Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ilikecoins.com Open For Business!- Testing Giveaways Announced!

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks again to everyone who helped us test the site a few weeks ago. We are finally ready to go live!

Tonight at 8:00 PM CST, the www.ilikecoins.com link will become active, and we will be open for business.

We have also added an online bourse for fixed-price sales, so you now have a choice of how you can sell.

We have a 1/4-page advertisement appearing in the Oct. 15th edition of 'Coin World'. This issue begins mailing this Tuesday. Listing before then will ensure that when our ad goes out, your coins will be there for purchase. We will also be sending out a press release to the major numismatic publications, and have more advertising planned.

As a way of saying 'thank you' to everyone who helped us with the testing and registered during that period, you will not be charged fees by us for anything you sell on the site before Nov. 2, 2007.

If you are interested in listing items before the 8PM go live time, email me directly at cmerlo@austin.rr.com. That way, I can let you know when everything is ready and you can start listing using the test site link (everything will carry over)...also, please use that email address for any issues you may encounter, or questions you may have- although we have spent the last few weeks swatting the bugs that were encountered during testing, some may appear that we did not catch.

One last thing- three of you won coins in the test auction giveaways- I haven't heard from you yet. If you don't want the coin, let me know...

Thanks again for your time and help!
--Christian
You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Christian - Tell me about "COMMUNITY BASED DISPUTE RESOLUTION".

Thanks

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Christian - Tell me about "COMMUNITY BASED DISPUTE RESOLUTION".

Thanks

ilikecoins has a 'Resolution Commitee' of members who are asked to help decide certian issues on the site. These issues include: authenticity issues, buyer-seller disputes, and negative mark appeals. The Resolution Committe is comprised of members who have maintained a high level of feedback on the site, and are invited to participate. In return for their services, they receive a discounted rate on their auction fees for the next two weeks following their decision. Here's an example of how it works:

1. A user sees an auction for a coin they believe is counterfeit. They refer the auction to the committee by completing an online form.
    2. The seller is notified, and they are given an opportunity to issue a statement regarding the auction in their defense. The high bidder is notified that the auction has been referred as well.
    3. Once the statement is received (or not received after 48hours), the group that will render the decision is chosen from the Committee Member pool at random, and emailed, asking them to issue a decision on the matter.
    4. After reviewing the auction and statements about the issue, the chosen members complete an online form, with their decision, and a comment about it, if they choose. For an issue such as this, the committee can choose to end the auction, end the auction and place a negative mark against the seller, or allow the auction to continue. They also have the option to decline making a decision, at which point, another random member will be chosen to take their place.
    5. The majority decision is determined, and carried out.

We tested this during the test period, and it worked exceptionally well. We received a lot of good feedback on it. In a way, it's similar to what goes on here- someone sees an issue on eBay or another site and posts it here. The forum members then help by emailing the seller, reporting to eBay, etc...with our site, the users get to decide the outcome, right there on the site.

--Christian

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    can't wait
    coins are my life
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking to check it out image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    go my watch set for 10:00 EST!!

imageimage
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i will check it out for sure. interesting question about the community
    resolution thing.
  • Options
    Best of luck on the website, Christian.

John

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    Here are the winners of the 'secret auctions' during the testing a few weeks ago:

oxy8890 - 1947-S toned Roosevelt Dime NGC MS-64 Star

AgEagle - 1914-S Lincoln Cent EF-40

goodbuyer - 1919-D Buffalo Nickel ANACS VG-8

Please PM me and verify your shipping address, and I'll get the coins out this week.

We are going to continue the 'secret auctions' even after we go live...no one will know which ones they are, but if you're the high bidder, the coin is free!
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put up a few goodies
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Online and registered, but no auctions to start with??
  • Options
    True...that's why we opened it up for listing before the advertising hit...there's no risk for listing (no fees until Nov. 2), so go ahead- list something!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I didn't or couldn't see anything to buy?
  • Options
    This is a listing period, for the most part...we expect to have traffic when our Coin World ad and press releases hit...we mainly want to invite our friends on the forum to list coins, but you can bid if you like, once the listings start...
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't or couldn't see anything to buy? >>

thats because it is going live now as i type this, i`m sure things will appear shortlyimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Thanks to jcocoin...our first listing! You ROCK!image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It's a shame you've made the conscious decision to exclude world coins from your site, especially given your self proclaimed mission of "preserving and promoting the dignity and enthusiasm of numismatics". Perhaps a better name would be "ionlylikeuscoins.com"...

To file under constructive criticism:

1. The font used on the buttons is very hard to read, and is poorly rendered to boot. Stick with a sans-serif font like Ariel or Geneva.

2. When the page loads, I have no idea what is clickable, since links are in the same color as text. My first attempt was to click on the title to go to an auction, which unfortunately is not linked, nor is the picture, which was my second attempt. I would recommend making the title and the picture link to the auction and omitting the "View" link entirely.

Nice concept, but the web design is a bit rough...
  • Options
    I'm on board and ready to go.

