Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1800's Rare Alaska Token (Odiak)

Can someone please lookup a catalog value for me on this?

Last one I know of sold on eBay for $1500.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    you have a pic of the reverse?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me like the "K" has been removed -- there were many tokens originating in Kodiak.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks to me like the "K" has been removed -- there were many tokens originating in Kodiak. >>

That was my first thought, but look how the word "ODIAK" is centered between the two ornaments. If it had been "KODIAK," the word would have been off-center quite a bit.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i agree with the posters above that something may be going on
    with the token.
  • Options
    Nope! It was meant to read "ODIAK" here's some history: ODIAK History
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    my trouble is i cannot find another picture of an example anywhere on the internet.
    nor can i find any easy research material in quantity for alaska kodiak or odiak tokens.
    if i do, it is all about the gold.
  • Options
    What about a catalog? I know there's one out there that specializes in Alaska Tokens - but it's difficult to come by. Anyone have a catalog that lists Odiak tokens? Thanks!!
  • Options

<< <i>Nope! It was meant to read "ODIAK" here's some history: ODIAK History >>

I'll be darned -- never heard of it, and I'm an Alaskan... image

Bob, I have an Alaskan Tokens book somewhere, I'll try to find it and get back to you.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Not listed in "Alaska's Coinage Through the Years", sorry. Very interesting...

• Options
    Yes, please! That will really be a great help. I don't want to pull the trigger on $2K without knowing for sure. Thanks a ton.
  • Options
    Oops! Our messages must have crossed in cyberspace. I just replied.

Which book do you have? Is it Alaska Tokens by Ron Benice?
  • Options
    AK's Coinage through the Years: Gould, Bressett, and Dethridge.

I don't have the other...
  • Options
    You might try contacting Dick Hanscom of Alaska Rare Coins in Fairbanks. He puts out a newsletter on Alaskan tokens and tracks prices for notable tokens.
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Eureka. I just emailed Richard. Will post what I learn from him here. Regards!
  • Options
    Got a quick, educated response:

"Ron Benice, in his book "Alaska Tokens" shows this token as dating from 1902-1906. Odiak was near Cordova, possibly the same place as Eyak. One sold on ebay for $308.33 about August 2006."
  • Options
    No problem. That's quite a difference in price.
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    Interesting token from an interesting place. Probably still remains of old Odiak visible today in Cordova. Metal detector paradise I bet if you could find the location of the bunkhouses and cannery. Had the biggest Salmon run on record there this year.

Interesting token thanks for sharing..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file