Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a type B rev quarter?

I do know the difference. The reason I ask is this is a year that I have never known there to be a type 2 reverse on. I was going through a roll of Unc and every one the ES was touching except this one. It appears to have good separation in the ES and very strong details in the features. I'm not giving the year because I want an honest answer and not a bunch of people saying that this is impossible. It's in the 70's.

Life member of the SSDC

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do know the difference. The reason I ask is this is a year that I have never known there to be a type 2 reverse on. I was going through a roll of Unc and every one the ES was touching except this one. It appears to have good separation in the ES and very strong details in the features. I'm not giving the year because I want an honest answer and not a bunch of people saying that this is impossible. It's in the 70's.

image >>

'79-P type "d" it looks to me.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OK, Now you got me. I just started finding type B and learned about type C, what the heck is Type D? And how far does this thing go, type Z? Is this anything good or should I spend it? I grade it a 65 and your right about the 1979-P, good eye, I'm impressed.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

<< <i>OK, Now you got me. I just started finding type B and learned about type C, what the heck is Type D? And how far does this thing go, type Z? Is this anything good or should I spend it? I grade it a 65 and your right about the 1979-P, good eye, I'm impressed. >>

It's a lucky guess. image

It's also a pretty rare coin in unc. Send it to me if you don't want it.

There are lots of tell tale signs that it's a '79 but it looks more like a "D" than a "P". I figured
    "P" because of your location. This is where these were released.

The type "d" eventually came to be used on all quarters after 1984. In '79 it appeared on about
    .75% (or a little more) of the issue but none were saved and finding rolls in the release area is
    very difficult. About 80% of the rolls saved of this date came from the Indianapolis or Pittsburgh
    FED and there were, apparently, none released through these districts.

There could easily be fewer than a couple dozen of these.

Good eye.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i> And how far does this thing go, type Z? >>

Type "d" is the last of the eagle reverses. Indeed once the '85 was issued they started to get hard to tell apart. Befor this thjere are enough differences that you can usually tell the date and mint from the reverse alone.

There are several mules.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great information. IS there a website I can go to to research moe on this and others? Thanks in advance.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the great information. IS there a website I can go to to research moe on this and others? Thanks in advance. >>

This one is still unreported for some reason.

You can find it on all of the '77 to '84 quarters except the '82-P. It also appears in the regular '81 mint set on the "P". Earlier datesa tend to be much scarcer and later dates are common. Despite being exceedingly common in circulation the '84-D is surprisingly tough in unc. The '77 and '78-D may not exist in unc.

The easiest way to spot it is the right side of the "N" in "UNUM" is farther from the eagle's head on the type "d" (small motto).

CONECA is a great website for most varieties and Coppercoins for cents. Rotated dies can be found at this site.

There are a few others for more specialized listings. The CherryPicker's Guide is an excellent resource that is widely used.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cladking most definitely knows his clad quarters! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    I am in awww, thanks so much for the valuable information, you sure know your stuff. Who are the people that track this stuff and is there a book I can buy to gather further information. The websites you mention are wonderful, but for this coin they have no listings. Who does it get report to if this is an unreported coin? BY the way I walked into the local B&M and got out with 4 type B reverses in MS64-65/66 for $35, now I need to look for these as I am sure they will be the collectable of the future.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    If it were a silver Quarter from 64 back the immediate answer would be "Yes" however being it is clad and from the 70s, I have no idea.
  • Options

<< <i>I am in awww, thanks so much for the valuable information, you sure know your stuff. Who are the people that track this stuff and is there a book I can buy to gather further information. The websites you mention are wonderful, but for this coin they have no listings. Who does it get report to if this is an unreported coin? BY the way I walked into the local B&M and got out with 4 type B reverses in MS64-65/66 for $35, now I need to look for these as I am sure they will be the collectable of the future. >>

Unfortunately a comprehensive work on clad quarters has yet to be published. I haven't
    seen anything from him in a few years but Herbert Hicks was the authority.

