Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Adams Smooth Rim potential

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you folks think of the potential for the $1 John Adams smooth rim error to appreicate? IT seems to be amongst the rarest of the Pres. Dollar errors. Of course, with the angled obverse now showing up, and who knows how many others, are there too many errors for any of them to really be worth much?
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>angled obverse >>

I guess I missed that one, what is an "angled obverse"
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto, what the skinny on the angled?

bob
    PS: Prices are softening some lately on the smoothies but I can't see them dropping much more.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Adams "rotated die errors". I have pasted the below from an Ebay ad for one of these:

AS I HAVE STATED IN MY PREVIOUS LISTINGS, THE ADAMS ROTATED DIE ERROR IS UNIQUE IN THAT IT OCCURRED DURING THE INITIAL PHASE OF THE PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR MINTING PROCESS, UNLIKE THE “GODLESS” AND DOUBLE-EDGED ERRORS, WHICH OCCURRED DURING THE SECOND PHASE OF THE MINTING PROCESS. THE CORRECT REVERSE SIDE OF A PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR IS DEPICTED IN PICTURE 3 BELOW. IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE REVERSE SIDE OF THE COIN AS IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT A CLOCK, THE WORD “OF” SHOULD BE AT 6 O’CLOCK AND THE TORCH SHOULD BE POINTED AT ROUGHLY 5 O’CLOCK. NOW LOOK AT THOSE TWO FEATURES ON THE REVERSE OF THE COIN THAT IS UP FOR AUCTION (PICTURE 2 BELOW) AND YOU CAN PLAINLY SEE THE EXTENT TO WHICH THE REVERSE OF THIS COIN IS ERRONEOUSLY ROTATED. IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE, IT IS ROTATED 75 DEGREES COUNTER CLOCKWISE, ACCORDING TO PCGS, BUT YOU CAN BE THE ULTIMATE JUDGE OF THAT FOR YOURSELF
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    IMO, the only smooth edge errors that have a chance of appreciating significantly are the top population examples. There are simply thousands of graded smoothies for them to be considered rare although the Adams should do better overall than the Washington. Also, there are other Presidential errors that are far more rare than the smooth edge error like Missing clad layer, edge lettered blank planchet and rotated dies.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I have two of the Washingtons with rotated reverses. Don't have any Adams yet.

I do not think they will go up in value much. In fact, I feel they will come down a long ways before going back up.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Only one Jefferson smoothie found. What is the potential for this coin?
  • Options
    did any interest ever happen with the matte and brilliant edge adams dollar? ngc was "investigating" but not certifying them.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only missing clad i have found out of 112 cases since the series began. Missing clad layer on obverse normally clad reverse. Anybody have any idea what this thing is worth?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Nice find! I haven't seen any adams missing clad layer. I have seen only a couple of Washington's missing clad layer. Overall, errors of this type are much scarcer on the dollar coins vs other denominations being there are many more of the other coin denominations being struck. Last one I saw listed was a NGC 2007-D MS64 George Washington with reverse clad layer missing. It sold for $780 about 6 months ago on eBay.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first missing clad layer. Does this generally only happen to one side of the coin?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I was fortunate enough to find this in march 2007............

imageimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this generally only happen to one side of the coin? >>

Yes, most always only on one side.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file