Home Stamps Forum
Options

First Posting NMK

From time to time I have glanced at this board and my word it remains a rather dormant forum. My only excursion into chat boards has been on Richard Frajola's. Fundamentally a Postal Historian window it remains open and friendly to all collectors and has provided me with an enormous expansion in terms of friendships, travel, and adding to my collections. Grading has only intruded when it is being criticised or praised. There appears virtually no middle ground to the debate.

The pleasure I shall take in contributing to this board will be - hopefully - that I am preaching to the converted - and we won't have these non-sensical debates about whether grading is the death knell of the hobby. Self evidently it absolutely is not.

So probably, and rather ironically, postings here are few and far between because there are are few controversial topics - other than disagreements that our stamps are graded too low - and even on occasion too high. I would disagree the debate need be so narrow. We can talk about our finds and the fortunes and misfortunes that we encounter. Then there is the academic side. Even tho our stamps might have numbers attached they have history and interest to impart.

My first item of discussion is the Registry sets. The first thing to disabuse is that it's simply a ploy by all those clever guys at PSE to drum up business. I believe it is potentially an amazing tool and incentive for collectors to upgrade and improve the quality of their collections. If it helps makes money for PSE then so be it. But that's a by product so far as I am concerned.

This facility has hardly been noticed it seemsto me by 99 percent of graded collectors, myself included. Why? For myself it was a mixture of laziness, incomprehension of the Eisteinien qualities required to access and the thought that my material would be mostly eclipsed. Well, none of those negatives has proved to be true.

I have received enormous help from Michael Sherman, BJ and Denise. In fact Michael volunteered to place my sets up for me. So don't be shy to say HELP! In a week I have learnt to tackle 80 percent of what I need to know. My material eclipsed? Well, no, that didn't happen. But I dream that others like GU will push me to improve on all fronts. It's quite impossible to become complacent and self satisfied. And if you have three stamps with half decent grades why not put them up? Before long there should be templates for virtually every long and short set. Join in and let battle commence!

It has been my misfortunes to have been one of the few collectors to defend the PSE add nauseum elsewhere. Let me please reassure all the doubters. The only person I ever met at PSE was Randy S at Washington. I do not own shares in the Co. I receive no preferential treatment.

All I know is that PSE re-injected interest in my collecting of US stamps and for that I shall be eternally grateful.

|I do have several criticisms of the Registry as currently constructed. I believe sets displayed as ‘estimated‘ should be removed. How does one know these stamps are not defective? I also believe templates should be created for ALL Scott listings however many stamps there may be in question. We have, for example, just one spot for Sc1 when there are at least 4 major sub categories. This broadening of the inclusion will, I suspect, open the appeal and accessability of the facility. The Registry need not be a pastiche. It can develop into a forum where competition makes us all improve our collections. Nothing wrong with that.
Nick

Comments

• Options
    Hey I see you made it through!
    A BIG WELCOME TO YOU AND GLAD YOUR HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edueku
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Welcome Trojan. Its good to see new members joining up.image
  • Options
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS...
    I just looked up this stamp that my children and I found in a book
    that belonged to my 88 year old father in laws MOTHER! He passed on 7 years ago
    God rest his soul.

This is what I read about it:
    Most valuable stamps issued in the United States:
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
    Denomination: 1c
    Color: Blue green

I will email pictures to anyone that wants to see it!
    I tried to download them here but it said my picture is to big?
    My email is inkyblueyes919@hotmail.com

PLEASE give me any and all advice
    We are so nervous and Hoping for a miracle!
    We have a family of six and if this would mean what I think it could
    it would be such a answer to prayer!!!
    Thanks so much in advance!
    inkyblueyes919
    We make a living by what we get, WE MAKE A LIFE BY WHAT WE GIVE!
  • Options
    Trojan congrats on your Scarsdale wins, hope you get some good grades.
  • Options
    Hello Nick and Welcome.

Pretty quiet baords, maybe we liven up....
    Steve Crippe
    Managing Director - Rare Stamp Department
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> All I know is that PSE re-injected interest in my collecting of US stamps and for that I shall be eternally grateful

What I find exciting is the PSE encapsulated product. 'Slabbed' stamps, for lack of a better terminology, have erased many of the philatelic doubts that caused me to abandon collecting high grade stamps several decades ago.

I do like the PSE registry. I haven't gotten into the PCGS coin or currency registry but the stamp side registry I find interesting and exciting. BJ and her team have been helpful to me on more than one occasion. I was very pleasantly surprised last year when PSE inducted my National Parks set into their hall of fame. I think the PSE registry is great for keeping track of what is in a collection and which stamps might be upgraded. I'm hoping I will eventually have time to upload pics of my higher grade stamps into our registry sets.

NMK, welcome to the forum! It's a bit of a shock to see a lengthy coherent posting here where tumbleweeds rolling by are usually the most exciting thing happening.

Have fun, enjoy!

KJ

• Options
    Yes lets try to keep the tumbleweeds out (not likely) And excuse me I have had many semi-coherent responses(ha ha) on here : ) (and some very lengthy!)
  • Options
    Hi Trojan and welcome.

This forum has a ways to go in the activity department, but it
    is much better than several years ago. It hasn't been too long
    ago that we 'got the forum back' so to speak.

Stamps took off starting with the DC show a year ago last May. The PSE's Registry program had nothing to do with it.

Jerry