Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IKE EXPERTS - are either of these the 72 Type 2

Excuse the bad pix. I lightened them just a bit so you can get a better idea. Thanx.

imageimage

They're different from most others.

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    i'd say the one on the left is type I and the one on the right is type III
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    If you have a shot of a T-2, could you post it please.

Thank you. image
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Per Boom's request:

It's from the link Coll3ctor posted.
  • Options
    OK. Thanks guys. So ... as I understand it, the T-2 basically has no distinct islands then, right?

I just got a few in and they are actually quite nice but I can't (couldn't) tell one from the other.

I appreciate it. image
  • Options
    I am not really sure on your second original picture, but I vote for two type 1's.
    The key to type 2 is the touchup is incuse instead of relief.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK. Thanks guys. So ... as I understand it, the T-2 basically has no distinct islands then, right? >>

Boom, study the Earth on the reverse of the 1971-S Silver Proof as this Earth is what you should look for on the Type 2 IKE business strike reverse for 1972 as that was the die which was used to produce this rarity. There are 3 islands but they are not represented by convex elements. They are actually incused outlines of islands. As a matter of fact, nearly all the elements that make up the Earth are represented by incused lines.

Of note, extreme wear on the earth can remove lightly struck islands so the next key to look for is the shape of Florida. On the Type 2, it has a trangular shape that almost ends in a point. Very thick at the top and narrow at the bottom. To be able to spot these right off takes looking at a lot of IKEs. I remember the first one I bought and had paid a couple of hundred for. It just didn't look any different than the others. Only after searching for and finding a couple was I able to spot it!

Obverse markers are a weakly struck L and I in the word LIBERTY.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Lee, if it's OK with you I'd like to save your picture for future reference.

This way I won't have to bug you guys about this again.

You've all been very helpful. image

Thanx again!
  • Options
    Somebody on eBay was recently trying to sell a type 2 dollar where the "incuse" islands looked like a chisel blow. It had no bids the last I knew.
  • Options
    Hey ! HEY!! HEEEEEEEYYYYYYY! I GOT ONE!!!!!

YES!!! Incuse, eh? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK. Thanks guys. So ... as I understand it, the T-2 basically has no distinct islands then, right? >>

Boom, study the Earth on the reverse of the 1971-S Silver Proof as this Earth is what you should look for on the Type 2 IKE business strike reverse for 1972 as that was the die which was used to produce this rarity. There are 3 islands but they are not represented by convex elements. They are actually incused outlines of islands. As a matter of fact, nearly all the elements that make up the Earth are represented by incused lines.

Of note, extreme wear on the earth can remove lightly struck islands so the next key to look for is the shape of Florida. On the Type 2, it has a trangular shape that almost ends in a point. Very thick at the top and narrow at the bottom. To be able to spot these right off takes looking at a lot of IKEs. I remember the first one I bought and had paid a couple of hundred for. It just didn't look any different than the others. Only after searching for and finding a couple was I able to spot it!

Obverse markers are a weakly struck L and I in the word LIBERTY. >>

been looking at a lot of IKE's lately from my deceased mother's hoard and I totally agree - need to look at a lot before you are able to pick out the differences - so far, found 1971D FEP but still looking for the elusive 1972 Type II - need to go back again and look closely of what I have - THANKS!!!!
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey ! HEY!! HEEEEEEEYYYYYYY! I GOT ONE!!!!!

YES!!! Incuse, eh? image >>

Pics if you can please!

I think the joy of finding one of these is a real rush! Especially after endless hours and days of searching!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'm trying but I have limited skill and a camera that I don't know how to use to it's fullest.

I just put the loupe to it, right under the Reveal and the islands are definitely incuse.! image
  • Options
    "been looking at a lot of IKE's lately from my deceased mother's hoard and I totally agree - need to look at a lot before you are able to pick out the differences - so far, found 1971D FEP but still looking for the elusive 1972 Type II - need to go back again and look closely of what I have - THANKS!!!!"

jimmymac, did your mother obrained her Ikes locally? If so, the East coast yields more '71 T2's than FEP's whereas the Western half of the nation yields more FEP's than T2's.

Just a function of the Federal Reserve Banks supplied by the Philly and Denver mints respectively. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    I'm going to need someone with a lot more skill to do something with what I managed to take.image

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>"been looking at a lot of IKE's lately from my deceased mother's hoard and I totally agree - need to look at a lot before you are able to pick out the differences - so far, found 1971D FEP but still looking for the elusive 1972 Type II - need to go back again and look closely of what I have - THANKS!!!!"

jimmymac, did your mother obrained her Ikes locally? If so, the East coast yields more '71 T2's than FEP's whereas the Western half of the nation yields more FEP's than T2's.

Just a function of the Federal Reserve Banks supplied by the Philly and Denver mints respectively. Rob >>

lived in the Washingotn, DC area when growing up so she got them there - THANKS for the tip - like I said, need to go back and check things out again - this thread has been a tremendous help to me - next time I plan to have a pics of the reverse of the 3 1972 types in front of me - also going to look to see if there are any gem 1972 Type I's - nice premium in MS 66 - I guess this is what it's all about - THE HUNT!!!!!image
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file