Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone track prices on Wisconsin extra leaves ?

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,
I was just wondering how the Wisconsin's are doing. Does anyone track the sale prices?
Thank you !

Comments

• Options
    I usually use CoinValues and look for ads in coin publications to see what dealers are asking for them - seem to be holding steady in price over the last few months - anyone else see it differently??
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    That is what I see also. I don't see a big increase in prices at this time but it will not take a whole lot of interest to make them explode in value at any time. It may not happen until the quarter program is finished.
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    try minterrornews.com- i know i've seen it on the last few issues on the wisconsin's - it has the prices that were sold on ebay grades & raw ones
    its really neat to see price differences

im at work right but i would give you a link ( i think thats the name) - maybe some can give a linlk or find what issue its in - if not i can look it up in a couple days

snowman
  • Options
    Yes, Al's coins was tracking them the last few years although they never kept track on everyone sold which of course would be a dubious task.
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • Options
    look at page 21-22 minterrornews

Link
  • Options
    almost forgot - look at the fall & winter 2007 issues also , i see the the prices for wisconsin's on there to

Link

Snowman
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here it is four and a half months later.....Time to resurrect this old thread. Have the prices held up ?
    That Mint Error News rag is too difficult to read on line. That Adobe stuff is rough.
    Anyone follow them ?
  • Options
    I still follow them but have not seen much interest in them lately. The prices have not increased over the past 6 months and may have dropped a little bit. There has not been much talk at all about them.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I think they have softened a tad. That can be a good thing, for buyers and, eventually, sellers.
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    There was one of each on the BST board a week or so ago. Can't remember what they were asking for them...
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    I guess I am in this for a long haul. I believe that the 35 of these that I have rangeing from AU 55 to MS67 (all ANACS graded) are going to be worth a lot of money in 10 years time.
  • Options
    Actual sale prices for various grades of WI Extra Leaf Quarters are unimpressive to say the least. Particularly six months following Rick and Chris' informative ANA Presentation last August. No real price guide like the Greysheet. No prices listed by variety and grade in the Redbook. No market makers in place. The syndicate of Ebay promoters have disappeared and left many people wishing that they had not purchased these coins at higher Ebay prices now that the prices have fallen. Ken Potter and a few other error experts despise these coins kicknamed " Extra Leaf" quarters and discount them as simply a fad. Error coin money now has to be spent on "Godless Dollars", MN DDOs. Not to mention on Gold/Silver/Platinum and all of the new issues coming from the US Mint. Remember, dollar spending will dry up durring our current US Recession.

Even with all of the negatives and Gloom and Doom surrounding these WI quarters, one best not count them out. The MS 66/67 graded coins are still weak and still overpriced. Especially, NGC. The lower grades have held up much better in price. This is a sign that the state quarter collectors want the coins for their sets. A set of state quarters is not complete according to many people if the set lacks the Extra Leaf coins. It will take many more years than I expected for the varieties to appreciate. I trust that young collectors enjoy the coins and have many years to see them be appreciated. Currently, the coins are too political and have a steep up hill battle. Maybe the US Mint will eventually tell the world who was responsible from the varieties. Only time will tell !
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they seem to be dropping on Teletrade

I bought an ANACS 63 highleaf for $130 + bp/sh

I was watching yesterday a NGC 66 triple set
    that went for $550 + bp/sh

prices holding still on eBay
  • Options
    I think the biggest issue is the fact that a lot of these coins are currently in "hoards" and there are not a lot of them circulating for sale. I must admit that I have quite a few from the stash I found and a coworker of mine still has about 70 ungraded coins. I fell that until more get into circulation and once we get a better idea of true numbers of extra leafs out there, the market may not bounce higher for a while.
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    IMO, once the State Quarter Program is finished and some collectors realize that they dont have an extra leaf WI to complete the set, prices will start going up - but then again maybe collectors could give a %^&$ - time will tell - at any rate, still an interesting story and variety.
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    The Wisconsin Extra Leaf High and Extra Leaf Low will be priced by variety and grade in the 2009 edition of the Red Book (available April 8).

• Options
    That might help the prices.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Just looking at auction history is the only way I know. Some have sold on Heritage, most seem to be on Teletrade and a few on e-bay.
  • Options
    I believe the Denver Mint has found the low leaf die discarded in a box hidden in one of the mint employees room.
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good rumor to spread!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file