Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What the Hobby is About - My Best Picture - I'm asking everyone to Please read this - response not n

My hobby is collecting things...

It's a blend of:

1. intellectual curiosity

2. the desire to acquire

3. the need to catalog and organize things - since I have no control over the chaos in the surrounding world

4. perhaps looking for immortality thru passing my collection to my son?

5. and a certain amount of just plain ole wanting to "show off"

Things are getting a bit askew here - I would like us to celebrate our hobby and remember children do this innately.

IT WAS ADULTS WHO INTRODUCED THE PRICE GUIDE TO THEM! - thus, corrupting (perhaps) for life what this picutre represents to me.

Let's - at least - try to win back this spirit.
mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Killer picture man, and #1-5 aint so bad either.

joe
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Mike- nice picture. For a few months now I have been asking people for extra basketball cards that they do not need or want. My sister is a teacher in downtown Cincinnati and she uses the cards as an incentive to get the munchkins to do better in school. Last fall she gave the kids that worked hard to improve the best cards, one kid got a PSA8 Kobe rookie-he had no clue what the "book" value was, he did not care. Another kid got a game used card of his favorite player and he cried! That freaked me out. A common game used card (to me) was this kids treasure. I do not like basketball myself but I am glad that me and my friends- you all......have made this mission of mine possible. Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    Totally Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always said that collecting is just to remind me of a time when things were much easier!!!!

No jobs, taxes, house payments, bills, ect........

Just wanting to be like the guys on cards!!!!!

Good call Stone193!!!!!!!!!
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options
    Old Days
    Good times I remember...

• Options
    I've been collecting forever it seems like.

I've wondered, why do people collect so much? Why spend so much time on something...especially collecting little pieces of cardboard? Is there a method to the madness?

Cards created a big sense of wonder for me in the 80's.

I'd buy modern packs with my friends for 50 cents at the local liquor store. Then I'd get one of those hygrade price guides and dream about a 53 Topps Willie Mays or a 33 Goudey Babe Ruth.

I loved the variety and depth of the market. From t206 to modern cards.

Any grade.

Any sets you want...team sets, player sets, big sets.

You can trade.

You can watch your cards go up and down (unfortunately, mostly down!)

Then the business aspect, the math. And thus, an obsession image
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I've been collecting forever it seems like.

I've wondered, why do people collect so much? Why spend so much time on something...especially collecting little pieces of cardboard? Is there a method to the madness?

Cards created a big sense of wonder for me in the 80's. >>

"Rosebud...."

That's why we collect, usually.
  • Options
    Good call once again and jmbkb4 and Very nice on your refractors! Some sets are tough because of the $$$
    Some are tough with limited production, this is both. What happens when these are all 10's?
    Man I miss the 80's!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Good call once again and jmbkb4 and Very nice on your refractors! Some sets are tough because of the $$$
    Some are tough with limited production, this is both. What happens when these are all 10's? >>

What happens is that I say "good job" to the members on the registry ahead of me. I have about $5/card + grading fees in well over 95% of my PSA 10s. These cards could go the way of Brien Taylor and I still couldn't lose money on them (if I were to sell).

These aren't for sale anyways, so it's a moot point. My 2 completed sets are for my son.

Which brings us back to stone's original topic.... carry on .....

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of that scene (and goof) from an episode of The Wonder Years. In one episode it shows Kevin and his BFF Paul trading baseball cards. Now the show takes place from between 1968-73 (or exactly twenty years prior to the then current year; in this case 1969), yet the boys are cleary shown trading 1989 Topps baseball cards! Did they have a time machine or something because you couldn't get 1989 cards back in 1969. image

Also, I notice the boys in your photo are trading 1963's; hope their moms didn't dump them if you get my drift. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't the monetary value that keeps me here. It the sense of belonging to a community
    that enjoy the same things that I do. Collecting raw brings back our childhood memories
    of days gone by. Of youth recaptured and gone again.
    Mike, Remember my post "That's when I remember why I collect again?"

Great pic, Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Also it was a way to remember summertime in the dead of a Michigan winter, pull out my cards and look at them and know that spring training is only a few months away!!
  • Options
    That picture reminds me of, well, frankly, ME!

