is this cent an example of the DDO die#3?? there is only doubling on the date

also, what do these go for? just curious, it was a roll find

g

1972 DDO

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    strike doubling
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>strike doubling >>

I concur
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    great picture
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

shelf doubling but image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    I agree with the rest....good pic though. Plus the Die 3 does have some doubling on the "In God We Trust"...really easy to see.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Learning time. What is shelf doubling? Also, should a strike doubling cause doubling on everything on the coin?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

yep, strike doubling.

Here is one I found not too long ago in a roll. I can't remember if it's #2, #3, #4. IGWT and the top of the "LIB" in LIBERTY is doubled.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> should a strike doubling cause doubling on everything on the coin? >>

Not always, here is an example of strong machine doubling on only 1 part of the design, the date and MM.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I have a SBA with similar doubling. Are there any of the SBA's documented with doubling like this?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> should a strike doubling cause doubling on everything on the coin? >>

Not always, here is an example of strong machine doubling on only 1 part of the design, the date and MM.
    image >>

I am trying to imaging how this is happens and it does not make sense to me. If a coin moves in a strike then how does shifting occur on only one or two features of the coin when the die is solid and rigid and all of the features on the die in constant spacial relation to each other.image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

It's a very strange phenomenon that I will not even attempt to explain. very strange.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>yep, strike doubling.

Here is one I found not too long ago in a roll. I can't remember if it's #2, #3, #4. IGWT and the top of the "LIB" in LIBERTY is doubled.

image >>

I found one just like this a few weeks back, I need to check chucks site and see which # it is

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

shelf = machine doubling image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>shelf = machine doubling image >>

Do the TPG's make a differentiation between die doubling and machine doubling? How can you what it is by looking at the coin? I am thinking that if there is more than one coin exibiting the same doubling it has to be the die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file