Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1952 Superbird 25c what are they worth in a 68?

I recently bought a 1952 proof set cause the half i thought looked awesome and noticed the quarter was a superbird and had a good shot at going cameo. Well the grades posted today and the quarter didnt make cameo (its def close) but it graded a PF-68 at NGC. What can one expect to get for this coin? The highest grade i can find from realized auction prices on a 1952 Superbird is PF-67. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I would guess between $450 and $550.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Was it designated on the holder?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Was it designated on the holder? >>

NGC no longer designates superbird's so its not on the holder but it is indeed a superbird.
  • Options

<< <i>Was it designated on the holder? >>

That's a good question. Somebody said NGC stopped designating these.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i><< Was it designated on the holder? >>

NGC no longer designates superbird's >>

In that case, you can throw out the estimate I posted. You'll likely about half of what a designated one would bring.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< Was it designated on the holder? >>

NGC no longer designates superbird's >>

In that case, you can throw out the estimate I posted. You'll likely about half of what a designated one would bring.

Russ, NCNE >>

At first i thought the same thing but after browsing heritage and looking at ones that are attributed and not attributed they basically bring the same price.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold an ANACS 65 a while back on eBay for about $250.00, if I remember correctly...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    So how you do on the half anyway?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>So how you do on the half anyway? >>

The half came back a PF-66 and also was a very frosty coin but didnt go cameo image I guess the fields where not mirrored enough on them or they saw a break in the frost that i didnt. Its ok i have a few more halfs that are nicer which will go in during this coming week image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me, dredging up old posts! This is the first Proof 68 Superbird I've ever seen for sale..

Link to Ebay auction.

It's up past $700. That said, I'd love to have it!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me, dredging up old posts! This is the first Proof 68 Superbird I've ever seen for sale..

Link to Ebay auction.

It's up past $700. That said, I'd love to have it! >>

maybe it is the pics but i thought i recalled being able to see the "S" so much easier? If there are other examples out there where the "S" is so much easier to
    see I would wait for one of those...

My eyes are not getting any better with age... and being able to see a coin's attirbutes without
    a loupe is very critical for any reasonable enjoyment in my opinion.
  • Options
    I remember the same thing, FC.. like on a few there was a plain, obvious S stamped right on the bird's chest. I took it from $560 to $710 and bailed, as it would have been an unplanned needless purchase and we're in the middle of a soul crushing depression.

Update: Winning bid was $810.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    With the weak S and what looks like hand engraving of the tailfeathers, this coin looks more like a FS-902.

The fifth edition of the CPG describes this as a later die state of the super bird die. However this coin is so perfect, it must be an early die state. I am beginning to think that we have two separate super bird dies. Any comments on this? I do not have too good a record at identfying varieties from pictures.
  • Options
    I can't speak to that but I can supply a good webserver to host the image of the coin, designated on the holder as FS-901, for easier future reference...

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I cannot even clearly see the S in that large pic... And is not the strike just a tad poor. I would not call it hammered at all but i can be totally wrong. Not a bad strike but not hammered. maybe it is the pic. I though the rev eagle breast should have more detail for example.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 67:

And my 66:

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    me likes that 67...that's the crowd i'm in...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok here is One of my 67 cameo's and on any of the cameo or dcam the S jumps out at you, the others not so much. I do find it interesting that a Proof 68 sells for more than the 67 cameo's but it IS the top pop for that grade. I do doubt very much it is the 902, remember the dies were so wore out is the reason they added the tail feathers plus in the picture off ebay the leaf is going in the slot not to the right like the 902. I fell in love with these when I joined 2 years ago and have over 6 now with 2 of the cameo's 67 which thanks to our host changing the price guide from 1500 to 800 has not helped those at all. Enjoy tom image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Hay Guys, I just wanted to say I finnally got home and the 68 superbird is Beautiful, and fits right into my collection...Glad you guys all liked it too. Capt. Dave
    hr
  • Options
    Boy I wish I still had my 68. I believe I got about $400 out of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file