Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Going to buy a digital camera - need advice!!!

Don't want to spend more than $400 (ish). Will be buying one of those EZ coin studios to help with lighting. I am guessing I need something with a great Macro lens but am having trouble deciding.

Thanks in advance!!!
Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...And I'm interested in one a little cheaper if anyone has a suggestion.

I've got high speed on windows XP and a five year old computer.

Yeah, you might have to start looking at clad if you help. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The canon powershot S5 1S has macro and super makro, 8 megapixels, 18x zoom. It's available online at B&H photo for $350 + shipping. You might also want to consider something like a Nikon D-40 and looking for a used 105mm macro lens.

• Options
    Nikon 4200 or 5200 are proven performers with excellent macro, sturdy, easy to use. Much better cameras than the 4600/5600 line, which is more prevalant. $300-400, price has remained about the same for several years, as the demand for them is high while the supply is limited.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Hello - I've been using a Cannon Power Shot SD630 for 6+ MOnths now and I like it alot. I can say buying the camera with the Highest Number of Mega-pixals is not always the best answer for coin pictures. I've been told by a camera friend at work that the higher the Mega-pixals means more light needs to get into the camera and lighting becomes more difficult. I'm still learning, but very happy with the pics so far. If you want to see examples from this camera, please check out my auctions at
    www.ilikecoins.com or my auctions at ebay. I'm the seller jcocoin at both.

John
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    It takes some getting use to but the Fuji Finepix S9100 9.0 Megapixel 10.7x Optical/ 2x Digital Zoom Digital Camera does a decent job when you get the hang of it.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I liked the Casio Exilim when I tried it in the store. At home with real coins, the macro range isn't great at all and it is often hard to get the right shot. Really nice camera in general for the price but not good for coins. Just bringing it up in case that one is on your radar.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    As Coxe said, make sure the macro range is good. I had a Canon A410 and recommend it. It's less than $150 on ebay--maybe around $99 for a refurb. Has a good macro and a super macro for capturing clashes, doubled dies, and repunched dates. I think it goes to greater than 1:1. It has several light modes but doesn't have autowhite balance which is one of the great things about a more expensive camera. you'll have to find a light setting that matches your shooting area or buy lights that match your camera settings. It's only 3.2 megapixel but that's generally enough for coins.

--Jerry
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    As a rule, Nikon's have great Macros.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need a high pixel camera to get good results. These photos were take with an Olympus C2500L slr with only 2.5 megapixels. Has two macro settings, auto white balance, auto focus, wide angle to zoom f 2.8 lens. Very few of the digital zoom cameras have this fast of a lens. These cameras can be bought on e-bay for less than $200

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Most of the mid-range point and shoots have decent macro finction.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I agree with the posters that you don't need a whole lot of bucks to spend on a digital camera.The real key I think is the posting here if you want to.The software that you choose to shrink it down and post it to the board is important.Usually you can take a good Macro shot and store the pix with a few mega pixels.When you upload it to be post it that's another story....Be familiar with your software too.....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked one up from Wal Mart for under 100.00 it has a l.e.d scene so you can see the pic befor you up lode Fujifilm A210 with 3.2 Mega pixels imageimageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    i have the Canon Powershot SD600....does a fantastic job
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice - I purchased a Canon Powershot S5 IS last night. Darned thing has so many buttons it might take a year to learn it, but it seemed to have very consistant excellent ratings on the different opinion sites I looked at.

Thanks again!!!
    Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i think i said this before but i will say it again.

the most expensive camera with poor lighting sucks.

a mid range camera with excellent lighting can take amazing shots.

what did we learn in class today kids? ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for everyone's advice - I purchased a Canon Powershot S5 IS last night. Darned thing has so many buttons it might take a year to learn it, but it seemed to have very consistant excellent ratings on the different opinion sites I looked at.

Thanks again!!! >>

As with any camera, there's a learning curve. Spend some time with the manuals and learn what this camera will do. Here's where to download Adobe versions of the basic and advanced manuals. You will especially need the advanced manual. I just put them in "My Documents" and it's easy to scroll through them as I got used to all the controls. Just click on Product/Software manuals

Here to go to download site.

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I use a nikon 4500 with a photodome

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what your goals are but if I was starting out I wouldn't spend more than a couple of hundred. There are acceptable used cameras with a good macro function in the 200 range. This way you can't take decent photos, assuming you have the patience to learn how to. Then once you understand how to use the functions and are skilled enough over time you can then decide if a more expensive camera will work better for you.

I have seen more than a few spend too much for a camera, get frustrated with the learning curve and give up.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice IrishMike (and others).

Seateddime; What price range is that 4500? It looks great.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    A good site for comparing general features is Here It has a side by side comparison feature that is pretty cool, and has more options than you can shake a stick at.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After camera Ott lights.

After camera and lights, lots of practice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file