Home Sports Talk
Options

Glavine's reaction

I was listening to his interview while driving back to New Jersey on I-95 (I was visiting someone in the hospital today.) Anyway, he spoke about being "disappointed" - but didn't appear all that affected by the loss or by the gut-wrenching last few weeks of the season. Really got me disgusted.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was listening to his interview while driving back to New Jersey on I-95 (I was visiting someone in the hospital today.) Anyway, he spoke about being "disappointed" - but didn't appear all that affected by the loss or by the gut-wrenching last few weeks of the season. Really got me disgusted. >>

I think his point was that nothing in sports is a "catastrophe" or a "tragedy" when compared to real-life disasters and the impact to their victims and families.

And while I think he's right about that, saying it in a press conference right after such a collapse was a stupid thing to do. A few weeks or months later, maybe, but not right after it happened.
  • Options
    I saw one interview, and it was weak to say the least.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a bad day or week or month at the office is not earth-shattering to any of us either.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was listening to his interview while driving back to New Jersey on I-95 (I was visiting someone in the hospital today.) Anyway, he spoke about being "disappointed" - but didn't appear all that affected by the loss or by the gut-wrenching last few weeks of the season. Really got me disgusted. >>

That's because Glavine is really an Atlanta Brave.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's because Glavine is really an Atlanta Brave.

Well, he made no effort to hide the fact that he wanted to go back to Atlanta last offseason, but they didn't want him. Not that I think that would affect his professionalism or anything like that.

Rumor being bandied around on NYC radio is that the Latin players on the Mets don't like playing for Willie and want him out. LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I would think that the entire team collapsing in September would get you disgusted, not just one bad pitching outing.

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Look at the players Omar has signed (gave ungodly money to Beltran, Pedro and Delgado )or traded for, mainly (if not all) Latino players.....

look at the players he has gotten rid of..Bannister, Lindstrom, jacobs, ( did he trade kazmir too)....mainly white,

look at the players likely to be gone (loduca, Glavine)

its clear he has his vision on what he wants his team to be...

Only wright breaks omar's goal off an all latino MLB team. and Mets fans would have gone crazy if he got rid of wright....

maybe the team sees this and that is why glavine doesnt feel bad...he never felt wanted....
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote15 mentioned in another thread that Glavine "spit-the-bit" which of course means a racehorse that has given up and doesn't want to run any longer. I think it's clear by now that having too many high priced "mercenaries" on any team in any sport isn't a recipe for championships. These teams win regular season games because of more talent, but in the playoffs and in close pennant races, the lesser talented teams adrenaline rises to the point of outplaying and outhustling the more talented players who really deep down don't care if the team wins or loses. This isn't a perfect rule but overall we've seen this on a number of other teams, especially in the NFL where high priced free agents have a long history of percentagewise not performing to expectations.

Nothing wrong with signing some high priced free agents but there needs to be a mix of home grown and drafted type players, young and up and coming players along with the free agents. And there needs to be a salary cap in baseball so that teams who get "lucky" and are fortunate to have a home grown superstar can keep that superstar if they want to. I mean Beltran had a heckuva run with the Mets late in the year and throughout the year, a heckuva motivated ballplayer and a superstar, but with a cap he'd be playing for the Royals and along with him they could have a team which has a chance for a championship instead of the Royals for all intents and purposes almost never having any chance.