Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The value of a pedigree

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
This auction of mine went WAY higher than I expected!

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty good. The ogh didn't hurt either.

Would it have mattered if you mentioned that Eliasberg had dozens of these 1883 NC nickels in his collection?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, that's absurd. Wait until the new owner finds another one for sale!

Here's another one.

Boy, you can't swing a dead cat on ebay without hitting one of those.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's another one.

-Paul >>

The guy who won that one also bid on mine. Guess he's trying to create a hoard image
    Edited to add - the slab serial numbers aren't even close. I guess these were slabbed post-auction by the various buyers?
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Last I looked, that was a $70 coin. And it doesn't look better than a 64 even though it's wrapped in an older holder. A 340% premium ($240 on a $70 coin) is . . . ridiculous.
  • Options
    I believe there were two full rolls of these in the Eliasberg sale. Most ended up in 64 holders, with a handful at 65.

*The* Eliasberg 1883 No Cents coin was a proof, as were many of his Philadelphia mint coins. He also has several pattern nickels of this date.

"Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Is this coin back on the bay? I saw an eliasberg 83 NC in an OGH MS-64 last night while scanning through.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ford may have given this to Eliasberg as change on a real coin purchase? I just watched a 1912-s NCG AU55 $10 Indian with a John Jay Pittman pedigree bring a huge premium... without it this coin would have sat stale in an Ebay store for months without a single buyer as it just wasn't anything spectacular, maybe just something Jay tossed in his SDB?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    Listings removed by ebay???
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options

<< <i>Is this coin back on the bay? I saw an eliasberg 83 NC in an OGH MS-64 last night while scanning through. >>

I checked my photo archives to see if I still had the pics from this coin, but I don't. It could be the same coin, but it's likely there's more than one still in an OGH. If it is the same coin, it's changed hands since I sold it, as I shipped it to CA, not HI.

Listings removed by ebay???

Because it's more than 90 days old. Look at the date of my original post.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I've seen three or four 'eliasberg' N/C nickels in OGH ms-64. I just thought it was interesting that this thread got bumped the day i saw another one. It's the first i've seen since yours sold IIRC.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file