My cousin Jason and I would set all our cards up, EXACTLY like that, on my grandparents bed when we'd have family get-togethers at their house. Then we'd trade image

It was alway fun. Then we'd run over to the 7-11 and buy packs of 1989 Upper Deck. I remember one time the guy at 7-11 gave me the whole box for the price of one pack - I was beside myself when it happened and I just took them. I don't think I understood the wrong of it at the time. Anyways, I still owe my cousin a Gregg Jeffries 1989 Donruss Rated Rookie image

Anyone got one? He'd fall over laughing if I sent it to him now LOL!

Thanks for the picture and the memory - good start to what is going to be a long day!

Bill
    kshorton says: i gots an Empire State Building card... seeking advice.. is this better and worth more than my psa 3 franco harris 1973 topps card which i defouled by trying to make a baby with ? Please advise. the franco card is graded.. the ESB card is not yet, and I do not want to have a baby with the ESB card.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Chicago had is right:

"Old Days
    Good times I remeber
    Fun days
    Filled with simple pleasure
    Drive-in movies
    Comic books and blue jeans
    Howdy Doody
    Baseball cards and birthdays
    Please take me back
    To a world gone away
    Memories
    Seem like yesterday"
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Chicago had is right:

"Old Days
    Good times I remeber
    Fun days
    Filled with simple pleasure
    Drive-in movies
    Comic books and blue jeans
    Howdy Doody
    Baseball cards and birthdays
    Please take me back
    To a world gone away
    Memories
    Seem like yesterday" >>

Great song!!

LINK
  • Options

Cards are for kids, but us big kids enjoy them as well.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    when i was a kid trading wasn't too big around here it was flipping cards and accumlating that way. some trading not much. now i'm trading more, or atleast trying to, and it's a lot more fun then just buting the cards i need.
    great pic
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    My 7 year old has Red Sox cards all over the house thanks to the cards that some of you have sent to him, when trading with me. Each morning when he wakes up 1st thing he asks "Red Sox win?" followed by "What was the score?" and the ever popular "Who's pitching today". He loves getting mail addressed to him and opening it to find more Sox cards. They seem to mean more when they are coming from the "outside", when I give him some, it just isn't the same.

You should have seen me explaining to him that a 92 Bowman card was really Manny Ramirez. He has only known the Manny with the dreadlocks, not a clean cut 20 year old. He picks up the card and states "Manny was really, really young". As far as book value goes, who cares, he certainly doesn't, every card he owns that was in a top loader has been taken out and played with. The innocence is great. What he doesn't realize is that his reading is getting better when he looks at the cards.

The only scary part is that when I get a new game worn jersey in he sits on the bed looking at it with me, saying "mark here, mark here, ohh a nice hole here, and a couple burns". Great, a 7 year old who appreciates wear and holes in a jersey!

He has trouble with simple addition, yet he knows which Red Sox have been Sea Dogs and Spinners in the past. Talk about messed up priorities, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    That's a fantastic picture. It really is sad what the hobby has turned into for so many. I mean, I'll admit that I sell a bit. But only to get money to buy more cards. And it seems that my time away, that I talked about 2 weeks ago, from the hobby isn't turning into what I thought it would be. Yes, I've spent time hanging out with the wife more and on drawing (which I stink at), but I have still been making time to go through my cards.
    The other night when I interviewed over the phone with that guy that's been on here wanting to talking to people, he asked me a question. He asked what my family thought about me collecting. I told him my wife was super understanding and supportive. But, what's really sad, the person who got me into collecting, my dad, has no understanding. He used to collect all the stars in the 50's and 60's. He also collected comic books. Now anytime I find an awesome card, his question is, "When are you selling it and how much do you think you'll get?"
    It's really sad. Some of the greatest cards I own aren't worth a dime, but I like them. I really wish more kids were into the hobby these days. I don't know what it will take, but I'm willing to help.
  • Options
    My wife is always asking why I spend so much time reading this message board or searching ebay for cards. Now I can show her why.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post Stone. I just forwarded a copy to my best buddy. We met in 1st grade and remain close friends today. 1975 was our first big year of trading cards together. I know he will like that photo.
  • Options
    mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Awesome picture! Thanks for sharing!
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • Options
    thats a great picture.

I would strongly encourage folks to do some trading and raw set building, it's a lot more fun the simply collecting plastic. (which has it's place, but be honest, its not nearly as fun as HOLDING the cards in your hand.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally cool photo. I agree that collecting raw is cool too. My 5 year old and I are putting a '73 Topps BB set together raw. Some of the cards are nice but some are beaters too...they have more character. He just started kindergarten so not really good on reading yet....but he can identify all the star players just from their photos so that's really cool too!

