Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Should I be happy or sad because I am a ZAR collector ? Now with a few pictures of NON ZAR coins. :)

Last years Spink's auction and last weeks Heritage auction showed some pretty strong prices for certain coins. image

Obviously it could also cost me more to upgrade etc. image
The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    No problem brother, you've already got the market cornered so I hardly believe there is any coin left that would represent an upgrade for you!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Market cornered?

Heck, I'd love to see a sequential presentation of ZAR goodies he's got squirreled away.

Is he up to it?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect what you like and be happy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collect what you like and be happy >>

What' Kat said!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck, I'd love to see a sequential presentation of ZAR goodies he's got squirreled away. >>

I would too !
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great having a field to yourself but it can be lonely.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Some non-Zar SA coins:

1935 George V 2 1/2 Shillings Proof 65 - Mintage 20:

1934 George V 2 Shillings Proof 65 - Mintage 24:

1931 George V 2 Shillings Proof 65 Cameo - Mintage 62:

1931 George V 1/2 Penny Proof 64 BN - Mintage 62:

1934 George V 1 Penny Proof 66 BN - Mintage 24:

Unfortunately the above coins are locked away at the bank under a strict time agreement so I can't see them for a number of years. So like you, the viewer, I can only enjoy the pictures. Better safe then sorry though.
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

You should be happy, because ZAR is a short set, albeit very expensive in high grades. When you're doing a set like that, you should concentrate on it, and stay away from other desirable coins, a discipline that not all collectors have. The completion of it however, gives immense pleasure ,at least momentarily.

Sometimes, it's not bad to rethink of the reasons why we picked such area to collect. It's never too late to change if needed.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    As someone who is just getting interested in ZAR coins, seeing these pictures are quite inspirational ... I thank you!
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    O K I give up. What are ZAR coins?
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight from Wiki:

The South African Republic (Dutch: Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek, or ZAR), often informally known as the Transvaal Republic, was an independent Afrikaner/Boer country in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th century. It is not to be confused with the present-day South Africa; rather, it occupied the area later known as the South African province of Transvaal. The ZAR was established in 1852, and was independent from 1856 to 1877, then again from 1881 to 1900 after the First Boer War, in which the Boers regained their independence from the British Empire.

In 1900 the ZAR was annexed by the United Kingdom during the Second Boer War but the Boers officially gave in only in 1902. In 1910 it became the Transvaal province of the Union of South Africa. The first president of the South African Republic was Marthinus Wessel Pretorius, elected in 1857... more here.

Also, a good read on the subject would be this page with information on Paul Kruger.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Thanks Roman-it seems like I am always thanking you for something. It's great to have such a wonderful group of guys who are so knowledgeable about so many subjects. A great forumn to belong to.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Thanks Roman-it seems like I am always thanking you for something. It's great to have such a wonderful group of guys who are so knowledgeable about so many subjects. A great forumn to belong to. >>

yeah, Roman is great, and this is one cool forum!

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Marcel,

it all depends....how close are you to completing your set? if you're done or close to it, you have a little gold mine in those coins! if you have quite a few to go, i feel for you man; the rising market lifts all boats. problem is, you have to be in a boat for it to lift......(okay that sounded better in my head) image My point is that many of us wish we would have purchased more a few months or years ago, as many world issues have seen dramatic price increases. My fave issues, Vicky GB Crowns have seen a definite rise in price these last few years. makes me wanna' cry to see what many went for around 2000 versus now.

you have some nice ones there, and i'm sure they will only continue to appreciate (especially with mintages that small!)

thanks for sharing!
    Doug
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just to be clear - those coins in the photos above are not ZAR coins. Rather they are South African Union coins. Zar coins either have a portrait of Paul Kruger on the Obverse or they are blank ( Kaalpennies & Kaalponds - Kaal meaning Bald ).

I am very happy with my ZAR collection - I do not have all the pieces as yet but I will still endevour to collect the whole series in AU or better ( that's much harder then it looks and unfortunately more expensive as well ). Also there is only 1 unique 'Single 9' and that costs an arm and a leg.......and more, so that most probably won't ever be part of my collection.

There are a few coins that I have not even seen yet - the Proof 1/2 Pond, the Proof Penny come to mind. But then again I still have about 35 years of collecting left ( hopefully longer ). I am happy to report that I do have a spectacularly toned Proof Shilling though and only wish that I had the photographic skills of Roman or Coinpictures.

Anyhow long story short - I am selling of a lot of lower grade stuff and doubles over the next few weeks in order to fund my ZAR habit. image

Zar's Ebay