a low grade gets good money.

Good luck!image
  • Options
    Thanks everybody, for the good advice. I will go ahead and get them graded. I've never used PSA before and only briefly looked at their website. Is it worth joining for these few cards? Or what's the best way to submit them? Thanks again...
  • Options
    For one or two cards, sgc may be the better service for you.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SGC for vintage and only a few cards. If you plan to continue to have cards graded, PSA is the way to go. Good luck and Welcome. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    If you are interested i would be glad to send them for you . I usually go with 13 a card 5 business day. Im sure a few guys here would vouch for me as honest Jeff
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    Not only does the grading remave doubt from a potential buyer but the Tolstoi back is a HUGE plus !!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im sure a few guys here would vouch for me as honest Jeff >>

You could be honest Abe himself, and I say there is no way a new member is sending you his Cy Young's to submit for him.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd use SGC for those cards for sure. I'd love first shot at the young when it's graded as well.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    definitely have them slabbed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    SGC would be the best way to go on that one. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi and Welcome!

I recommend you consider joining the club and get 6 submissions with it.

You get access to the SMR on-line and the population report, get the monthly SMR magazine (priceguide and articles if ya not familiar) - and they usually have some kind of nice bonus like a book or something.

I can not say for sure that the card is real or not - but PSA or SGC will.

Good luck and don't be a stranger - if ya submit them to PSA or SGC - please let us know how it goes?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks again everybody for the helpful info, and all the welcomes. I've decided to send them in to SGC. I'll post again when I get them back!
  • Options
    Well, I got the cards back. Good news and bad news. The Recruit cards graded VG and VG/EX. The Mecca card graded G. The Cy Young was rejected because the "minimum size requirement was not met" (SGC code SML). I don't know how to interpret that. They didn't say it was trimmed or altered or counterfeit. Is it just smaller than the norm because of variations in production practices? What are my options from here? Should I have it graded by another company, or would I be wasting my time because they will reject it also?
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Nice grades on the Mecca and Recruit cards.

If the card is altered, whether mechanically, or otherwise, I would have it sent to PSA or SGC and put in an "AUTHENTIC" holder. This guarantees that the card is what it is...

Good luck. Post scans when you get a chance, even of the ungraded Young!!
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>If the card is altered, whether mechanically, or otherwise, I would have it sent to PSA or SGC and put in an "AUTHENTIC" holder. This guarantees that the card is what it is... >>

You will still be able to get a nice price for the card this way.