There is one interested expert who will probably list it but it may be some time yet. There's
    just remarkably little interest in the clad quarters. Coin World did publish a little blurb a few
    years back asking if anyone knew when the type "d" was instituted but never did a follow-up.
    The bright spot is that a lot of the big authors are increasingly interested in listing coins in cir-
    culation that are different and desirable.

I'll certainly let you know if it happens.

I've tried investigating these myself but have had little success. They seem simple enough at
    first but the harder you look at them the tougher they get to figure. The situation may be com-
    pounded a little by the existence of what appear to be some hybrid reverses the first couple of
    years. It's tempting to ascribe these to West Point but the evidence doesn't support it and there
    aren't nearly enough of most dates for this to be the case.

I suspect they are related more to proof production and these are often highly PL. This especi-
    ally applies to the '81-P and '82-D.

The '79-P was released largely in NW Indiana and was the first one I saw of the type.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    You are the King of Clad for sure. I guess I will sock it away in the "open in 30 years" box, but I am really interested in the different varieties. I will keep a look out for a book. Thanks again for the info as I am still amazed at collectors like yourself with what seems like an unlimited knowledge of the series they collect. If your from the midwest, I would love to shake your hand at a show and buy you lunch for sharing this information with the little guys. I find this very neat and will really be keeping an eye out for these going forward.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I think cladking should write the book on this subject. Amazing knowledge! Thanks for the education.
  • Options
    The nomenclature of late here is driving me bats.

Type C refers to the 1965 - 1974 clad (and a very few 1964 D silver). Yet there are at least 6 different subtypes within this group, one of which I can detect by touch alone. I can separate the 1968 S, 1969 D and 1970 D into three piles by touch alone. (I haven't actually tried it with the 1968 S). I am amazed that varieties of such magnitude are so ignored by the hobby.

I had assumed Type D would refer to the quarter reverse starting in 1977. There are subtypes here too. Cladking - could you give me a definition of your clad D?
  • Options

<< <i>

I had assumed Type D would refer to the quarter reverse starting in 1977. There are subtypes here too. Cladking - could you give me a definition of your clad D? >>

I don't know how I missed this. It actually turned up on an unrelated search.

There are a lot of little differences on the type "d". Like the earlier ones you mention
    the most dramatic difference (especially on the '83 and '84) is the much lower relief
    than the type "c". On most the lettering is a little smaller especially toward the top
    of the reverse. The "Q" has a shorter and straighter tail. The most noticeable diff-
    erence is the distance between the right side of the "N" in UNUM and the eagle's head.
    It is much farther on the type "d".

The earlier issues are very difficult to locate in any condition. The easiest in the '78-D
    but is seen only in circulation. The '77 is probably the toughest but the '77-D and '78
    aren't far behind. The '77-D is surprisingly "easy" in unc so somebody in the distribution
    area set aside a lot of coins. The '79 P&D are both findable but elusive in Unc. Most are
    found in dealer stock and are often only AU. The '80's are fairly common, but again, not
    very easy Unc. The '81-P is less common than the '80-P but there are some 5,000 pieces
    still in mint sets so might be the most common of all of these in unc. The '82-D is extrem-
    ely common and can be found gem and PL (if you can find any of this date). the '83's are
    exceedingly common and account for a large percentage of the few remaining uncs of this
    date. The '84's are distressingly common in circulation. Interestingly few people saved
    '84 quarters since mint sets were being made so nice attractive examples of these are
    not easy to find. The rim was very low on this date and even light circulation usually re-
    sulted in scratches and gouges on the obverse.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

Unfortunately a comprehensive work on clad quarters has yet to be published. I haven't
    seen anything from him in a few years but Herbert Hicks was the authority.

>>

Herbert Hicks is with us now as "ProofArtWorkonCircs".

edited to add that I didn't realize ProofArtWorkonCircs had responded to this thread.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file