Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where does one find these SCD coins?

Were they ever collected by the public in their day or are they hiding mostly in coin jars and dresser drawers? The only one I have was dug up while planting a tree with my Grandfather in 1979! I don't see these at local coin shows either? Fill in the ignorant public including myself. Where does one find these besides Heritage auctions and other auction venues???

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    A couple of the local shops in my area usually have a few laying around.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    E-Bay under So Called Dollars
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Were they ever collected by the public in their day >>

Yes. Many were event souvenir tokens.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Were they ever collected by the public in their day or are they hiding mostly in coin jars and dresser drawers? The only one I have was dug up while planting a tree with my Grandfather in 1979! I don't see these at local coin shows either? Fill in the ignorant public including myself. Where does one find these besides Heritage auctions and other auction venues??? >>

They are usually at my local shows. Actually many dealers actually have them somewhere. They may only have one or two. Look through the exonumia books at the shows. Many dealers have them there.

Most of the listed SC$s are souvenirs from events such as anniversaries of towns or villages or groups or World's Fairs like 1893 Columbian or 1904 Louisiana Purchase.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Several dealers at the monthly Parsippany, NJ show carry SCDs - a couple of dealers have fairly large inventories of them.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find a lot of them in the inventory of token and medal dealers.

They often don't know what they are and when they do they'll probably
    be even more overpriced. image
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file