-Claude
  • Options
    Great pic Mike!
    Sentiments shared here really apply to my collecting of publications. When I share with friends/patients old programs and magazines, we enter a time machine. One who had a tryout with the Dodgers after the war (Korean..LOL) two cute 80 year old women told me about the minor league games they went to in 40's... countless stories of card collections that were thrown out, games watched on TV etc.
    Discussing baseball cards and memorabilia is really america's official language, it crosses all age, socio economic , racial et al boundaries.
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike- nice picture. For a few months now I have been asking people for extra basketball cards that they do not need or want. My sister is a teacher in downtown Cincinnati and she uses the cards as an incentive to get the munchkins to do better in school. Last fall she gave the kids that worked hard to improve the best cards, one kid got a PSA8 Kobe rookie-he had no clue what the "book" value was, he did not care. Another kid got a game used card of his favorite player and he cried! That freaked me out. A common game used card (to me) was this kids treasure. I do not like basketball myself but I am glad that me and my friends- you all......have made this mission of mine possible. Mike >>

It's funny that you mentioned this as I just posted a topic on the buy/sell/trade section of this message board asking people for cards for the exact same purpose. It's amazing how much a little kid treasures a fifty cent base card of someone like Tom Brady or Steve McNair. If anyone reading this has any modern cards from the last 2-3 years please PM me and let me know how much you want for them as they will be for 2nd graders. Commons, stars, anything neat or basic is welcome. The hobby is important and book value should not always matter, just the look on a little boy's face when he gets a Tony Romo card for doing good on his work reminds me of how I was when I pulled a Charles Barkley card from the penny stack at a card shop - I still have the card and it still brings back the memory.

- Joe
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    we miss u!
  • Options
    I recently had a similar experience by giving some baseball cards to the son of one of my Mom's friends. He's about 6, and had spent some of his allowance on baseball cards a few months back. We've hardly had any rain this summer, so left them outside on his porch. The one day it rains that week was that night. Mom told me about him losing his cards and I headed to my storage room and pulled out 2 1989 Topps vending boxes and a 1992 vending box. I had bought them for a little of nothing and pulled out the cards I needed to finish my sets. I also had an older album with plenty of pages in it. Mom also kind of sheepishly asked if I had any Mickey Mantle cards. I happened to have a 2007 Topps Mantle handy so I gave it to her.

She took them over to their house after Christmas, and said the little fellow put his new video game away just to play with the cards, and Mom said she thought he would cry when she gave him the Mantle card. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Great picture and post!

That's what it's all about!

Bob...
  • Options
    Can anyone make out what year those cards are on the bed?
    I think I see an 89 fleer, but that's me.

Great pic!
  • Options

<< <i>Can anyone make out what year those cards are on the bed?
    I think I see an 89 fleer, but that's me.

Great pic! >>

Looks like '63 Topps to me.

Stone, c'mon back!! If Axtell can do it 67246842764279421684287 times you can do it once!!
  • Options
    I'm sure I see some 63s, also looks like 68s & 67 as well.
  • Options

<< <i>My wife is always asking why I spend so much time reading this message board or searching ebay for cards. Now I can show her why. >>

yes, show here ms green sneakers
  • Options
    A picture is worth a thousand words! This one summarizes my 2008 attitude about collecting. Get back to the fun!

Robert
  • Options
    Great Thread Mr. Stone , I love taking out a box of oldies and just goin through them , remembering how I aquired them ,

Remembering what grade I was in , who I was hanging around with , what kind of trouble I was getting into , How I was gonna get out of goin to school so I could flip for cards or colors and take all Bobby's Yankees .

Now that I have given 90 % of my collection to my son I really still haven't lost any of the interest , I have just as much fun ripping with him , watching his excitment when he gets a really great pull or seaching the memorabilia shops for that special autograph or card .

If cards are for kids , then it's a kid I will be forever .
  • Options
    It is also funny and amuzing when we pick up a few boxes and don't really do so well and he says . . .

" Well, we got crapped on again dad "

" Time to get some more boxes "

And can't forget about my wife , she is an animal when it comes to buying autographed baseballs . . . .she's got the worst addiction I have ever seen in that respect and I thought I was bad . . .TUH !
  • Options
    MOM-
    just because mike sad a bad word, does that mean he can't EVER come home...?

"Let's - at least - try to win back this spirit."