Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: OCTOBER, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    For Relic/Other:

Found 10/1.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Wildcard!

1843 printed Methodist Hymnal, found 10/1 in the attic of an 1840's farm house I had been staying in. I happened across it in the rafters while packing to move.

Thanks!

Ross
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I'll nominate kevinstang's 1866 Indian cent for the Best US Coin category.

• Options
    Best Jewelry Item

A bucket full LOL

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    For best U.S. coin

1884s Morgan

1872? seated dime

Wild card

Bone pokerchip

For best relic the pocket watch key

• Options
    Why not?

If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • Options
    That'd be jewelry...

If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.
  • Options
    Since Zot has gone "yeti"...
    Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token-
    Mexican 50cent piece

Best jewelry-
    Gold plate religious medal (maybe from 1930's or 40's?)

Best U.S. Coin/Token-
    Countersunk $1 Trade Token
  • Options
    Went to England for 2 weeks sep 27 to Oct 12th. These were found in Colchester England.
    Non US Coin catigory
    Celtic gold Dubnovellaunus Late 1st BC to Early 1stC AD Full Celtic gold stater. foung Oct 7 07
    Reverse
    Also found a Saxon Silver Sceat 600 to 660 AD. found Oct 3 07
    Reverse

For Artifact I have a 1st to 4th century roman dagger pommel. found Oct 9 07

Thanks,
    Chicago Ron

PS I was just informed I can put the winner awards on my tag line. Is there any way to get my past awards from July?
    imageimage
  • Options

TTT
  • Options
    Here's mine for best non U.S. coin:

1795 reale

HH,Tom
  • Options

TTT
  • Options
    For Wildcard: A Twenty dollar bill I found while leaving work last week.

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    entry for relic/other. Old toy gun found in dirt pile from street demo.
  • Options
    Relic entry

From Time mag article 1950

During the 1950 election campaign, Chicago reporter Brennan discovered that the Kefauver Crime Committee had asked Chicago Police Captain Daniel ("Tubbo") Gilbert to testify. Gilbert, a lavish spender, known in Chicago as "the world's richest cop," was Democratic candidate for Cook County sheriff. Because of his wretched record as a cop, the usually pro-Democratic Sun-Times supported his Republican opponent, John E. Babb. Under pressure from the Sun-Times, Democrat Estes Kefauver admitted that Tubbo Gilbert had appeared at a closed session, but he would give out none of the testimony.

Brennan knew how to get around that. He hustled off to Washington, came back with the full transcript of Gilbert's secret testimony, but kept mum on how he got it. Next day the Sun-Times splashed the testimony all over the paper. Gilbert had told the committee that he had made his money while a cop because he "bet on elections . . . bet on football games . . . bet on prizefights . . . [and in fact] I have been a gambler at heart." The Kefauver Committee complained bitterly about the printing of the testimony, but the Sun-Times replied that it had published it in the public interest.

Said the rival Chicago Daily News: "The committee suppression of Gilbert's testimony cannot be defended ... A man whose account with professional gamblers runs into thousands of dollars a year ... is not going to be a tough enforcer of the law . . ." As a result of Brennan's story, Tubbo Gilbert, reckoned an easy winner, was snowed under. The Cook County Democratic crash also defeated Senator Scott Lucas, the Democratic floor leader, and elected Republican Everett Dirksen (TIME, Nov. 13, 1950).

imageimage
  • Options
    US Coin entry

1942S Washington Quarter

Jewelery entry

14K Cross ring
    imageimage