Home Sports Talk
Options

Kurt Warner vs. Matt Leinart

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
So Kurt is almost back to his 1999-2001 form, and helped the Cards upset the Steelers.

Why don't they just start Warner and not get behind in the first place? image

Comments

• Options
    Leinart needs to be the starter, and the head coach needs to squash this replacement stuff immediately.

Warner is not the future of the franchise - Leinart obviously is. If you want to ruin his career and always have him looking over his shoulder in exchange for a couple of wins, then go ahead and keep up the substitution. But if your long term plan is to win, then you keep Leinart as the starter and only bring in Warner if Leinart gets hurt.

Back to his 1999-2001 form? huh, really?
  • Options

<< <i>Leinart needs to be the starter, and the head coach needs to squash this replacement stuff immediately.

Warner is not the future of the franchise - Leinart obviously is. If you want to ruin his career and always have him looking over his shoulder in exchange for a couple of wins, then go ahead and keep up the substitution. But if your long term plan is to win, then you keep Leinart as the starter and only bring in Warner if Leinart gets hurt.

Back to his 1999-2001 form? huh, really? >>

If they want to win this year, they start Warner. But hey, damn the long-suffering fans and the $600 million stadium, let Leinart keep them out of the playoffs. Steve Young carried a clipboard under Montana, it wont kill Leinart to carry it for a year or two.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use Warner until he is concussed. Shouldn't take more than three weeks. Leinart needs to stop reading his press clippings and pay attention. Eerily familiar of "Any Given Sunday".
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Leinart has been incredibly average at best to this point. I don't think he's ready to start, and may never be... Further, if he can't handle being pushed by another QB for his position, he'll never be able to handle the pressures of the NFL.
  • Options
    Yes, let's ruin a QB for his career by pulling him back from starting and put in a QB long past his prime, just for the sake of winning a couple more games this year.

They always say the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team...there's a reason Warner's a backup and not starting anymore, guys.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warner is good coming off the bench and running the "no huddle". He's not the answer as starting QB. I'm not sold on Leinart either but I would give him more time to prove himself. Unless the OL can keep Warner from getting sacked, he'll go back to the fumbling, bumbling ways he showed at the end of his Rams career.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, let's ruin a QB for his career by pulling him back from starting and put in a QB long past his prime, just for the sake of winning a couple more games this year.

They always say the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team...there's a reason Warner's a backup and not starting anymore, guys. >>

Yes, it's mostly because he's always injured. Leinart hasn't done much of anything yet. Guys lose their starting jobs sometimes because they struggle. If his self esteem takes a permanent hit because he cannot handle losing his job, then again I say he's not ready for the NFL. They only say the backup is the most popular when the starter sucks... I'm fairly certain Sorgi isn't more popular than Manning image
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, let's ruin a QB for his career by pulling him back from starting and put in a QB long past his prime, just for the sake of winning a couple more games this year. >>

If Leinart is that tender then I wouldn't want him as my QB. If he can't handle being benched when he stinks then he is a pansy.
  • Options
    Funny that people are so unwilling to let a guy develop and learn how to play the most difficult position in all of sports - NFL quarterback. Let's not forget that Leinart has barely a year of NFL experience under his belt, yet people are ready to write him off?

How did Aikman do in his first few years? Pretty terrible...how did his career turn out? Now, before you jump all over that, no I am not comparing Leinart to Aikman, or saying that he'll be as good. But to suggest that he's not that good or that he shouldn't be allowed to develop is just yet another sign of America's 'just win now!!!' mentality.

• Options

<< <i>Funny that people are so unwilling to let a guy develop and learn how to play the most difficult position in all of sports - NFL quarterback. Let's not forget that Leinart has barely a year of NFL experience under his belt, yet people are ready to write him off?

How did Aikman do in his first few years? Pretty terrible...how did his career turn out? Now, before you jump all over that, no I am not comparing Leinart to Aikman, or saying that he'll be as good. But to suggest that he's not that good or that he shouldn't be allowed to develop is just yet another sign of America's 'just win now!!!' mentality. >>

No, I'm simply saying he needs to sit and try to learn from Warner. People say a QB needs to sit and learn sometimes from the bench instead of on his a$$ in the backfield. He hasn't done very well being tossed directly into the fire, so maybe he needs to sit until he learns more. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. Warner has shown better in games than Leinart has to this point. Further, you don't want a team to lose all hope this early in the season and I feel Warner gives them the better chance to win now. Keep Leinart in to struggle and he may end up with a Harrington-like career. Gunshy in the pocket and surrounded by a team that has no faith in him.

Sit the guy, let him learn a little more and then give him another shot.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How did Aikman do in his first few years? Pretty terrible...how did his career turn out? Now, before you jump all over that, no I am not comparing Leinart to Aikman, or saying that he'll be as good. But to suggest that he's not that good or that he shouldn't be allowed to develop is just yet another sign of America's 'just win now!!!' mentality. >>

Leinart's first full season wasn't much worse statistically than Carson Palmer's.
  • Options
    Hey, anyone remember Plunkett's resurgance with the Raiders? I can see that happening here with Warner if they let him play. He's performed much better than Leinart, and should continue to start until he gets hurt or starts fumbling again.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he dropped down to the 10 slot for a reason.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts