Home Metal Detecting

Neat Wildcard Find - Pictures Added

This will have to count towards the month of October, being that I found it this morning.

I'm on my final leg of moving from the 1840's farm house I've been staying in, so I was doing a final sweep of the attic this morning, when something caught my eye down between the rafters. I maneuvered myself across the beams, reached down to pull out what I assumed to be a modern "New Testament" Bible, the miniature kind given out in droves by various Christian organizations. However, upon inspection, I could tell the manuscript had some age on it, as the binding had all but fallen from the cover plates. I carefully opened the little book to read the handwritten inscription "OLLL, no, 1850" and the following publisher's information:

"Selection of Hymns for the Sunday School Union of the Methodist Episcopal Church

New York; Published by G. Lane & P. P. Sanford
For the Sunday School Union of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at the Conference Office, 200 Mulberry-street.
------
J. Collord, Printer
1843"

Anyway, I'm turning in the keys tomorrow, so I'm going to take a high lumen flashlight up into the attic one last time when I get back to pick up my final load. Who knows? Maybe there are more treasures to be had?

I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance to hook up my scanner after the move is finalized.

Thanks!

Ross

edited to add: I forgot to take a picture of the farm house, but luckily for the viewers, I wasn't able to load everything into the UHaul and am forced to make *one* more run (crosses fingers). I'll be sure to take a few pictures on my way out of Dodge.

Here's a few views of the hymnal I found in the rafters. Again, the binding is falling off, and it's in rough shape, but the pages, other than some water damage in spots, are in fair shape. All very legible.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool 1850's bible

This is my bible, there are many like it
    but this one is mineimage

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he meant a hymnal from 1850?

Cool beans. I would love to see some pics of the old house, not to mention the hymnal and stuff.

That attic sounds really fascinating.

Do you have a pinpointer probe or stud finder or similar small, handheld metal detector? Check those rafters very well. They were a favorite spot for those who concealed caches.

How 'bout the yard? Has it been dug yet? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've many, many hours in the yard, nothing but wheat backs, horseshoes, and farm supplies. This house is on 226 acres of land right on the Chattahoochee River, so I've not come close to covering the land with a coil I'm afraid. It's very wooded around the house, I've dug through over a foot of loam in some places, I'm assuming the rate of deposition is too great, and my XLT, 950 coil, and I aren't skilled enough. In the old plow field I've found hundreds of dollars in clad, as local churches once congregated on the spot for sports and fun, even some modern silver and gold, but I've never found a coin older than the 1940's on this land, and never a silver coin. Then again, September 18th was the one year anniversary of my serious attempt at this hobby. I've much to learn, though I think I do quite well for a "beginner." I'll take some photos with my camera phone tomorrow before I leave, and have them posted soon.

I do have a pinpointer, a White's Bullseye, but it is in storage already.

Long story short, I'm in Atlanta, was hired for a job in Houston, but I have to fly out and be on the road for the next 6 months with various training and schools. I'm a young man, 24 this past July, only out of college for barely over a year, and this is my first "real" job. A career I guess I would say, I've been working from Atlanta as long as possible, but I've got to move now. I've been moving my belonging into storage near my parents who live just outside of Chattanooga, TN, in Rossville, GA...a crow's fly from the Chickamauga Battle Field by the way. When I'm finally settled in Houston, I'll get my own place and move my belongings west. Until then, I'm living in company housing, hotels, and hostels, depending on where I am at any given time.

This is why I'm leaving what could potentially be a treasure hunter's dream.

I hope to have a scanner available tomorrow, I'll scan the title page ASAP.

Thanks.

Ross
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha! Hot-Lanta, eh? A fellow Georgian!

Well, look me up the next time you're down the Golden Isles way.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    BUMP! Pictures added! image
  • Great find!! 226 acres along the Chattahoochee in the Atlanta area? If you own and you're selling, you won't need another job. You must be outside of town just a bit. Best of Luck in Houston.

I'm also in Georgia......northwest area of Atlanta.
    No, lol I don't own it. I wish. The property is actually in Norcross, GA. ATL suburbs, but if it were to be sold would bring 10s of millions. I've been in the process of moving to Houston for about 6 months now, had a lot of things to accomplish before I head west. So I left the Statesboro/Savannah region in March, where I had been for nearly 6 years, to stay with my folks, who were the facility managers of a conference center on the 226 acres. The conference required my parents live on-site in the farm house I spoke of. Neat house, but it needs a lot of work, work the conference couldn't afford to pay for and that my parents refused to put their own money into for no return. The conference owners had to pull out of the contract for financial reasons, not enough revenue to sustain the facility contract and pay for the needed repairs to the facilities. Beautiful place, terrible politics, and I'm glad my parents are out of there. Their company sent them to Chattanooga, TN to salvage another troubled account. I've been moving my belongings from Atlanta, to storage near their new home. They're going to bring my belongings out to me once I'm settled in Houston, whenever that may be. Probably February or so.

I've enjoyed the metal detecting, that's for sure. Anyway, that's a back story on my time there.