Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone explain these raised bumps on this 1944-D Wartime Nickel?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Can anyone explain what they are (PCGS MS66)? There are two in front of the head and one by the "I" in "IN" There are several other small bumps but not as large as these. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ok I will take a stab. How about an air pocket between the two sides and they bubbled up with the pressure of the dies coming together.

I am sure I am wrong but sure sounds good.
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the war alloy had a lot of mixing issues...I'm in the bubble club...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Could be. Manganese does not bond well. That issue may be largely solved now with the Sacs, I don't know, but back then lamination problems and such were common. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could be. Manganese does not bond well. That issue may be largely solved now with the Sacs, I don't know, but back then lamination problems and such were common. image >>

Back in the 70s I corresponded with Dr. Goldman at the Mint's lab about the laminations commonly seen on warnix, and he said that back during the war the Mint received raw ingots of manganese from the smelter heavily covered with oxidation.

He said that because of the heavy wartime demand for coinage they just threw the ingots into the melting pots without scaling them first, and when the coins began de-laminating in subsequent years they determined that the manganese oxide had caused the alloying problem.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Die chips in the upsetting die????

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Die rust or some of the others things previously mentioned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file