I will try selling some lower priced coins and see how it goes.

It will take a while to get used to the layout, as I'm so used to ebay/heritage etc...

But I think this is a great idea!!!!
  • Options
    Hey Christian,
    Can you edit auctions once listed? I need to add photos to the auction I just listed. image

Site looks good, excited to start using it. image

Harrison
    Stop Motion

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options

...for the daytime folks!
  • Options
    Hello, I just finished my registration

Some more feedback:
    * If the site is called ilikecoins.com, users should not be redirected to URLs like https://787900.web001.whp.server-hosting.com especially with all the phishing sites out there.
    * Are you not allowing non-US based members?

Good luck with the site!
  • Options
    I tried to register but the site will not accept non US members.
    Tony Harmer
    Isle of Man
  • Options

* If the site is called ilikecoins.com, users should not be redirected to URLs like https://787900.web001.whp.server-hosting.com especially with all the phishing sites out there.

This is with our web hosting company, and has to do with the way it handles SSL and non-SSL encrypted pages...you will never receive an email from ilikecoins with a link to the site in it- this is done to help curtail phishing.

* Are you not allowing non-US based members?

Apologies to our friends outside the U.S. Currently, we do not have the site open to non-US users. We do plan to open it up to the rest of the world, once we get going.

Also, there was a post about world coins...support for world coins is definitely in the plan...we wanted to start with just U.S., mainly because it's what I know. Because of how we handle our searches and listings, a very compreehensive world coin database needs to be built, just as we did for U.S coins. More than likely we will need to hire a world coin expert to help with this, which will have to wait until we know how the site will do...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can sellers place a reserve? I can't see a seller wanting to use this without a reserve until sufficent traffic is established.
  • Options
    Yes, you can place a reserve. There are no fees for doing so....
  • Options
    I had to reply from work hence alt id.
    Please keep us non US types upto date as to when we can register and when you enter the Darkside.
    Many thanks.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Just signed up. Great site!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a problem with the site? I cannot seem to get on.
  • Options
    Just checked- everything's working OK. Please try again and PM me if you still can't get on...
  • Options
    I'm getting a "Runtime" Error, also.
    SM

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Please PM me with where on the site you arewhen you get the error...
  • Options
    The home page errors should be fixed. I modified the page slightly earlier today (the thumbnail images are now links) and I made a small error that caused big problems (isn't that always how it works with computers!)

--Christian
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    This is what I got....

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

• Options
    Ok I registered and was looking at the toned morgan which shows no bids. I was going to place a bid but it says the next bid amount is $99 bucks? Am I to assume that the reserve is $99 so it won't take a bid for less than that or what?

Thanks.....
  • Options
    The seller has set a starting bid of $99.00...that is the next bid...
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Looked at your site Sundsay nite. Looks good and I intend to join and list, and buy. Can't get on tonight though. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Tom
  • Options
    cmerlo1, i listed 3 so far to help you get it going.

thanks for fixing the plat bullion listing glitch, its up there nowimage

good luckimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I just reverted home page to the version that was out last night...if you still have problems getting to the site, try www.ilikecoins.com/home.aspx...
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Here's what I'm getting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

• Options
    still getting the error, too
    SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have the hosting company looking at it now...should be fixed soon.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just logged in and tried to put a bid in on a coin and got following;

Input string was not in a correct format.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +211
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +74

[InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "" to type 'Double' is not valid.]
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +218
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToDouble(String Value) +6
    ASP.confirmbid_aspx.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +326
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +105
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +107
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

• Options
    We are currently experiencing a web entrepeneur's worst nightmare- there is a server issue with our hosting company, which they have been unable to figure out as of now, with our new site that just went live. This was the cause of the issues everyone has been having...I apologize for the issue, and ask that you all please be patient and give us another chance when the issue is fixed. I will let everyone know when that is...

--Christian
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    I just listed a coin for sale and everything went nice and smooth-very easy to follow step by step instructions.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options

<< <i>We are currently experiencing a web entrepeneur's worst nightmare- there is a server issue with our hosting company, which they have been unable to figure out as of now, with our new site that just went live. This was the cause of the issues everyone has been having...I apologize for the issue, and ask that you all please be patient and give us another chance when the issue is fixed. I will let everyone know when that is...

--Christian >>

i`m using your site with no problems.
  • Options
    Good to hear something positive tonight! The issue is that some of our users can get to the site just fine, while others can't...thanks for hanging in there!
  • Options
    Just got of the phone w/the hosting company- everything should be good now. Thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    Disregard the email about the fee rate expiration- I had it set for 10/2 instead of 11/2. The rates are adjusted, and the auction fees are free until 11/2 as promised!
  • Options
    started to list coins. i love the listing set up. its so easy. i really this works out for and all of us that are using it.
    coins are my life
  • Options
    Just a heads up, still can't access the site. I've tried mutiple computers and browsers and still get the same error message.
    Thanks,
    SM

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    it works fine
    coins are my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list